GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens dismiss goalie controversy

+6
shabbs
Phoenix30
Jordo
smash88
jamvan
Riprock
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251941&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Well, the fans would likely disagree. Every year it's the same story with Gerber.

2Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:03 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251941&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Well, the fans would likely disagree. Every year it's the same story with Gerber.
God I really love Hartsburg. He knows how to really handle the players and the media.

It's one f'ing game for crying out loud.

3Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:05 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251941&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Yeah don't tell him that Auld might start, wouldn't want to shake Gerber's confidence now... I really am starting to think this will be our downfall this year... It really sucks we have the potential to do some damage, maybe not win the cup but at least contend, but with Gerber in nets we'll be lucky to get a win in the playoffs...

4Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I like (Hartsburg) too, nothing against him here, he's just protecting his team....

BUT... Gerber is not a great goalie... he's maybe an okay goalie... we SENS fans know this, we've been frustrated with him every year. I hope he plays lights out... but, I mean really...

5Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:24 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:I like (Hartsburg) too, nothing against him here, he's just protecting his team....

BUT... Gerber is not a great goalie... he's maybe an okay goalie... we SENS fans know this, we've been frustrated with him every year. I hope he plays lights out... but, I mean really...

it's pretty expensive to have a 3.7 million dollar back-up... LOL

6Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

smash88 wrote:
Yeah don't tell him that Auld might start, wouldn't want to shake Gerber's confidence now... I really am starting to think this will be our downfall this year... It really sucks we have the potential to do some damage, maybe not win the cup but at least contend, but with Gerber in nets we'll be lucky to get a win in the playoffs...

How quickly some forget how well Gerber played last year in the playoffs. Without a doubt, he was our best player. The same could be said at the start of the season last year.

This leads me to beleive that he definately still has it in him. Let him shake the stink out (believe me, every one of those goals on Saturday were stinkers- EVEN the Malkin goal, cmon...).

I think Gerber will truly silence alot of critics this year, but Saturday definately didn't do him any favours from the get go.

7Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Jordo wrote:
smash88 wrote:

How quickly some forget how well Gerber played last year in the playoffs. Without a doubt, he was our best player. The same could be said at the start of the season last year.

This leads me to beleive that he definately still has it in him. Let him shake the stink out (believe me, every one of those goals on Saturday were stinkers- EVEN the Malkin goal, cmon...).

I think Gerber will truly silence alot of critics this year, but Saturday definately didn't do him any favours from the get go.

I'll second that.

8Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with Gerber getting the start and it's the right thing to do. He's the #1 goalie, it's his to lose. He'll need to deliver if he wants to keep it. We can't have Hartsburg going and changing his mind after every single game. Look at how well that worked last year with the freakin' "win and your in" madness from Paddock. Stupid. Let him get going, get into a groove with the "new" team and let's see what he can do.

9Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:29 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

jamvan wrote:

God I really love Hartsburg. He knows how to really handle the players and the media.

It's one f'ing game for crying out loud.

While I get your point Jam...and I totally agree with Gerbs getting the start so as to not discourage the already fragile state of Gerberland...I also have to point out that it is NOT 1 F'N game...it is 2 years...and 1 game...

'nough said...

10Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

Have some of these people actually seen Auld play throughout his career. He isn't exactly Stanley Cup winning team starting goalie material. Suddenly he should be our starter after one bad game by Gerber?

Guys have bad games, it happens. Unfortunately for Gerber it was the first game of the season. Why don't we wait until at least game 20 before we decide Gerber isn't the man.

I'd seriously love to see him get a real chance to play, from the start of the season knowing he is the man. His biggest problem continues to be that ugly/soft goal. If only he could figure out how to work that out of his system...

Nevertheless... he should be given the chance, if for no other reason than it was he who saved Ottawa from being TOTALLY embarrassed in last years playoffs.

11Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Could we have somebody in warmup fire a soft one by him, just so it gets out of the way when it doesn't count? Or two even, just in case?

12Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

pgood wrote:Have some of these people actually seen Auld play throughout his career. He isn't exactly Stanley Cup winning team starting goalie material. Suddenly he should be our starter after one bad game by Gerber?

Guys have bad games, it happens. Unfortunately for Gerber it was the first game of the season. Why don't we wait until at least game 20 before we decide Gerber isn't the man.

I'd seriously love to see him get a real chance to play, from the start of the season knowing he is the man. His biggest problem continues to be that ugly/soft goal. If only he could figure out how to work that out of his system...

Nevertheless... he should be given the chance, if for no other reason than it was he who saved Ottawa from being TOTALLY embarrassed in last years playoffs.

Let's not be mistaken about two things:
1. This team is not exactly Stanley Cup material. They may gel into one over the course of the regular season, but we're not there yet. For me, this is a mini-rebuild year.
2. The Sens *were* embarrassed in last year's playoffs. And Gerber played just OK. That bald spot he's got wasn't from standing on his head. The one and only time the team actually got him a lead he let in another ugly softie. They didn't lose because of Gerber, but he wasn't even able to win one period by himself.

13Sens dismiss goalie controversy Empty Re: Sens dismiss goalie controversy Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
pgood wrote:Have some of these people actually seen Auld play throughout his career. He isn't exactly Stanley Cup winning team starting goalie material. Suddenly he should be our starter after one bad game by Gerber?

Let's not be mistaken about two things:
1. This team is not exactly Stanley Cup material. They may gel into one over the course of the regular season, but we're not there yet. For me, this is a mini-rebuild year.
2. The Sens *were* embarrassed in last year's playoffs. And Gerber played just OK. That bald spot he's got wasn't from standing on his head. The one and only time the team actually got him a lead he let in another ugly softie. They didn't lose because of Gerber, but he wasn't even able to win one period by himself.

You took the words right out of my mouth... LOL

Gerber had his chance, he's blown it a few times now... Where was he down the stretch last year? In the 4 playoff games, he made a few nice saves, but couldn't make the one that mattered most... The team played horrible and Gerber wasn't too far off from the team...

We are going nowhere with Gerber...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum