GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guess where Phillips ends up

+4
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
CockRoche
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I thought he was going nowhere and was going to be our future captain?

Once again, name a better choice & I'll try not to laugh too hard.

How about we go with the guy Alfie picks? Wink

17Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:After going over the list of 2011 FA D, I'll say nowhere, & that he is re-signed here.

You've already agreed that our D is crowded without Phillips so why would they be shopping the FA market?

Gonchar, Kuba, Campoli, Carkner, Lee, Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen all fighting for 6 spots.

Gonchar - Do we really think he's going anywhere with the term left on his deal?
Campoli - Why not re-sign him? He's still relatively young, still showing improvement on the defensive side, he's an RFA and he'll be a cheap re-signing. Throw in the fact that a first rounder was involved in obtaining him in the first place.
Lee - No one wants him and he's shown now that he's a capable 7th if not 6th D
Karlsson - Obviously he's here
Carkner - Perfect bottom pairing D who can play some PK. No reason to move him.
Kuba - Good luck finding a taker. Maybe someone takes him in the off season or he's bought out so we'll give that one as gone for the sake of argument.

So that's 5 spots taken up with one of Rundblad or Cowen taking the 6th. Do they go with 7 D again this year? I'm not convinced since it's a re-build and they'll probably be pinching pennies especially if they buy out Kuba.

We're not starting next year with that sorry-sack, cluster-Diddle of a D core. No Cussing way. Melnyk is a guy who wants to win, sooner rather than later. You'll be seeing some of those players / contracts going for sure, if it can be done. Our D was too brutal this year to think about bringing it back basically entirely intact, with the only change being Phillips gone & a rookie inserted.

18Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:After going over the list of 2011 FA D, I'll say nowhere, & that he is re-signed here.

You've already agreed that our D is crowded without Phillips so why would they be shopping the FA market?

Gonchar, Kuba, Campoli, Carkner, Lee, Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen all fighting for 6 spots.

Gonchar - Do we really think he's going anywhere with the term left on his deal?
Campoli - Why not re-sign him? He's still relatively young, still showing improvement on the defensive side, he's an RFA and he'll be a cheap re-signing. Throw in the fact that a first rounder was involved in obtaining him in the first place.
Kuba - Good luck finding a taker. Maybe someone takes him in the off season or he's bought out so we'll give that one as gone for the sake of argument.

So that's 5 spots taken up with one of Rundblad or Cowen taking the 6th. Do they go with 7 D again this year? I'm not convinced since it's a re-build and they'll probably be pinching pennies especially if they buy out Kuba.

We're not starting next year with that sorry-sack, cluster-Diddle of a D core. No Cussing way. Melnyk is a guy who wants to win, sooner rather than later. You'll be seeing some of those players / contracts going for sure, if it can be done. Our D was too brutal this year to think about bringing it back basically entirely intact, with the only change being Phillips gone & a rookie inserted.

Actually, in my scenario, I'm being realistic about the amount of movement that is acutally possible and it's Kuba AND Phillips gone. You've already said don't get our hopes up since there probably won't be much movement and now your saying there will be lots but we'll keep Phillips.

So what changes do you anticipate? What does our D look like next season?

19Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If it's a lot of turnover you want since the D sucked arse then Phillips, Campoli, Kuba ( FingersCrossed ) will all be gone and they'll take their chances with an FA rather than bring back that "sad sack" D core.

20Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Actually, in my scenario, I'm being realistic about the amount of movement that is acutally possible and it's Kuba AND Phillips gone. You've already said don't get our hopes up since there probably won't be much movement and now your saying there will be lots but we'll keep Phillips.

So what changes do you anticipate? What does our D look like next season?

If I had a crystal ball for these things, I would consult it more often. I agree that movement won't be easy, but I just can't see us bringing back that disastrous D core entirely intact.

Lots of decisions to be made after the Phillips decision. The only guarantee I'd made about OTT's blueline next year right now is that Karlsson is on it, & that Cowen is likely to have a spot reserved. After that, everything's up in the air.

21Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously, I don't want to see Phillips dealt but I'd hate to pass on a big return, which would be a first for one of our upcoming UFAs.

22Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You also said Sens fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think there'll be a lot of movement did you not?

I'm being realistic here. Obviously they regret the Gonchar signing but who would take that contract? Obviously they'd love to move Kuba but again, who would take that contract? Why would they move out Campoli? He's one of the only D that actually is improving despite the disastrous season the Sens are having and he's young, an RFA and will be cheap. Lee? No one wants him. Phillips - He's one piece they have a chance at trading and one player that played a big role in the crap-fest that is our D this year. Fine they keep him since they don't like the FA market. That's yet another piece of this disastrous D core that remains.

23Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:You also said Sens fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think there'll be a lot of movement did you not?

I'm being realistic here. Obviously they regret the Gonchar signing but who would take that contract? Obviously they'd love to move Kuba but again, who would take that contract? Why would they move out Campoli? He's one of the only D that actually is improving despite the disastrous season the Sens are having and he's young, an RFA and will be cheap. Lee? No one wants him. Phillips - He's one piece they have a chance at trading and one player that played a big role in the crap-fest that is our D this year. Fine they keep him since they don't like the FA market. That's yet another piece of this disastrous D core that remains.

I said that about this coming trade deadline (Feb. 28th). I expect to see Kovalev & Ruutu gone, for sure; possibly Phillips; & maybe a guy like Lee or Campoli. Tops. If you ask me. Kuba & Fisher strike me as unlikely to move at that deadline, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Leading up to the draft & into the UFA period, however, anything & everything's possible, trade-wise. We also have buyout options we may have to consider exercising. If you ask me, next year's D has at least two new faces on it, regardless whether we keep or trade Gonchar and/or Phillips.

Unless the plan is to keep losing. Then, by all means, bring back that D core.

24Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, in my scenario I granted a Kuba buy out or possible trade for arguments sake. I also said Phillips was likely traded so that's two new faces right there. If they really want a new D core then Campoli is gone as well I suppose.

25Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:You also said Sens fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think there'll be a lot of movement did you not?

Yep, expect Ruutu, Kovalev and probably Phillips to go. Can't see many other than that.

26Guess where Phillips ends up - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess where Phillips ends up Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Tampa Bay.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum