GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are the Sens mishandling the goalie situation?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I really think Leclaire should have gotten the start last night. I know they were rewarding Elliott for his strong play but they're going to end up over working Elliott and under working Leclaire if you can't even put the guy in vs. the worst team in the league. It was the perfect opportunity to ease Leclaire back into games.

Now that they didn't do that when does Leclaire start next? Montreal on Saturday? Not bloody likely if they've decided Elliott's number one until proven otherwise. Atlanta? 4-2-2 on the road and if Leclaire ain't good enough for the Isles then good luck seeing him in this game. After that we get Vancouver, Boston then Philly.

Leclaire will get his next game when he has a few pounds of rust to shake off and people will be saying I told you we should have given up on Leclaire. We saw what the guy can do in the playoffs and at the start of the season. Not starting him vs. the Isles is just dumb. I know a lot of Leclaire's issues were self inflicted by not playing well or through plain dumb luck but, they were exacerbated by an extreme lack of play. If I remember correctly both goalies were struggling for big parts of the season and Elliott was given the most rope to work through it. Elliott crashed and burned in the playoffs and Leclaire stood tall. I'm just saying lets not make the mistake of writing Leclaire off and not even give him a chance despite what he's done in the playoffs and in the early part of the season. I know it's a small sample size but there's no indication that they should be worried about playing Leclaire especially vs. a team like the Isles right now.

Clouston should have went to Elliott and said this: You're the man right now and great job holding us in the game vs. the Leafs. You've played 8 straight games now. It's time for you to rest up, we're giving Leclaire the Isles, be ready for a HUGE game vs. a big time rival on Saturday in Montreal.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 pm by rooneypoo

LOL, that last sequence of posts is positively adorable.

PS: rooneypoo, you are a handsome, witty fellow. Keep on posting!

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:42 pm by TheAvatar

LOL Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm by Cap'n Clutch

CockRoche wrote:That was more a lame joke than anything.

Sort of. I have always been civil, yet still I think it was Cap'nClutch that didn't want to hear my view for some reason.

Still baffles me a little bit to be honest. Meh.

I haven't been on since Friday at around 2:30pm so it certainly wasn't me that did anything to your posts.

CockRoche is just making stuff up, it seems.

wprager

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:45 pm by wprager

Big Ev wrote:CockRoche is just making stuff up, it seems.

I'm guessing another admin (looks like SD) must have deleted a post of his that was deemed unacceptable. I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

PTFlea

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:40 pm by PTFlea

wprager wrote:

I'm guessing another admin (looks like SD) must have deleted a post of his that was deemed unacceptable. I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

I don't recall doing anything.

Hoags

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:52 pm by Hoags

Imagine if the Sens weren't anti-Russian and signed Bobrovsky ... then we'd really have an interesting conversation on goalies in Ottawa Laugh1

wprager

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 pm by wprager

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

I don't recall doing anything.

Sorry, I took your comment, following Roche's, to mean that something wasn't civil.

We have a mystery on our hands.

CockRoche

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:19 pm by CockRoche

Am I missing something? What did I make up?

I assure you I am innocent on all charges. Please explain what you think I did wrong?

All my posts are still there. Nothing has been deleted from my account. Not sure what the confusion is and why my name was brought up?

You said yourself that you "have been censored by the admins". The admins say they haven't censored anything. What's up with that?

wprager

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 am by wprager

The fog is slowly starting to lift. CR must be talking about an incident on another thread that happened during a goalie discussion. And he just came on here to say "Sorry, I can't discuss goalies anymore, ha-ha".

CockRoche

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 am by CockRoche

wprager wrote:The fog is slowly starting to lift. CR must be talking about an incident on another thread that happened during a goalie discussion. And he just came on here to say "Sorry, I can't discuss goalies anymore, ha-ha".

Ahhhhh, I see now. Yes, my original comment in this thread was just another way of me saying "no comment".

I didn't mean to start mass hysteria, but I can see why it may have looked like I said something wrong that could have been deleted.

wprager

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am by wprager

Now that that's all out of the way, care to add your take on the Sens' handling of the goalie situation?

IMO the biggest mishandling was trading for Leclaire with that contract. And I said so right from the start. He had *one* season that could be considered good, getting 9 shutouts as a rookie on an average (at best) team. He did not come close to a repeat performance after that, and was sidelined for most of a year following what amounted to a surgical reconstruction of hit ankle. It was a mistake by Columbus to give him that contract, and a bigger mistake by Murray to take it on.

I know others have said it before, but Murray has a great track record with drafting, but pretty close to terrible with trades. Although, I suppose that means a trade involving picks coming our way is, then, not a bad trade (Lehner).

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 am by Cap'n Clutch

I personally don't think the ship has sailed on Leclaire but I've been very happy with the play of Elliott lately. The guy is in the zone. Some of those stops vs. the Habs were off the charts good. What a way to follow up stopping two breakaways in the previous game.

wprager

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 am by wprager

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally don't think the ship has sailed on Leclaire but I've been very happy with the play of Elliott lately. The guy is in the zone. Some of those stops vs. the Habs were off the charts good. What a way to follow up stopping two breakaways in the previous game.

Maybe it hasn't sailed yet, but I don't think it will be in Port Ottawa when it does. I can't see how he could be re-signed here, and a trade seems equally unlikely. I am 100% Ok with moving him at the trade deadline and letting Lehner backup Elliott for the last couple of months of the season, maybe even get a start or two or three. I doubt we are going to make much of a move in the post-season (first round win would be nice, advancing to the ECF would be a big over-achievement) so I don't have any qualms about having a rookie as a backup and what if Elliott goes down.

Of course that's assuming Lehner gets to be #1 in Bingo, and that someone steps up as a trade partner for Leclaire.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 am by Cap'n Clutch

All I'm trying to say is the Sens should be trying to get Leclaire back in the net and there's little to nothing he's shown this season to suggest he won't be good in net for us. Elliott has been great lately and I'm quite happy with his play. It can only be a good thing to have both of them playing and playing well right? I don't see bringing Lehner up after the Trade deadline (Assuming Leclaire is gone) to back up Elliott as a good thing nor do I see it as at all likely.

Leclaire is injury prone I get that but, leaving him on the bench potentially until the 17th vs. the Canes or even later doesn't help the Sens. You need two goalies that can play and leaving Leclaire on the bench could lead to a situation like last season where Leclaire gets a shot out of pure desperation.

CockRoche

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm by CockRoche

wprager wrote:Now that that's all out of the way, care to add your take on the Sens' handling of the goalie situation?IMO the biggest mishandling was trading for Leclaire with that contract. And I said so right from the start. He had *one* season that could be considered good, getting 9 shutouts as a rookie on an average (at best) team. He did not come close to a repeat performance after that, and was sidelined for most of a year following what amounted to a surgical reconstruction of hit ankle. It was a mistake by Columbus to give him that contract, and a bigger mistake by Murray to take it on.

I know others have said it before, but Murray has a great track record with drafting, but pretty close to terrible with trades. Although, I suppose that means a trade involving picks coming our way is, then, not a bad trade (Lehner).

I won't comment on the past and the trade because I don't think that was the intent of Cap'n Clutch's original blog; I think he wants to know our thoughts more on what is currently happening with the starting rotation. Plus, I think we all know Leclaire was damaged goods at the time we traded for him, with no idea what that draft pick could turn into. The past is the past.

I have no problems with the way Elliott is being handled right now. He is absolutely known for being a very streaky goalie both good and bad. Elliott is going to get us a bunch of wins and we have to take advantage of that while we can. That is what you are seeing right now. When Elliott has one bad game, but most likely two, Leclaire will get a game in.

In saying that, Leclaire is the kind of goalie, with his injury history and style of play that needs to get into a groove to play well. With what Wamsley has been working on style-wise with Leclaire, this is even more pressing for Pascal. When he does finally get into a game, there will be no middle ground; he will be on his game or off. I don't think, and I say this honestly, I don't think the Sens really care how Leclaire will play when he gets in. There is no way to prepare for a game with him in the net. He is there at this point to give Elliott a rest, that is it. Leclaire is so unpredictable on the ice and it shows with the way the players play with him in the goal crease. Leclaire is done with the Senators after this season and I will even go as far as saying he is done in the NHL. You can't count on him for anything anymore and he isn't even worth paying minimum salary. You will need a third goalie to call up for the same salary throughout the year to cover for him when he goes down.

I am happy Lehner did not get to see NHL action this round of being called up. Practicing with the team was enough. Is it ideal? No, but you can't change the fact that he is where he is. He is the first callup and we will see him up a couple more times. I predicted he would play 4-5 games in the NHL this year once I found out he wasn't going back to the Soo and I stand by that.

So Wprager, I didn't get into the trade like you did as I tried to answer the original blog question. I think you can tell how I feel about the Columbus trade anyway.

CockRoche

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm by CockRoche

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally don't think the ship has sailed on Leclaire but I've been very happy with the play of Elliott lately. The guy is in the zone. Some of those stops vs. the Habs were off the charts good. What a way to follow up stopping two breakaways in the previous game.

I can't believe I read this. The ship has sailed, hit and iceberg, sunk and destroyed a lot of lives in the process. You are forgetting that Lehner is being rushed because of Leclaire correct?

Shocking that you have this view, I'm at a loss for words. Almost.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum