GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Penguins @ Senators, Dec. 26, 7:30 pm, SNET

+11
stempniaksen
Hoags
CockRoche
asq2
PTFlea
shabbs
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
Flo The Action
wprager
SensHulk
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

I don't know what's more worrisome....spezza's shoulder injury and the games he will miss, or the fact that karlsson is our leading scorer and will have immense pressure to 'carry' the team?

I wonder who gets the call up from bingo....promote regin to top line and call up butler?

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
asq2 wrote:Gah, I'm still pissed. The headline could have been "Karlsson simultaneously shuts down Crosby and records hattrick" and instead it's "Crosby continues streak and continues to not shave."

Karlsson only scored 2 tonight. The first goal went off Fisher.

as for Spezza, if it's a long-term injury (who knows at this point, just speaking hypothetically), then I'm hoping he comes back from injury and tears it up like he did last season. The rest really did him some good...that's what I meant by Letang did us a favour.

That and if Spezza is out long-term, we should be a worse team, meaning a better draft pick, hopefully meaning RNH/Landeskog! Ahhhhh!

I know he only scored 2. But he almost had that empty netter.

Yeah, we need RNH or Landeskog badly. But I think we might have been bad enough with Spezza in the line-up anyway. Now Murray might move assets to bring in a guy to fill the void. Also, I want Karlsson to make the all-star team and that'll rely on his production, in which Spezza plays a large part what with being the only centre with vision and the only centre who can win a face-off.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:I don't know what's more worrisome....spezza's shoulder injury and the games he will miss, or the fact that karlsson is our leading scorer and will have immense pressure to 'carry' the team?

I wonder who gets the call up from bingo....promote regin to top line and call up butler?

Regin didn't see a lot of ice even after Spezza went down IIRC. I saw a lot of Jesse Winchester, though.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:What can I say about the way Elliott played tonight?

He'll start to suck again, right about when Leclaire can play again.

This is me scratching my head.

Leclaire plays well for a while
Leclaire get injured
Elliott steps in and plays well
Leclaire is healthy and plays backup for a few
Elliott begins to suck
Leclaire steps and plays well

Rinse and repeat

Stop giving Leclaire a chance to play more than one game in a row in that case. He is the backup and nothing more. True understudies don't play more than one every 8-10 games. This rotation will let Elliott keep his rhythm and not get burnt out at the same time.

Last edited by CockRoche on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did anyone see the Canada WJ game? Jesus H. Christ, Vladimir Tarasenko looks good. I am happy with Rundblad but we could REALLY have used Vlad. Too bad that the Murrays are shortsighted when it comes to Russian prospects.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:Did anyone see the Canada WJ game? Jesus H. Christ, Vladimir Tarasenko looks good. I am happy with Rundblad but we could REALLY have used Vlad. Too bad that the Murrays are shortsighted when it comes to Russian prospects.

And it begins...Can we wait until either play a game in the NHL before calling anyone short-sighted?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Did anyone see the Canada WJ game? Jesus H. Christ, Vladimir Tarasenko looks good. I am happy with Rundblad but we could REALLY have used Vlad. Too bad that the Murrays are shortsighted when it comes to Russian prospects.

And it begins...Can we wait until either play a game in the NHL before calling anyone short-sighted?

No we can't wait (and I'm not even comparing the two players). I believe you were one of the ones who wished we drafted Vlad too...did you watch the game today? Best player on the ice.

The point is Murray and co were short-sighted for saying they wouldn't draft a Russian at all in the entire draft. To just skim over a guy (not just Taransenko, any Russian) with skill JUST because he is Russian is extremely short-sighted. Grow some cojones and take on the risk, Murray. You sign old, past-their-prime Russians yet you won't draft a potentially elite Russian just because of the minimal risk that he would never come over to play in the NHL Who's to say that Rundblad or anybody else you pick is gonna pan out in the NHL? The Russian risk factor is so overblown - especially when the guy SAYS that he WANTS to play in the NHL no matter what.

Like I said I am thrilled that Rundblad...but this team needs better forwards, more goals, more offense, more EXCITEMENT. Tarasenko (and Paajarvi before that) provides all that.

It's just frustrating when the guy was RIGHT THERE. Everybody knew who should be picked there, and we traded it. Just frustrating, that's all.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

No we can't wait (and I'm not even comparing the two players). I believe you were one of the ones who wished we drafted Vlad too...did you watch the game today? Best player on the ice.

The point is Murray and co were short-sighted for saying they wouldn't draft a Russian at all in the entire draft. To just skim over a guy (not just Taransenko, any Russian) with skill JUST because he is Russian is extremely short-sighted. Grow some cojones and take on the risk, Murray. You sign old, past-their-prime Russians yet you won't draft a potentially elite Russian just because of the minimal risk that he would never come over to play in the NHL Who's to say that Rundblad or anybody else you pick is gonna pan out in the NHL? The Russian risk factor is so overblown - especially when the guy SAYS that he WANTS to play in the NHL no matter what.

Like I said I am thrilled that Rundblad...but this team needs better forwards, more goals, more offense, more EXCITEMENT. Tarasenko (and Paajarvi before that) provide all that.

Yeah, Tarasenko looked great today. He has star written all over him.

Exciting game, it's great watching Karlsson when you can tell that he has his confidence going and every shot he takes, he expects it to go in. Love the guy.

Unfortunately, all my enjoyment over the game was ruined when Spezza went down. That looks to be a long-term injury, which equals the end of our season - not enough talent to replace him.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

Like I said I am thrilled that Rundblad...but this team needs better forwards, more goals, more offense, more EXCITEMENT. Tarasenko (and Paajarvi before that) provides all that.

It's just frustrating when the guy was RIGHT THERE. Everybody knew who should be picked there, and we traded it. Just frustrating, that's all.

Chistov, Svitov, Knyazev, Filatov, Kaigorodov, Lyamin, Nikulin, Kabanov ect...all guys that were hyped before crossing the pond. I have more faith in Tarasenko than any of those guys, but the list does go on and on and on and on when it comes to guys who could never translate their skills to the NHL ice (or at least haven't so far).

And I definitely wasn't on "Team Tarasenko" as I am admitedlly scared by the "Russian factor", that being said I will be the first to eat my words if (looking more like when at this point) he comes across the pond and plays well.

asq2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
asq2 wrote:Gah, I'm still pissed. The headline could have been "Karlsson simultaneously shuts down Crosby and records hattrick" and instead it's "Crosby continues streak and continues to not shave."

Karlsson only scored 2 tonight. The first goal went off Fisher.

as for Spezza, if it's a long-term injury (who knows at this point, just speaking hypothetically), then I'm hoping he comes back from injury and tears it up like he did last season. The rest really did him some good...that's what I meant by Letang did us a favour.

That and if Spezza is out long-term, we should be a worse team, meaning a better draft pick, hopefully meaning RNH/Landeskog! Ahhhhh!

I know he only scored 2. But he almost had that empty netter.

Yeah, we need RNH or Landeskog badly. But I think we might have been bad enough with Spezza in the line-up anyway. Now Murray might move assets to bring in a guy to fill the void. Also, I want Karlsson to make the all-star team and that'll rely on his production, in which Spezza plays a large part what with being the only centre with vision and the only centre who can win a face-off.

Not true. Kelly is just above 50% in the dot. Laughing3

Fisher though....yikes.

I'll echo everyone's sentiments that we are done if Spezza is out for any amount of time. I have zero confidence that Murray will be able (or have the stones) to make a deal to land us an adequate replacement. I don't even think he's got the pieces available to do it without looking at our future D depth. I fully expect another 2nd with probably a body shipped out for some veteran centre.

Btw, can someone ban this zeyan12 clown please.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

With regards to tarasenko....anyone see the stat in the game about the total number of russians playing in the NHL. It showed such a dramatic reduction....this season I think it's only 34 or something. It's just too risky for us to get a first round draft pick from Russia. It's not that the murrays didn't recognize the talent level on tarasenko.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

Done.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's true, Tarasenko looks awesome - but what Rundblad is doing is equally as exciting - if not much more so. I'll admit that if Tarasenko was Tarasson, he'd be a Sen right now, but the fact remains that Murray and co. don't want to take anymore Russians that high. And after the fiascos with Kaigordov and Zubov - not to mention the three or four Russian D-men that could have helped us so much, but stayed in Russia, I'm inclined to agree.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:With regards to tarasenko....anyone see the stat in the game about the total number of russians playing in the NHL. It showed such a dramatic reduction....this season I think it's only 34 or something. It's just too risky for us to get a first round draft pick from Russia. It's not that the murrays didn't recognize the talent level on tarasenko.

That's a direct result of the KHL becoming a viable (as in $$$) alternative. Russian players can make more money and pay significantly less in taxes, to boot, in the KHL.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Done.

What did I miss? Or was that in another thread?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Done.

What did I miss? Or was that in another thread?

It was in every thread.

Dresses for sale, really good prices too.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The best part of winning last night is that we will not look like buffoons on the 3rd installment of the HBO series.....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:It's true, Tarasenko looks awesome - but what Rundblad is doing is equally as exciting - if not much more so. I'll admit that if Tarasenko was Tarasson, he'd be a Sen right now, but the fact remains that Murray and co. don't want to take anymore Russians that high. And after the fiascos with Kaigordov and Zubov - not to mention the three or four Russian D-men that could have helped us so much, but stayed in Russia, I'm inclined to agree.

GDT: Penguins @ Senators, Dec. 26, 7:30 pm, SNET - Page 4 164414

For years we (Muckler) were drafting Russians that, for the most part, did not amount to anything. The new "administration" is definitely on a Swedish kick now. Keep in mind, though, that E. Karlsson is the only one from that group that, so far, has worked out, with Lehner on the cusp. M. Karlsson went back to Sweden; Rundblad is still an unknown as far as I'm concerned -- he has *not* played an NHL-style game, much less an NHL game; Silfverberg is projected to be a two-way player, another Alfredsson -- well, sorry, the chances of *that* happening are almost as slim as the Sens retiring #19 for Yashin; Petersson has offensive flair (so did all those Russians we drafted).

Look, I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but some of the old threads that SS bumped recently should be a lesson. As fans we tend to over-emphasize positive updates (Winchester will play top-line with Spezza and Alfie -- we all got *soo* excited).

Point is, we had several top-end defensive prospects and were severely undermanned in the forward ranks, and Murray traded his 1st round pick for another defenseman. The only rationalization I have here is that Rundblad, having been a draft pick the year before, would be NHL-ready sooner than Tarasenko, and at that point we could move one of our D prospects for a forward prospect even better, or closer than Tarasenko. If that happens I'll be OK, but if Tarasenko breaks into the league and starts contributing in a meaningful way, and we are still looking for scoring up-front, I will not be a happy camper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum