GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grade the Sens

+3
SDH89
wprager
PTFlea
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Grade the Sens Empty Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boo Boo had his say, now have yours.

Jason Spezza - C He's tougher to play against, but he was having a terrible season offensively. Some can be blamed on his lack of effective wingers, but in the end, he's paid to put points on the board.

Daniel Alfredsson - B+ Still one of the better Sens' forwards, but he's either slowing down or battling through injuries.

Milan Michalek - C Looks bad some nights, unstoppable others. Hopefully he turns it around - and hopefully he's one day 100% healthy.

Peter Regin - C Works his behind off, but can't buy goals this year. Nice player to have, but needs to take advantage of the gaping hole in the top 6 before it's too late.

Nick Foligno - C See Regin.

Alex Kovalev - D- - Honourable mention for a couple of spurts of good play, but in the end the Sens got ripped off and so did the fans. The countdown mercifully begins to the end of his career as a Senator.

Mike Fisher - C Despite his goal totals, his season has been weak IMO. Couldn't initiate contact for a long stretch, rendering him close to useless. The Sens might want to think about their position regarding Fisher, but at the same time it can't be denied he'd be a good role model for the young players coming in (hopefully in work ethic and not in the maddening inconsistencies he shows)

Chris Kelly - A- It's either time to sell high, or time to appreciate that this is one of the few guys left from the old guard who is worth keeping long term. Unfortunately, he's much better suited to teams who have a lead and need it held.

Chris Neil - A- On a team that looks so soft at times, it nice to know what you get from Neil every night. One of the key pieces of the re-tool.

Jarkko Ruutu - B- Aside from the horrendously stupid penalties he takes, Ruutu has been quite good. The penalties are killer though, so it's time to trade him in for a prospect or pick (plus we have 1001 prospects who want to take his job).

Jesse Winchester - A- Never once saw him take a shift off. Hard worker, future PK star, a little offence sprinkled in. Perfect 3rd or 4th line player.

Ryan Shannon - B+ I like his play a lot. He loses focus from time to time and becomes less effective, but I would think about re-signing him at league minimum as a guy who can fill in and give you absolutely everything every night. A little more offense would be nice with the increased icetime and our lack of scoring, but that's life.

Chris Phillips C Great some nights, brutal others. How do you judge someone like this with a solid past decade?

Sergei Gonchar D- Horrible defensively for the whole year, but it's actually getting...worse. An absolutely forgettable season for Gonchar, not enough offense, terrible D and surpassed on the depth charts by a 20 year old.

Filip Kuba - D I realize he's missed a lot of time, but he's been terrible from soup to nuts.

Chris Campoli B+ Has changed from a strictly offensive D-man to a bit of an 'everything' guy like Dan Hamhuis - but lesser defensively. Quite an interesting season so far.

Erik Karlsson - A- He makes mistakes - some of them very damaging, but he's the offensive pulse of the team without question. He got through a rough start to the season and now routinely makes wonderful plays in all three zones. Has the best outlet pass since the pre-suck Redden and a rocket of a shot. Is learning to take opposing players out by out-smarting them. Nothing much negative to write here - still could use some defensive work, but he's 20 years old, that'll come.

Matt Carkner - C- Strong as an ox, but he's being beaten a lot to the outside this year - and you can't do that and survive in this league. Is the fighter of the group other than Neil, so he's still quite valuable - and he isn't shy in hitting and blocking shots. Needs to rebound in the 2nd half and really try to pay attention to his positioning.

Brian Elliott - C Not very good. Looks like Vezina himself some nights, other nights he's completely off his game. Doesn't get a ton of help, but hasn't been anything more than a back-up in training this year. It will do him very, very well to have a strong 2nd half. No one cares about the GAA anymore, post a +.910 save % to prove you're a number one goalie. Chance of a lifetime from here on in.

Pascal Leclaire - D Who knows? Like Kuba it's hard to assess, but his value to this team is an F. He's been decent enough in his play to earn a C, so the average is D. Countdown to replacing him with...anyone else is on. Not to mention his cap hit.

Bryan Murray - C- Hard to say, I liked what he did in bringing in Gonchar - and I would have done the same. But I'm not being paid to GM the team and when the player flops this badly, you take some heat. Same applies doubly for Kovalev. And Leclaire. Hasn't done much to change the scoring woes of the Sens, hasn't given Butler enough time, hasn't made a deal to bring in someone. People will say it's near impossible to make a deal in this NHL, but when you GM a team and the team is bombing, you better do something. Excellent eye for talent, has possible single-handedly changed the Sens' D for the next 15 years. Has made it a potential puck-possession mammoth, with a keen eye on Detroit's points from the backend system. Final year of his contract, getting up there, this could be it for him, but he can rest knowing he at least accelerated the rebuild.

Cory Clouston - D I was and still am a fan of Clouston, but he's looked lost out there this year. He changes lines regularly, but doesn't do it in game enough. He's very stubborn - even when things are going poorly, which can be very negative. Made a wrong choice in allowing Fisher to play when he couldn't initiate contact, cost the team in a big way. His system looks confused a lot of the time with guys not in the right place to accept passes, icings, poor line changes. Doesn't send out the right lines when the Sens are stagnant, doesn't scream for a harder forecheck. His in-game adjustments are non-existent, the same things that were beating the Sens in the 1st are routinely beating them in the 3rd - until it's all but too late that is. Has earned a critical job analysis and will likely not make it through. Too bad, there were more than a few things conspiring against him obviously, but he made some choices that haven't helped along the way.

2Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I actually disagree with Spezza getting a lower grade than Alfredsson. Spezza is a playmaking center; he is only expected to put up points if his wingers help him out. Regin has *ONE GOAL*!!!!! I swear, put Smith on the top line and Spezza would have more points -- is that because Smith makes Spezza better? Umm, that's a big fat no.

As for how I'd grade them, I'd give both a B- if I'm in a generous mood.

Neil getting an A is absolutely ridiculous. I'd give him a C, but then some might misinterpret that, so C-. Karlsson is a B+ (he's an A on some nights and a D on others).

And I think he's made up my mind about Clouston. If Booboo thinks he earns a D then he must be doing pretty well.

Now, how would you rate Booboo himself?

3Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Spezza: B- I liked the changes he implemented into his game, but was not producing nearly enough before his injury.

Alfredsson: B- Clearly on the downside of his great career. Has lost a step, but still has his great shot which he should use more on the PP.

Fisher: C Valuable trade piece that we should seriously consider dealing. Not doing enough to warrant his contract anymore.

Michalek: D Utter waste of space. Nobody seems to complain about his heavy contract moving forward (4 million per for another 4 years). On pace for a whopping 30 points after collecting only 34 points last year. Don't hold your breath fans, this guy will never be healthy. Hopefully we can pawn him off on some idiot GM at the deadline.

Kovalev: D Same boat as Michalek, not producing enough for what he's getting. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a chance on him at the deadline, his days here are numbered.

Kelly: A Finally starting to appreciate Kelly's value to this team. Nothing flashy, but quite dependable, and has been solid all year. A keeper for sure.

Neil: B+ Effectively fills his role and always impresses me with his forecheck and hitting.

Ruutu: C- Used to be one of the best pests in the league, hardly even notice him anymore. Gone at the deadline.

Regin: D One of the reasons why the Sens have the 2nd least amount of goals in the league. Was counted on to score 20-25 this year. I'd be shocked if he hit 4.

Foligno: C Hasn't produced as much as Regin, but is coming around as of late. The effort is there for sure, and let's hope he continues to find his way.

Shannon: B- Has played well with limited minutes this year.

Winchester: C+ I can't get too excited about Winchester, Zack Smith is a better fit for 4th line center. Has had some decent games.

Phillips: C Has had one of his worst halves of his career. Not willing to throw the towel on this guy yet though - he's still only 32 and I believe still has a lot in him.

Gonchar: C- Had a great start to the year, then his play just tailed off completely. I'm willing to be patient, notoriously always has a bad 1st year with a new team. I'd like to see his minutes reduced. He shouldn't be playing 24+ minutes a night.

Karlsson: A The best player on this team. Makes his fair share of mistakes, but the mistakes are happening because he's forcing the play due to a lack of help around him. One of the only bright spots to this team, and worth the price of admission.

Kuba: D- Why are you on this team? Go away.

Campoli: B I've liked his game for the most part this year. Nothing fancy, but no real glaring errors. An effective, cheap, bottom pairing defenceman who can fill in on the PP as well.

Carkner: C- Taken a step back this year. Looks really slow and gets beaten wide constantly. Should really be our 7th D-Man. I've liked Lee better. Still, plays the role of enforcer quite well (only when he's not fighting Colton Orr)

Elliott: C- Finally been exposed for what he is, and will always be. An adequate-average backup.

Leclaire: D Had a few good string of games, but will never be able to be a Number 1 goalie in this league due to injuries.

Clouston: D Constantly outcoached. Showing that his early success with this team was just a flash in the pan, and doesn't have what it takes to coach in this league.

Murray: D+ Has garnered this team a couple of good prospects, but has failed in every other field. Time to call it a career Murray.

4Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Here's my grade for the sens this season:

A giant F

5Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I actually disagree with Spezza getting a lower grade than Alfredsson. Spezza is a playmaking center; he is only expected to put up points if his wingers help him out. Regin has *ONE GOAL*!!!!! I swear, put Smith on the top line and Spezza would have more points -- is that because Smith makes Spezza better? Umm, that's a big fat no.

As for how I'd grade them, I'd give both a B- if I'm in a generous mood.

Neil getting an A is absolutely ridiculous. I'd give him a C, but then some might misinterpret that, so C-. Karlsson is a B+ (he's an A on some nights and a D on others).

And I think he's made up my mind about Clouston. If Booboo thinks he earns a D then he must be doing pretty well.

Now, how would you rate Booboo himself?

Spezza's had 34 goals in the past, he should stop trying to be a playmaker and start trying to be the sniper. I gave Spezza a low rating because there's a lot at stake when you're a top line player, you need to put up the points while playing a strong game - especially in this NHL. It's coming along for Spezza because he's harder to play against, but there comes a time when if the production is down that much, the finger points at you.

As for Neil, what do you expect from him? Without him who's doing the hitting, forechecking? I'm surprised anyone would grade Neil poorly, I think he's been great, but we're all entitled to our opinion. Ahhhhh!

6Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm tired of Neil putting on a "staged" fight when the outcome of the game has been decided; and I'm not thrilled about his "showmanship" when he tries to get the crowd going. Do that in the *first* period.

He and Ruutu are also once again taking too many penalties. With their 3rd line ice time they have managed to lead the team (19 minors for Ruutu and 16 for Neil). By comparison, their center, Kelly, has 11.

If he wasn't hitting he'd be sitting.

7Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I agree with most of SDH's, but I will add these 3.

Spartacat: D-
...tired of his shtick!

Dean Brown: D
-...awful! Stop telling stories and whining about how Ottawa doesn't get any Power Plays!

Denis Potvin: D...almost as bad as Dean. He always messes up and says "Panthers" instead of Senators, and he provides nothing to the clour commentary position that we don't already know. Brutal voice, too.

8Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Boo Boo - B for Buffet

Jason Spezza - C Would have been an easy B if he were consistent a could have been a D if he played as poorly as he did at the beginning all season long. C is in between.

Daniel Alfredsson - A Still leads the team in scoring. If he's "losing a step" what does that say about the entire roster?

Milan Michalek - B- Looks bad only "OK" some nights, unstoppable others. I can't find a way to criticize anything other than the injuries and he's currently on pace for 78 games so I don't even get the outcry about that. Could still get to 20-25 goals.

Peter Regin - C Probably should stand for "Centre." I can't really say he's had a chance to get comfortable with steady linemates, etc. Maybe if there's a housecleaning and he sticks around, he can have a big second half.

Nick Foligno - C- Everytime time he plays 2 or 3 good games in a row all I can think is "sell high."

Alex Kovalev - F - I stuck up for this guy. Should be at least an occasional gamebreaker. Hasn't even done that.

Mike Fisher - C- Hurts a lot more than he helps. Memo to Mikey: You should only try and be a "warrior" in the playoffs. Thank you.

Chris Kelly - A Biggest trade value on the team, IMO. Too cheap to move unless he's lube for some of the other garbage we want gone.

Chris Neil - C Needs to contribute more offensively. Am I being harsh? Yes. Because he is good enough to do more.

Jarkko Ruutu - B I like him. Useful but expendable.

Jesse Winchester - A+ Best. Player. Ever.

Ryan Shannon - B- Nothing negative to say about the effort. Just isn't cut out for the NHL in a strictly offensive role, nor is he big enough for a checking role. Could be a useful PKer with that speed, however.

Chris Phillips C- Painful year. Pairing have hurt him somewhat but he has to own some of the poor results.

Sergei Gonchar F - Screw it. I'm just gonna go ahead and give him an F. What an utter disaster.

Filip Kuba - F What happened?

Chris Campoli B+ Should be part of the future core. Needs to hit the net but his defensive game is nice, lovely skater. (But he needs to hit the net.)

Erik Karlsson - A- He makes mistakes - some of them very damaging, but he's the offensive pulse of the team without question. He got through a rough start to the season and now routinely makes wonderful plays in all three zones. Has the best outlet pass since the pre-suck Redden and a rocket of a shot. Is learning to take opposing players out by out-smarting them. Nothing much negative to write here - still could use some defensive work, but he's 20 years old, that'll come.

Matt Carkner - B- Gets beaten to the outside? I'll worry when he gets beaten to the inside. Thanks for earning your paycheque every shift.

Brian Elliott - B+ Has only really looked "bad" when the whole team is even worse than he is. Probably has to make at least one save resulting from a giveaway in front of the net EVERY single game.

Pascal Leclaire - Abstain. How do you evaluate this guy??

Bryan Murray - C - Middle of the road is "C" right? I wish he would make trades but I get why he can't.

Cory Clouston - C+ Doesn't deserve to be fired but he's too juggle-happy and he does it in the wrong way most of the time. Gonchar on the left side on the PP? Really?

9Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Clouston, Paddock & Hartsberg: when the Aces, Kings and Queens are out of your deck, doesn't matter how much you shuffle it, your hand will be crap.

They ALL did it.

10Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:Clouston, Paddock & Hartsberg: when the Aces, Kings and Queens are out of your deck, doesn't matter how much you shuffle it, your hand will be crap.

They ALL did it.

I'm sure they were ALL graded accordingly. Dancing

11Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

When does Milan Michalek EVER look UNSTOPPABLE out there? Or am I not watching the same games? He gets a C/C- at best.

12Grade the Sens Empty Re: Grade the Sens Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:When does Milan Michalek EVER look UNSTOPPABLE out there? Or am I not watching the same games? He gets a C/C- at best.

Don't even get me started....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum