GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup

+13
stempniaksen
wprager
PKC
shabbs
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
asq2
Ev
SensHulk
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

76Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yep, the Cup lasts forever.

77Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:25 am

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

CockRoche wrote:
Michallica wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Michallica wrote:I don't think KHL will do them any favours either by attempting to lure Cristobal Huet. Say he gets buried in the minors, and they give $3.8M to Niemi. Still not the best scenario. Bowman and Tallon really screwed up.

I'd be down with Campoli + Lee + Shannon + Foligno going (any combination of that, or all of them) for Sharp and a pick. That would easily pave the way for Cowen, and either Wick/Butler as an extra. I want Kelly to stay though Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 54934

EDIT: in fact, forget the pick. just give us Sharp!

They won a Cup in the only year they had a realistic chance at it. How is that screwing up? I say kudos to them. 29 other GM's wish they won the Cup last year.

Just my opinion, but that is the way I look at it.

Yes kudos to them for winning it, but its still not good management when you have only $113,000 in cap space remaining to still add 5 more bodies to the roster. They deserve alot of credit for building the team (mainly Tallon) but they also screwed up with the signings of Huet, Campbell, and Hossa. You can't tell me that they wanted to trade Byfuglien, Sopel, Versteeg, etc. Its still bad management in a salary cap world.

I hear you for sure. Winning the Cup is the root of it all though and they did that. These little problems they are having now will be a distant memory soon enough, their Cup is forever.

I agree with that. Either way, whatever got them the cup, its tough to argue against that methodology. HOpe we can reap some of those benefits, but, in regards to this thread, I don't think we'll get Sharp (or any other player)

78Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:40 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I'd say signing Huet and Campbell to those amounts was a mistake. Same with the late RFA offer sheets.

I believe I recently heard Tallon mention that signing Campbell to that amount was to show everyone that Chicago was 'serious', he knew it was an outrageous amount.

While winning the cup was good, they didn't have to be in such a bad cap situation as they are now, purely self inflicted damage. I think just about ever team that has signed a big long term contract (to a non franchise player) since the lockout is in trouble.

I think Wilson made the offer sheet specifically to mess them up even more .

Looking at the moves Bowman has made so far, it's possible we might be able to pull something off (I don't think for a second they'll trade Sharp it'll be Huet and Campbell).

If we lost out on Gonchar I could see Murray making a pitch for Campbell but since we got #55 I don't think there's a deal to be made.

79Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I used to rip on Campbell when there was discussion about the Sens acquiring, but while he is making too much money, he was a pretty important part of their team. Who knows what they would have looked like without that bad contract? Huet had less of an effect but with the Cup you again have to give them some leeway. Maybe he had a positive effect on Niemi.

One thing going for the 'Hawks is that most of their key additions were via free agency, so their prospect pool has been depleted. They've some pretty good defence prospects in Olsen, Vishnevskiy, Lalonde and Leddy, and a deep forward prospect pool with guys like Beach, Kruger, Paradis, Hayes, Rensfeldt, Stalberg, Morin, Didomenico, Bickell, etc.

After Beach there isn't a lot of elite forward talent, but they only really need complementary scorers.

80Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:I used to rip on Campbell when there was discussion about the Sens acquiring, but while he is making too much money, he was a pretty important part of their team. Who knows what they would have looked like without that bad contract? Huet had less of an effect but with the Cup you again have to give them some leeway. Maybe he had a positive effect on Niemi.

One thing going for the 'Hawks is that most of their key additions were via free agency, so their prospect pool has been depleted. They've some pretty good defence prospects in Olsen, Vishnevskiy, Lalonde and Leddy, and a deep forward prospect pool with guys like Beach, Kruger, Paradis, Hayes, Rensfeldt, Stalberg, Morin, Didomenico, Bickell, etc.

After Beach there isn't a lot of elite forward talent, but they only really need complementary scorers.

I think you meant the opposite of that.

I think they are losing too much. Chemistry is a huge component of a Cup-winning team. Not only do I not see them repeating, but I see them taking a significant drop in the standings as well. Niemi may not be Emery, but how many times have we seen a player get rewarded for one good year and then become practically useless when normalized to his cap hit?

81Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Hawks have lost their depth. Repeating doesn't look great right now. They have the core, let's see how they do without the amazing support of Versteeg, Buff, Sopel (he was great for them in the playoffs), Eager (nice player), one of Sharp or Bolland I assume - and maybe even Campbell. Can you imagine if they actually trade Campbell? They'll be dancing in the streets until they realize what a massive piece he is for them on the backend.

82Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

From Ceekay on HF:

--Cowen, Smith, Gryba and Butler all impressed at the dev. camp.
--Very pleased with Cowen, has a shot to make team. Confidence/mental game only thing that will hold him back. Best player at dev. camp by a lot.
--Wiercioch needs to put on a lot of muscle/weight. 6'4", 180. Skill level is upper end.
--Gryba looks like a guy who can have a serious shot of making the team next year/year after
--Liked Butler's offensive awareness/shot/passing
--Love Wicks speed/skill. Will have a shot to make team, but will likely need time to adjust to the NA game. Olympics helped his confidence a tonne.
--Lehner needs to learn how to eat better and keep weight off. Came in @ 225 ("Ideal weight") for development camp, but "don't even want to say what he was at" when he came to Bingo last year. Needs to keep weight off t remain quick enough.
--Peltz looking good and impressed. They wanted to draft him in 2008 but he had some sort of infection that dropped his weight to 130 lbs and he hadnt played much. Has good skill.

83Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
--Love Wicks speed/skill. Will have a shot to make team, but will likely need time to adjust to the NA game. Olympics helped his confidence a tonne.

Didn't realize Wick was at the DC.

84Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Didn't realize Wick was at the DC.

He definitely wasn't, he must have been talking in general.

85Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laughing3 Dorion also said that Bashkirov and Zubov will be excellent players...

...in the KHL.

86Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:01 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I think you meant the opposite of that.

I think they are losing too much. Chemistry is a huge component of a Cup-winning team. Not only do I not see them repeating, but I see them taking a significant drop in the standings as well. Niemi may not be Emery, but how many times have we seen a player get rewarded for one good year and then become practically useless when normalized to his cap hit?

Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 270956 I had a longer sentence there originally, hacked a clause out of it and didn't think about the ramifications.

Obviously they're taking a hit, but I think they're doing the best they can. I'm certain they tried other ways of dropping salary before moving out some of the guys they have. At least there's clearly a new "depth core" coming up in the guys I listed. Toews is 22, Kane is 21, and Keith's supposed to be around for the next 15 years. They'll be OK even if they drop out of contention for the next couple of seasons.

EDIT: Why am I writing this in the Sens 2010-2011 thread? Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 260269

87Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:51 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
--Wiercioch needs to put on a lot of muscle/weight. 6'4", 180. Skill level is upper end.

--Lehner needs to learn how to eat better and keep weight off. Came in @ 225 ("Ideal weight") for development camp, but "don't even want to say what he was at" when he came to Bingo last year. Needs to keep weight off t remain quick enough.

Mr Wiercioch, meet Mr Lehner. Mr Lehner, meet Mr Wiercioch. Laugh1

88Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What does Lehner fill up on meatballs during the season or something? I guess there's not much to do in Sault Ste Marie besides going to restaurants.

89Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ddt wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Mr Wiercioch, meet Mr Lehner. Mr Lehner, meet Mr Wiercioch. Laugh1

Laugh1 I was thinking the same thing.

90Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

would people be alright with trading campoli and kelly to chicago for Sharp?
The salary is about a wash but chicago gets two bodies back(which they need) that are NHL players and we get a top 6 guy.
2010-11 NHL Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 OTTAWA SENATORS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / * Peter Regin ($1.250m)
Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / * Patrick Sharp ($3.900m)
* Nick Foligno ($1.250m) / Jesse Winchester ($0.750m) / Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m)
Chris Neil ($2.000m) / Zack Smith ($0.583m) / Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m)
Bobby Butler ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Chris Phillips ($3.500m) / Filip Kuba ($3.700m)
Sergei Gonchar ($5.500m) / Jared Cowen ($1.295m)
Erik Karlsson ($1.300m) / Matt Carkner ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) / Brian Elliott ($0.850m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.916m; CAP ROOM: $0.334m; BONUSES: $0.850m

I traded lee and shannon for picks...

Last edited by 111519 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

91Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:What does Lehner fill up on meatballs during the season or something? I guess there's not much to do in Sault Ste Marie besides going to restaurants.

I think he's trying to duplicate Brodeur's success in the product spokesmanship arena.

92Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:52 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:would people be alright with trading campoli and kelly to chicago for Sharp?
The salary is about a wash but chicago gets two bodies back(which they need) that are NHL players and we get a top 6 guy.

I wouldn't mind it too much if it were possible. But many other teams can match up a deal similar to that with the same money at stake.

93Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup - Page 6 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators 10/11 projected lineup Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:would people be alright with trading campoli and kelly to chicago for Sharp?

Think of Sharp having similar value to say...Milan Michalek. Yes, he's older, doesn't have quite the explosive speed Milan has, but as a player and a leader, he's worth as much or more than Michalek is.

Now reverse things, would you take Troy Brouwer and Brent Sopel for Milan Michalek?

If you answered 'no', you have Chicago's answer to that proposal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum