GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider to OTT?

+12
CockRoche
spader
shabbs
sandysensfan
SensHulk
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
Oglethorpe
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
RaunchyTofu
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

46Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:
wprager wrote:I'd say something but I don't want to offend a new member. So, yes, let's just call it a fan being a fan.

Now, now, now.. be nice. Just say what you want to say. I don't mind, really.

I meant the OP. That trade proposal makes little sense to Vancouver and practically none to Ottawa.

47Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:15 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
OK then. I guess not producing in the high-flying Fartsburg era is all the proof I need.

Top line is top line though. And he got a legitimate shot at top line LW with Spezza and Alfie and couldn't produce. Maybe things have changed now, maybe they haven't, but I saw with my own eyes his production with solid top 6 minutes and it didn't work (here).

Vermette is a center and as far as I know he never got more than a shift or two (to win a faceoff) as a top-six center.

48Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I remember reading somewhere that Fisher had said he is not "comfortable" at wing.

Personally, I'd prefer a player uncomfortably playing a position and style of hockey more in line with his core strengths/shortcomings. Fisher is not very imaginative, plays a strictly north/south game, very effective when he chases a dump-in and hits the defenseman into the end-boards. Who can get to a dump-in faster -- a center carrying the puck through an obstacle course in neutral ice, or a winger flying down the side?

49Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:28 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Cory Schneider is one of, if not the closest goalie prospect to becoming an NHL star.

Playing behind Luongo can't and won't hold him back.

50Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:37 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Oglethorpe wrote:Sens fans also seem to ignore that Schneider is not exactly a proven full season number 1. Sure he has great potential but so have many goalies who put up great numbers in limited starts.

IMO, Schneider rarely displays inconsistencies or shows weaknesses in every aspect of his game. He has the ideal frame and attitude to become a work-horse goalie in the NHL.

51Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:Sens fans also seem to ignore that Schneider is not exactly a proven full season number 1. Sure he has great potential but so have many goalies who put up great numbers in limited starts.

IMO, Schneider rarely displays inconsistencies or shows weaknesses in every aspect of his game. He has the ideal frame and attitude to become a work-horse goalie in the NHL.
Would you liken him to Halak then?

52Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
Wow, where to begin.

What has Schneider done to merit that huge return ?
21 NHL games.

He's one of the 3 best goaltending prospects in the world. Higher than Lehner, higher than Markstrom. You don't let an elite talent go for Elliott, Wiercioch and a 2nd, but perhaps the Canucks might at least listen to you instead of hanging up.

What he said.

53Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I get what Ogie is saying, though. At one point Leclaire was the cat's meow, and that was after one whole season. He got a big fat contract and the rest is history.

54Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Would you liken him to Halak then?

Not sure what angle you want me to approach this from, so I will try to be detailed in my response. My quick answer is, "No" tho'.

Halak has been wildly inconsistent this season. There are reasons for this ranging from everything that comes with his move to the Western conference, to his pre-determined increased role as a starter.

Schneider is still untested at the NHL level and as much as I believe through watching him that he is "the next big thing", I really have no way of knowing.

I'm just going to stop there because I don't see much of a correlation between Halak and Schneider at this point in their careers.

They are both relative rookies IMO, Halak's career is essentually beginning anew in St. Louis.

55Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Haha. After reading that, I wasn't too detailed; very vague actually.

56Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

HA! No worries, I guess I keyed off the word workhorse. Will have to keep an eye on this Schneider kid.

57Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:33 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:HA! No worries, I guess I keyed off the word workhorse. Will have to keep an eye on this Schneider kid.

I'm pretty sure I heard he is playing tomorrow night. Not sure what your TV subscription is, but I have Center Ice; so I will be watching.

58Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:HA! No worries, I guess I keyed off the word workhorse. Will have to keep an eye on this Schneider kid.

I'm pretty sure I heard he is playing tomorrow night. Not sure what your TV subscription is, but I have Center Ice; so I will be watching.
Yeah, I posted that earlier in the thread, he gets the start vs the Oil tomorrow.

59Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Yeah, I posted that earlier in the thread, he gets the start vs the Oil tomorrow.

That is where I heard/read it. Haha.

No one knows until gametime tho'.

60Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Except for the times we kept putting him on the top line, on the wing, at center in the top 6 and he produced diddly and squat.

Yup. For two shifts. Just like I said. And 53 points in his final full season is hardly diddly nor is it squat. Laugh1
Vermette's production is eerily similar to that of Mike Fisher. Contracts are close as well, and we all know how you feel about Fisher.

Production is only part of the issue I have with Fisher. He should playing wing and making room for players like Regin to thrive at C. That's the real problem I have. I think he's pretty selfish that way.

Besides, I'm not making comparisons because these are two totally different players.

Is it his call? I'd assume that the CCs of the world call those shots. I don't imagine that Fisher can go up to CC and say, "Y'know, I've been thinking that I should make way for Regin. I'm gonna play on the wing tonight." I think calling him selfish in that context is ridiculous.

Tell you what. With all the shuffling I've seen. Gonchar on the left side for the PP, Regin on wing, Kovalev playing either wing, Shannon playing wherever they put him, the Alfie on the 2nd line, Kelly playing all 3 forward positions, Campoli at forward... Who hasn't budged? And it's not like everything is going so great it wasn't worth a try.

If that's a criticism of Clouston, I understand. If you're sticking to the notion that Fisher is selfish because he isn't playing wing, I fail to see how you can make that determination. I don't think Clouston asked Alfie if he'd like to move to the second line or asked Campoli (or Lee) if he'd like to play forward for a game or two any more than I imagine Fisher is somehow blocking a shift to the wing. Clouston is the coach. If he determines that Fisher would play better on the wing, he'd move him. Calling Fisher selfish for not playing wing is, IMO, absurd.

61Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:56 am

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

That is where I heard/read it. Haha.

No one knows until gametime tho'.

Shabbs, did you end up watching Schneider against Edmonton. I taped the game and haven't been able to watch it yet. I heard he played Tony the Tiger great tho'.

62Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Did not get to see it...

63Schneider to OTT? - Page 4 Empty Re: Schneider to OTT? Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 am

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Did not get to see it...

One of these days you are going to have to watch a game for yourself instead of just waiting for my opinions and making them your own you know? Haha.

I will assume you know I am just kidding.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum