GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cowen makes big impression on Sens

+10
wprager
Flo The Action
Tuk Tuk
stempniaksen
Ev
Hoags
The Silfer Server
SensGal
SensGirl11
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12324/jared_cowen_makes_big_impression_on_ottawa_senators/

Although only 19 years old, 6’5 blueliner Jared Cowen’s been making a huge impression on the Ottawa Senators’ brass -- and with a strong performance in the recent Toronto Maple Leafs’ NHL rookie tournament in London, ON, he’s put injury concerns behind him and is making a run for an NHL roster.

With an apparently long-term injury to Senators’ blueliner Filip Kuba, the door has been opened a crack for the Senators’ 2009 first-round draft pick to burst through and stake a sizable claim on Ottawa’s blueline.

“My speed wasn’t what I experienced in the past, so I think when I got back to training camp I’ll have to get back to playing at that tempo,” Cowen explained. “Playing with better players can be easier because they can help you along the way, but the speed is something you have to get used to.”

Cowen is still working his way back from a serious knee injury that prematurely ended his second full junior campaign in 2007-08. Damaging both the ACL and MCL, the Senators’ ninth-overall selection underwent surgery and the blueliner admitted that it’s now finally starting to feel the way he wants.

“I feel a little more confident. Thinking back even to the end of last season, I really wasn’t feeling all that well,” he said. “Where it is now, I feel like I’m back to where I was before and it’s given me a lot more confidence. Obviously I’m feeling a lot better and I think it’s just getting back to timing and balance during games.

The big blueliner participated in Canada’s National Junior Team development camp in early August and is expected to be a big part of the squad -- if he’s not beholden to an NHL roster at the time. As a member of Team Canada’s silver-medal-winning squad last year, and benefitting from the training camp experience with that club, Cowen is able to draw a parallel to the quality of play during these rookie tournaments.

“This is pretty close to junior camp,” Cowen explained. “World Juniors is more about systems so it’s very hard to compare. We came out here and in two days’ time you’re out on the ice. It was fast hockey, good play out there, but it was a little hard because we didn’t get to know each other too well.”

Steve Stirling, the Birmingham Senators’ new assistant coach and member of the coaching contingent for Ottawa’s rookie camp, said he was pleased with finally seeing the big blueliner play in person -- and with what he saw.

“He’s a horse. He’s a first-round pick, and being that big, that strong -- I’m guessing that’s what he’s going to be,” Stirling said. “A kid like that, he played not bad, played a little better the next game, then in game three he played a ton. He played in critical situations late in the game.

“He’ll go into the big camp with a little more experience, be a little more confident, and not be as nervous.”

Stirling added that what Cowen brought to the rookie tournament is what he’ll need to show at the main camp -- and he must bring some lessons learned from this initial experience.

“He just needs experience and he’s going to get it in the big camp,” Stirling explained. “I mean, it’s purely speculation because I’m new to the organization and I’m still getting a feel for the kids myself, but I think you probably saw the real Jared Cowen at this tournament.

“That’s a big, strong kid that didn’t get rattled under pressure. I bet he played about 25 minutes a game and handled it real well -- he was strong down low. That’s a big, strong kid that’s just got to get some playing experience and he’ll probably get a game or two with the big club in pre-season and that willl be the next big test for him.

Cowen, who rebounded nicely last year with eight goals and 22 assists in 59 games with the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL and appeared in one NHL game, said he’s looking forward to the experience of main camp and said that his rookie tournament experience has been invaluable.

“I think the first thing was that it was nice to get back on the ice and get into a game situation,” he said. “Since I came up to Ottawa it’s been a bunch of scrimmages and training, so it’s nice to get back into form -- it’s never quite how you remember it.

“It’s nice to get back, I feel good, and I hope to carry this over into main camp.”

2Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:12 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm really loving what I'm seeing in Cowen, especially last night's game, he was awesome! That one shift in particular was the best of his career to date. He made some awesome plays and was in perfect position. He's got a heck of a shot too when he wants. Very excited to see him develop fully, so far so good.

3Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:14 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I would love to see him get more physical though for sure, I saw one great hit yesterday that was it. I know he's trying to get the rest of his game together right now, which is totally fine with me. But I must say, I'm excited to see him erase some guys.

4Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

I have always heard so much hype about Cowen and I was always disappointed when I watched him (maybe my hopes were set too high). Until last night, I was SOOO impressed with how he played, and thats the player I've heard he was. I do think he needs some more time out of the NHL, but maybe be pulled up for a game or two here and there.

5Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

A couple things in regards to the article:

- I didn't think Cowen made it to the National Junior Team development camp because of his mono.
- And it's the Binghamton Senators, not the Birmingham Senators. Albeit I think that was a typo/oversight more than anything.

6Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:47 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Bass Destruction wrote:A couple things in regards to the article:

- I didn't think Cowen made it to the National Junior Team development camp because of his mono.
- And it's the Binghamton Senators, not the Birmingham Senators. Albeit I think that was a typo/oversight more than anything.

I didn't even notice that... Cowen makes big impression on Sens 270956

7Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:47 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:I would love to see him get more physical though for sure, I saw one great hit yesterday that was it. I know he's trying to get the rest of his game together right now, which is totally fine with me. But I must say, I'm excited to see him erase some guys.

Yeah! I definitely want to see more from what he did at the Rookie tournament. He would just swat people aside.

In the Pens game, after the whistle some of the Pens were taking liberties with Schira and messing around in Lehner's crease, then big Cowen comes in and just moves Tangradi, who is a big kid himself. And I just remember them doing a close-up of Cowen's face and he was just loving it. Moving people like they were nothing. And you know this kid is only going to get stronger.

8Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:49 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Bass Destruction wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:I would love to see him get more physical though for sure, I saw one great hit yesterday that was it. I know he's trying to get the rest of his game together right now, which is totally fine with me. But I must say, I'm excited to see him erase some guys.

Yeah! I definitely want to see more from what he did at the Rookie tournament. He would just swat people aside.

In the Pens game, after the whistle some of the Pens were taking liberties with Schira and messing around in Lehner's crease, then big Cowen comes in and just moves Tangradi, who is a big kid himself. And I just remember them doing a close-up of Cowen's face and he was just loving it. Moving people like they were nothing. And you know this kid is only going to get stronger.

That's right! I remember that very well. He's got a mean streak in him for sure, he's just putting it all together. I can't wait until he's fully developed, we're going to have oodles of fun with him.

9Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I've always felt the Sens would pull a Tyler Myers on Cowen and send him back again. With the amount of D-men we have on 1-ways I don't see any room for him.

With Kuba out he may get some games but I suspect they'll send him back.

Today I was thinking no one will make the team this year (that wasn't there the year before).

10Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wow the article is fine but I go to the HF homepage and I see that fugly old Sens logo. Everybody always uses our old logos for some reason! We changed them 3 years ago!!!!

11Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe because the old logo is better?

12Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

stempniaksen wrote:Maybe because the old logo is better?
Agreed

13Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm talking about this one:

Cowen makes big impression on Sens 153

Even if this one was better (which I don't think it is), all I'm saying is we should be using our current logos everywhere, and the media should too. Even Sensplex hasn't updated the logo outside the complex. For shame!

14Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:07 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Eww, that one isn't better, haha.

But I agree, it's all about branding the product and such.

15Cowen makes big impression on Sens Empty Re: Cowen makes big impression on Sens Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:10 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you know who's making an impression on me at the moment? paajarvi...
i cinserely hope cowen turns out to be the man we need/want.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum