GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa?

+8
SensGirl11
Phoenix30
Jordo
shabbs
Cronie
PTFlea
smash88
Cap'n Clutch
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa?

Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_lcap243%Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 43% [ 10 ]
Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_lcap226%Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 26% [ 6 ]
Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_lcap230%Is there already a goalie controversy in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 30% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think there is what do you guys think?

- Unknown Author

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I think there is what do you guys think?

Yeah there definitely is... If the subject is brought up then that means there's something to it... Gerber just has to go... You can just tell he isn't going to get better... Watching Auld play told me one thing.. Auld is not a superstar by any means, but he is always in the right spot.. You actually have to beat him, which in a way is all you want from a goalie, someone who makes the saves he is suppose to make... Goalie aren't going to stop everything it's impossible, but they can definitely help themselves out by staying in position.. Which Gerber clearly can't do...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I am a sucker for a poll. Not for poll, but for a poll.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well said Smash.
While I respect Hartsburg for giving Gerbs a FAIR chance to show or prove his worth, I am hoping Gerbs can do it; otherwise, I think we'll see Auld take the bulk of starts till say November, Gerbs will be waived and/or assigned to Bingo if not plucked, and then we'll see Elliott take a stab...

OR

By some miracle, Murray makes a trade for a significant upgrade at goalie, how I don't know...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Man... you guys sound like the Ottawa media... tsk tsk tsk. I don't think there's a controversy... yet. Gerber's been anointed the #1 slot by Hartsburg and that's that. We'll see what comes of it all...

Wink

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Totally agreed with Shabbs. Give Gerber the month of October to prove his worth. If he can't hack it, he's outta here. It's pretty simple. And guys, Auld played one game. I think it's a little early to be praising his high horse. Was he legitimately challenged in Game 2? I think as a whole, the team played much better in the second game (nothing against their performance in the 1st, which was also strong).

Give Gerber a few weeks before you throw him under the bus. I remember what he did last year at this time, doesn't anybody else?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh yeah, I'm not throwing him under the bus. I was merely speculating what one scenario COULD be, assuming Gerber totally s**ts the bed. Sorry about the confusion.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Man... you guys sound like the Ottawa media... tsk tsk tsk. I don't there there's a controversy... yet. Gerber's been anointed the #1 slot by Hartsburg and that's that. We'll see what comes of it all...

Wink

Yeah I may sound like the media, but i've been on this bandwagon the day I heard he signed with us... I was a BIG Emery fan, so I was really mad when they signed Gerber... I still am.. All this talk about Gerber being number is just so that they don't shake his weakest in the league confidence... I'm just sick of goaltending always being our downfall... All I ask is for a goalie where I won't hold my breath everytime the other team shoots...

If you think Gerber is the right man for number 1, that is your opinion, but in the 3 years he's been here, i'm yet to say once, "wow what a game by Gerber, he definitely stole that one" so in my opinion he is not a number 1 goalie he's a back-up at best.. and once again in my opinion Auld represents our best chance in nets right now.. And I thought that way before the Sweden trip... Gerber has had his chance all last season, he did not step up at all... In the beginning of the season we were untouchable, Gerber had absolutely nothing to do with that, the team was playing so great in front of him... Down the stretch, when it would have been time for Gerber to bail us out a few times, he was nowhere to be found... In the playoffs, when we got swept 4 straight, he made the easy saves, but when the third period rolled around he always had to let in that backbreaker... I'm not saying the team was any better because they weren't but Gerber was FAR from being good!

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Jordo wrote:Totally agreed with Shabbs. Give Gerber the month of October to prove his worth. If he can't hack it, he's outta here. It's pretty simple. And guys, Auld played one game. I think it's a little early to be praising his high horse. Was he legitimately challenged in Game 2? I think as a whole, the team played much better in the second game (nothing against their performance in the 1st, which was also strong).

Give Gerber a few weeks before you throw him under the bus. I remember what he did last year at this time, doesn't anybody else?

I do along with how he quitely put together some wins the previous season when Emery took over along with how he played down the stretch and in the playoffs this past season. He has had his lumps so I am willing to give him to middle of November as long as he keeps us in the game and continues to work hard. If he heads south all together then thats different.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
I do along with how he quitely put together some wins the previous season when Emery took over along with how he played down the stretch and in the playoffs this past season. He has had his lumps so I am willing to give him to middle of November as long as he keeps us in the game and continues to work hard. If he heads south all together then thats different.

I agree with this. Besides, unless a great goalie's waived - which is unlikely - we might as well wait to acquire a good one...I mean a better one. Wink

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

I agree with this. Besides, unless a great goalie's waived - which is unlikely - we might as well wait to acquire a good one...I mean a better one. Wink

Yes, that is the problem, there really isn't a quick fix for this problem... So as much as I rag on Gerber, there is not much we can do... I don't really have any solutions, so really I think i'm just blowing hot air... Sorry all, i just really can't stand Gerber! LOL

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I voted "too early to tell", but in my heart, I believe that there is. I'll go with Hartsburg on this one right now and believe what he's saying for the time being. He says there absolutely is not a goalie controversy here...we'll see what he says in another 4 games or so.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Jordo wrote:Totally agreed with Shabbs. Give Gerber the month of October to prove his worth. If he can't hack it, he's outta here. It's pretty simple. And guys, Auld played one game. I think it's a little early to be praising his high horse. Was he legitimately challenged in Game 2? I think as a whole, the team played much better in the second game (nothing against their performance in the 1st, which was also strong).

I agree with some of what you said. Auld has played only one game, I still think he may be inconsistent, maybe not as much as Gerber, but still. He let in 5 goals against Montreal, and some of them weren't pretty.

I do however think that he was challenged in game 2, there were some pretty scary moments, and he totally kept his cool, and made some pretty crazy saves.

I think he's definitely a very capable backup, not sure how he would do as a starter though.

there's no controversy..... neither one is that good.

Gerber has the nerves of a two year old. Gerber's biggest problem is his confidence. He can't handle criticism or pressure. You know when you shake that off? Pee-wee. At worse, Junior. He has no consistency, and lets in goals at the worst times.

Auld should never be a starter on any potential playoff team.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Tukker wrote:there's no controversy..... neither one is that good.

Gerber has the nerves of a two year old. Gerber's biggest problem is his confidence. He can't handle criticism or pressure. You know when you shake that off? Pee-wee. At worse, Junior. He has no consistency, and lets in goals at the worst times.

Auld should never be a starter on any potential playoff team.

Agreed, but I still think on the average Auld represents the best chance the Sens have for right now... IMO he's not great, but he's solid and that is all you ask for....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum