GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch.

+24
TeamRenzo
TheAvatar
SDH89
shabbs
rooneypoo
jawal
stempniaksen
CockRoche
beerandsens
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Devo
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
wprager
Hoags
SensHulk
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
M_Christopher
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 32]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like it may be Gryba that makes the team unless Cowen has a real mean streak?

Phillips - Gonchar
Karlsson - Kuba
Campoli - Carkner
Lee (Good as gone?)
Cowen, Gryba

I can't see them having Cowen on the team to sit in the press box so perhaps it's Gryba that gets spot duty when Campoli messes up enough to be pulled out of the lineup? With Gonchar and Karlsson there's enough offense and puck movement that you can afford to let Campoli sit once in a while. Of course this assumes Campoli is re-signed which is a safe bet IMO.

Why do you think it's a safe bet? He's got arbitration rights and I think today is the deadline for player to file. If that happens then we have our answer (as to who was difficult to sign). I can't find any recently signed RFAs to use as comparables, so who knows what arbitration will bring. If he gets more than the Sens are willing to pay and more than they are likely able to trade, they may walk away.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:Well Gryba is in the same position as Cowen in terms of letting a kid develop. He needs to play mins too, maybe not at the same pace as Cowen but still. Murray is as high on Gryba as anyone else and if they think he brings more of what they need then Cowen right now, then that's what they should do, obviously despite what I think.

I just get the impression that Gryba brings more of what we're missing with A-Train no longer here and it looking like Sutton won't be re-signed either. Maybe I'm under a false impression with Gryba but he seems like he'd develop nicely as a 5/6 guy getting more and more PK minutes as he gets comfortable and spending some nights in the press box. I had the sense that Cowen was more of a top 4 type of D man that needs to be thrown to the wolves or play top minutes in the minors in order to develop properly (Much like Karlsson).

But they are not looking at replacing A-Train. Murray came out and said it quite early on, if they cannot re-sign Volchenkov then they will be looking at making their D more mobile. If it comes down to Cowen versus Gryba I just don't see Gryba winning out, unless it is to showcase him for a trade.

With a top-4 of puck movers, a mean shutdown pair as your 5-6 is not an issue. It's probably better than any other alternative... you just can't have a shutdown pair as your top pairing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
I just get the impression that Gryba brings more of what we're missing with A-Train no longer here and it looking like Sutton won't be re-signed either. Maybe I'm under a false impression with Gryba but he seems like he'd develop nicely as a 5/6 guy getting more and more PK minutes as he gets comfortable and spending some nights in the press box. I had the sense that Cowen was more of a top 4 type of D man that needs to be thrown to the wolves or play top minutes in the minors in order to develop properly (Much like Karlsson).

You're bang on man, really. We need a *little* bit more of the "come down my side and I'll cream you" mentality after losing A-Train and Sutton. Gryba has that (I'd say he'll pan out to be a right-handed Andy Sutton).

I was thinking about this yesterday. I still think Cowen makes it (although I still would like to see his offensive side worked on), but Gryba is the first call up - even before Wiercioch I would think because he's so tough and plays the shutdown role so well (it looks like).

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Right now Phillips, Carkner and Kuba would be our most defensive minded defenceman. Karlsson and Gonchar are offensive machines. Erik can still grow to be a two way guy and be relied upon on the PK, but he's just not big enough, but makes up for that in smarts and speed.

Cowen might be the next best guy, and while Gryba is a physical player, he might be a little too reckless and undisciplined to be relied upon. If he gets too enthusiastic he might take a run at someone and either get a penalty or get caught out of position.

We will have to wait and see how these guys finish in prospect camp and then again during pre-season.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NHL_Sens

Team White wins #Sens 3-on-3 tournament.
Blood, Caporusso, Cowen, Culek and Peltz. Camp's hardest working player
to be announced shortly.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Apparently Cowen kicked Donkey today in the 3 on 3.

GO SENS!!

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:NHL_Sens

to be announced shortly.

are goalies not part of this?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think the goalies alternate for each game or something, so they are on different teams all the time, or something like that.

and really, who cares about any goalie that's not named Lehner? Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch. - Page 16 159628

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

So do you think he will be named the hardest working player for the camp?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hardest working should go to Brad Peltz! LOL I dunno, I never went so it could probably be Cowen, Lehner, or whoever else impressed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:NHL_Sens

to be announced shortly.

If that was Team White, I'd hate to see team Red.

I guess any young team like that that has Cowen wins.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Or maybe those are the nominees for the hardest working. Cowen it is.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Nelson looked pretty damned good yesterday, he didn't really let anything by him. Is he a Bingo goalie? He stopped much more than Lehner, but Lehner seemed to be getting the harder faster shots.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like it may be Gryba that makes the team unless Cowen has a real mean streak?

Phillips - Gonchar Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch. - Page 16 747605
Karlsson - Kuba
Campoli - Carkner
Lee (Good as gone?)
Cowen, Gryba

You know? Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch. - Page 16 95132

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Who would've thought we would have a name like that there after July 1? Anyone? Certainly not me, that's damned sexy! I can't get over it still, I'll be doing this all season.

Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch. - Page 16 159628

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not sure what this team will do with Rundblad, Wiercioch, Cowen and Gryba hoping to make the team soon.

We need to retain Phillips, he's been a rock all these years and actually wants to stay.

I think one of the rookies will make the team this year since we don't to start more than 1 at a time (and have their contracts up at the same time).

I wish I could've gone to the DC but it seems Cowen is kicking butt.

With Gonchar, Phillips, Carlsson and Kuba being in the top-4 we've only got a spot in the last pairing and that's assuming Campoli doesn't resign or gets traded.

I'd say Cowen this year, Rundblad next year and then Wiercioch, maybe replace Carker with Gryba after this year, but that's my guess.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Nelson looked pretty damned good yesterday, he didn't really let anything by him. Is he a Bingo goalie? He stopped much more than Lehner, but Lehner seemed to be getting the harder faster shots.

Haha, poor Lehner. He got bombarded and once he lost his focus, he got scored on about 20 times in a row.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 32]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum