GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are the Sens mishandling the goalie situation?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I really think Leclaire should have gotten the start last night. I know they were rewarding Elliott for his strong play but they're going to end up over working Elliott and under working Leclaire if you can't even put the guy in vs. the worst team in the league. It was the perfect opportunity to ease Leclaire back into games.

Now that they didn't do that when does Leclaire start next? Montreal on Saturday? Not bloody likely if they've decided Elliott's number one until proven otherwise. Atlanta? 4-2-2 on the road and if Leclaire ain't good enough for the Isles then good luck seeing him in this game. After that we get Vancouver, Boston then Philly.

Leclaire will get his next game when he has a few pounds of rust to shake off and people will be saying I told you we should have given up on Leclaire. We saw what the guy can do in the playoffs and at the start of the season. Not starting him vs. the Isles is just dumb. I know a lot of Leclaire's issues were self inflicted by not playing well or through plain dumb luck but, they were exacerbated by an extreme lack of play. If I remember correctly both goalies were struggling for big parts of the season and Elliott was given the most rope to work through it. Elliott crashed and burned in the playoffs and Leclaire stood tall. I'm just saying lets not make the mistake of writing Leclaire off and not even give him a chance despite what he's done in the playoffs and in the early part of the season. I know it's a small sample size but there's no indication that they should be worried about playing Leclaire especially vs. a team like the Isles right now.

Clouston should have went to Elliott and said this: You're the man right now and great job holding us in the game vs. the Leafs. You've played 8 straight games now. It's time for you to rest up, we're giving Leclaire the Isles, be ready for a HUGE game vs. a big time rival on Saturday in Montreal.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:43 am by TheAvatar

Maybe Clouston is just afraid of playing Leclaire on back-to-back games; given his fragility.

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:54 am by Cap'n Clutch

TheAvatar wrote:Maybe Clouston is just afraid of playing Leclaire on back-to-back games; given his fragility.

I would be surprised if that was his thinking. This was a case of you win your in if you're Leclaire regardless of your play or the play of the team in front of you and regardless of the ridiculous 43 save performance by the opposing goalie. The loss vs. the Pens was not a result of poor play by the Sens nor was it poor play by Leclaire. The game on Saturday should have been Leclaire's and it would have been a win IMO. Not putting him in says, to me at least, you're not our guy Leclaire but thanks for trying.

SensHulk

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 am by SensHulk

hmm I've stayed away from this topic for a bit but I definitely feel that Leclaire gets the short end of the stick most of the time or for some reason doesn't receive the benefit of goal support from his teammates whenever he plays. I really don't know why that is.

That being said, I don't think Clouston outrightly favors Elliott (hear me out). Yes he has a little more confidence in Ells (as do I, just look at his record), and you can't just chalk it up to bad luck that Leclaire still does not have a single shutout as a senator over his 1+ season. Very few games have been under 2 goals for him. But Clouston showed lots of confidence by playing Leclaire 3 games in a row last week, and for all intents and purposes, it shows that Leclaire is back to form from the playoffs.

you HAVE to go with Elliott though against the Oilers (just coming off a shutout) but I think we'll get to see more starts for Leclaire as well (i.e. split duty). I wouldn't be surprised, win or lose against the Oil, that Leclaire starts against Dany and the Douches. That buffalo game though, is all reserved for Elliott

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 am by Cap'n Clutch

You definitely have to go with Elliott vs. the Oil. I just think they should have gone with Leclaire on Saturday.

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am by Guest

Maybe they're saving Leclaire for Thursday. Giving him the week to prep for arguably the most important regular season game of the year.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:26 am by Cap'n Clutch

Kovalfie wrote:Maybe they're saving Leclaire for Thursday. Giving him the week to prep for arguably the most important regular season game of the year.

Do you honestly believe that?

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:Maybe they're saving Leclaire for Thursday. Giving him the week to prep for arguably the most important regular season game of the year.

Do you honestly believe that?

No

Number Twenty Nine

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 pm by Number Twenty Nine

I didn't think there was something there before, but now I'm convinced there is. Clouston is setting up Leclaire to fail pure and simple.

TheAvatar

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:04 pm by TheAvatar

Same as he setup Lee for failure actually ...

spader

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm by spader

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I didn't think there was something there before, but now I'm convinced there is. Clouston is setting up Leclaire to fail pure and simple.

TheAvatar wrote:Same as he setup Lee for failure actually ...

He's not setting anyone up to fail, that's ridiculous. Regardless of what we think, CC is trying to win every game. There's no internal conspiracy whereby the coaching staff are trying to crush certain players. Come on.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 pm by Cap'n Clutch

spader wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I didn't think there was something there before, but now I'm convinced there is. Clouston is setting up Leclaire to fail pure and simple.

TheAvatar wrote:Same as he setup Lee for failure actually ...

He's not setting anyone up to fail, that's ridiculous. Regardless of what we think, CC is trying to win every game. There's no internal conspiracy whereby the coaching staff are trying to crush certain players. Come on.

It would at least appear as though he doesn't/didn't know how to handle either player whether on purpose or not.

spader

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm by spader

I can accept that a whole lot easier than accepting that he's setting anyone on his team up for failure.

EDIT: Sorry, the "whether on purpose or not" part of your post didn't register until I'd hit "send". There's no intentional mishandling going on. Clouston is well aware of the spot he's in. I don't care if Lee and Leclaire spit on CC's mother, he's not going to set them up to fail. Y'know why? If he was to set them up to fail, he'd also be setting himself up to fail. Not gonna happen.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:24 pm by Cap'n Clutch

spader wrote:I can accept that a whole lot easier than accepting that he's setting anyone on his team up for failure.

EDIT: Sorry, the "whether on purpose or not" part of your post didn't register until I'd hit "send". There's no intentional mishandling going on. Clouston is well aware of the spot he's in. I don't care if Lee and Leclaire spit on CC's mother, he's not going to set them up to fail. Y'know why? If he was to set them up to fail, he'd also be setting himself up to fail. Not gonna happen.

If it's not on purpose then he's not capable of handling the situation properly IMO. Which would you prefer to hang your hat on?

SensHulk

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 pm by SensHulk

whaaaaaaaat? Lee set up for failure? give me a break. and that goes same for leclaire, the guy has been given many opportunities to be the guy but whether its his fault or not, it just hasn't worked out. Unfortunately sens win more when leclaire does not play, and that's not exactly a knock on leclaire's skills because he's showcased enough of times that the skill set is there. Its consistency that's been an issue and there should be no arguments that Elliott is more consistent than leclaire. Its not just sheer luck that elliott can also shutout opponents while Leclaire can't.

with Lee, the guy couldn't even stick around when we had the WORST defense group back in 08-09. Brendan Bell beat him....and now david hale beat him. I feel bad for the guy but Lee has been given so many opportunities, even this season. No one is set up for failure

spader

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:03 pm by spader

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
spader wrote:I can accept that a whole lot easier than accepting that he's setting anyone on his team up for failure.

If it's not on purpose then he's not capable of handling the situation properly IMO. Which would you prefer to hang your hat on?

If my choices are conspiracy or ineptitude, I'll choose ineptitude.

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:46 pm by NEELY

Straight Shooter wrote:
CockRoche wrote:I'm not allowed to view my opinion on the Sens goalies anymore. I have been censored by the admins. Haha.

Are you joking??????? If there is any poster I want to hear from about goalies it is you and only you. End of story, please don't stop. Ridiculous if that is true that you were censsored. Why??????

This post was super cute and gave it away from the very begining.

Riprock

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:52 pm by Riprock

Really? Cause myself and others felt the same way.... are we also the same person?

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:53 pm by NEELY

Dash wrote:Really? Cause myself and others felt the same way.... are we also the same person?

Hahaha, ok buddy. You keep talking to Notch, hahaha. REALLY sad btw.

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum