GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd

+23
stempniaksen
sens4win
Ev
jamvan
Number Twenty Nine
AlfieisGod11
LeCaptain
ddt
Riprock
asq2
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
strachattack
dennycrane
wprager
Flo The Action
Hoags
Hayden
Urkie
PKC
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
PTFlea
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next

POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd

POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap29%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 3 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap29%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 3 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap220%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 7 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap211%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 4 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap214%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 5 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap211%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 4 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap26%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 2 ]
POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_lcap220%POLL: Which D-man will the Sens acquire on/by March 3rd - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 35

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 32]

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:Cowen is NOT making the team next year. Whoever has that in their head should start finding a way to get it out. He's not ready yet.

Better tell that to Murray who seems to think he IS in fact ready.

Where did you hear that?

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:It's funny because Ottawa fans don't seem to have any interest in that #1 D-Man if it comes at the expense of Volchenkov or even Kelly.

We're talking about legit #1s though. Not guys who aren't that get put into the role, much like Kuba. Ideally, Kuba is a #2 or better yet a great #3. You force him to play a role his skills can't keep up with and these are the results you get.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:It's funny because Ottawa fans don't seem to have any interest in that #1 D-Man if it comes at the expense of Volchenkov or even Kelly.

We're talking about legit #1s though. Not guys who aren't that get put into the role, much like Kuba. Ideally, Kuba is a #2 or better yet a great #3. You force him to play a role his skills can't keep up with and these are the results you get.

Then comes the debate on whether or not the incoming player is or isn't a legit #1. Like Ballard, for example. Is he or isn't he?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:Cowen is NOT making the team next year. Whoever has that in their head should start finding a way to get it out. He's not ready yet.

Where did you hear that?

He was quoted saying that after the pre-season. He said that he firmly expects him to compete for a spot at the next camp and he said that he was probably NHL ready in December.

"He's a big kid that we think has a big future in the (NHL)," Senators
general manager Bryan Murray told reporters in Buffalo, where the
Senators face the Sabres tonight. "We certainly liked his training camp
this year and with the progress he’s made over the season, Jared has a
real chance in camp next year to be an NHL player.

"We’re hoping this signing gives him that opportunity and the incentive
now to do what he has to for the balance of his junior career and have
a huge summer … It’s a real important signing for us."

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516119

Even sending big blueliner Jared Cowen back to the Western Hockey
League's Spokane Chiefs – a move the Senators made official today –
pained Murray, who believes the team's top pick (ninth overall) in the
2009 NHL Entry Draft isn't far from being NHL-ready (mp3.file).

"To me, that was real hard because I could see him, in November, being
able to play at a very good level in this league,"
Murray said of the
6-foot-5, 225-pound Cowen, who is just returning to game action after
missing eight months while recovering from major knee surgery.

"I really like young players that step up the way he did. It was such a
good performance overall (Monday night against the Tampa Bay Lightning)
for a guy that hadn't played hockey in a long time. But probably, in
the long run, it's better for him (to go back to junior hockey)."

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499404

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Will Kuba's NTC keep him on the team until it lifts though?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
You add a guy like Ballard at the possible expense of a guy like Kuba, that's how I see it.

Tricky stuff, but an absolute upgrade, yes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Then comes the debate on whether or not the incoming player is or isn't a legit #1. Like Ballard, for example. Is he or isn't he?

That's my question as well. I don't think he is personally.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Will Kuba's NTC keep him on the team until it lifts though?

My understanding is that it lifts this summer.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If that doesn't his inconsistent play might.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Where did you hear that?

He was quoted saying that after the pre-season. He said that he firmly expects him to compete for a spot at the next camp and he said that he was probably NHL ready in December.

"He's a big kid that we think has a big future in the (NHL)," Senators
general manager Bryan Murray told reporters in Buffalo, where the
Senators face the Sabres tonight. "We certainly liked his training camp
this year and with the progress he’s made over the season, Jared has a
real chance in camp next year to be an NHL player.

"We’re hoping this signing gives him that opportunity and the incentive
now to do what he has to for the balance of his junior career and have
a huge summer … It’s a real important signing for us."

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516119

Even sending big blueliner Jared Cowen back to the Western Hockey
League's Spokane Chiefs – a move the Senators made official today –
pained Murray, who believes the team's top pick (ninth overall) in the
2009 NHL Entry Draft isn't far from being NHL-ready (mp3.file).

"To me, that was real hard because I could see him, in November, being
able to play at a very good level in this league,"
Murray said of the
6-foot-5, 225-pound Cowen, who is just returning to game action after
missing eight months while recovering from major knee surgery.

"I really like young players that step up the way he did. It was such a
good performance overall (Monday night against the Tampa Bay Lightning)
for a guy that hadn't played hockey in a long time. But probably, in
the long run, it's better for him (to go back to junior hockey)."

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499404

Hmm, very interesting. From what I've seen he hasn't nailed down the speed yet required at the NHL level. I definitely see him not making the team next year, unless Murray creates a hole that he needs to fill, ie. he allows Campoli and Volchenkov to walk in the off-season and thus needs a player to come up and doesn't want to go the over-priced FA route.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's my question as well. I don't think he is personally.

He's not a #1. There are very few of them in the league that legitimately are. Cowen is our best hope at a legitimate #1 if he can improve his speed and offensive abilities. Karlsson's going to be a FANTASTIC offensive defenseman, but will sadly be a #2 unless his strength improves dramatically.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

My understanding is that it lifts this summer.

I think we should Kuba as long as we can find a way to get a better defenseman to slot into that #1 spot. Kuba's a great defenseman when you put him in a position to succeed. Making him the top dog on the blueline is a mistake in my opinion, akin to labeling Mike Fisher a first line center because he can do the job for stretches.

Those two guys succeed and thrive when they are put into their appropriate roles where they can maximize their skills.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cowen will be here next season, barring a setback on his knee.

Clouston went off to see him during the Olympic break and we all know Murray loves him. He'll be given every chance to make the team next year.

There was tons of speculation with Karlsson followed by outrage that he was on the team instead of Lee. It will be similar with Cowen, and I think he'll do fine once he settles in.

Robidas makes our team so much better. A smaller version of volchenkov with offensive instincts though. he has to be everybodys first choice. exactly the type of player needed for this team, so underrated and so cheap. hamhuis would be next.
the problem with all this is foligno will be going the other way. do we take the results now for the sake of the losing the deal in the later years? easy answer is yes, but it will still hurt the insides.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cloverleaf wrote:Robidas makes our team so much better. A smaller version of volchenkov with offensive instincts though. he has to be everybodys first choice. exactly the type of player needed for this team, so underrated and so cheap. hamhuis would be next.
the problem with all this is foligno will be going the other way. do we take the results now for the sake of the losing the deal in the later years? easy answer is yes, but it will still hurt the insides.

Later years I'm not worried about, Robidas is signed for 4 more (I believe) at a good rate (3.5 or something). That's decent enough. I would trade Foligno + for Robidas without blinking an eye, then I would prepare to trade Kuba this summer.

But...Murray knows what to do.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hmm, I don't think I would trade one of our bright young players like Foligno or Regin for a Robidas, but if that's what it would cost to get someone a little better than Robidas then maybe....

Last edited by Big Ev on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I figure Robidas is the Stars' long term plans and he'll either be expensive to get or is 100% untradeable.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me, I know lots of 'untradeable' players have been dealt in the past, but this sounds unlikely to me right now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I figure Robidas is the Stars' long term plans and he'll either be expensive to get or is 100% untradeable.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me, I know lots of 'untradeable' players have been dealt in the past, but this sounds unlikely to me right now.

Seriously though, Hicks is in dire straits.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 32]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum