GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED)

+24
asq2
sens4win
Vandelay
Phoenix30
wprager
LeCaptain
Bramlet07
The Silfer Server
Hoags
andyman998
KubaTrooper
SensHulk
jamvan
dennycrane
PTFlea
BigRig
SDH89
Riprock
garblar
beerandsens
caissie_1
Hayden
rooneypoo
PKC
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 15]

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Has anyone brought up the fact that Ruutu gets to beat on Phaneuf now for 7 games a year...

Rumors are swirling that Phaneuf is a major cancer, but even if he isn't Toronto's defense looks like:
Dion Phaneuf$6,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Mike Komisarek$4,500,0002014 (UFA)
Tomas Kaberle $4,250,000 2011 (UFA)
Francois Beauchemin $3,800,000 2012 (UFA)
Jeff Finger $3,500,000 2012 (UFA)
Luke Schenn EL $2,975,000 $2,100,000 2011 (RFA)

Maybe it's just me but that's a lot of money for 1 puck moving defensemen and 5 pilons. Right now Kaberle is the only guy who is playing even close to what he's being paid.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Devo wrote:Has anyone brought up the fact that Ruutu gets to beat on Phaneuf now for 7 games a year...

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Devo wrote:
Rumors are swirling that Phaneuf is a major cancer,

I would bet on that personally. I think Burke and Wilson really rolled the dice on this trade.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Devo wrote:

I would bet on that personally. I think Burke and Wilson really rolled the dice on this trade.

You'd be a cancer too if you couldn't even close your eyes for a second without seeing Avery smiling at you while nailing your girlfriend. Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 15 62136

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:
Phillips won't be traded, Kuba's value has dropped and price is high, Volch has value but is a huge part of the teams success, Campoli and Picard might be resigned to short term, minimal raises, and Carkner was just re-signed, and Karlsson is awesome.

Maybe Voclhenkov is re-signed, or traded alone or with one or both of Picard and Campoli, but seems unlikely.

But I would basically say that Phillips, Kuba, Karlsson and Carkner are on this team next year.

I agree with this except that I think Kuba has pretty decent value - and his term and salary are good as well. He's a relatively easy trade if we need - especially based on some of the movements we've seen in the last 24 hours.

His value was highest at the deadline, but Murray kept him. Maybe there wasn't much interest afterall?

The Battle of Ontario has just gotten more intense... Phaneuf-Ruutu.... Cuthbert-Underwood....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Devo wrote:

You'd be a cancer too if you couldn't even close your eyes for a second without seeing Avery smiling at you while nailing your girlfriend. Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 15 62136

But...I'd be banging Cuthbert in that scenario.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Devo wrote:

And Komisarek, who's now a teammate. And Fez from That 70's show, although that's creepy for a whole other reason. I'd probably go crazy too if I had to live with the knowledge that the reincarnation of Poncho from CHIPS back-doored my GF.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:His value was highest at the deadline, but Murray kept him. Maybe there wasn't much interest afterall?

The Battle of Ontario has just gotten more intense... Phaneuf-Ruutu.... Cuthbert-Underwood....

He kept him because he knew we'd need a stabilizing force on the back end until Karlsson was ready. Someone veteran to keep things together and to still man the PP until everything fell into place. Which is why Kuba's NTC is lifted this summer IMO. Perhaps one more year of Kuba, then we move him IMO.

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Devo wrote:

But...I'd be banging Cuthbert in that scenario.

She's a bit of a swamp donkey. You can do better.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

Can't speak for Phaneuf or whoever we were talking about, but I did do better... Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 15 542150

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Can't speak for Phaneuf or whoever we were talking about, but I did do better... Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 15 542150

Well if a swamp donkey is your comparison, it'd be pretty hard to do worse.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Well if a swamp donkey is your comparison, it'd be pretty hard to do worse.

I was talking about the un-swampy Cuthburt, but yeah, that's a fair assessment too. Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 15 542150

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great article from Andy Strickland.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/Buyer-Beware-For-Leafs-Fans-Karyia-Not-Asked-to-W8230/5/25965

The most common phrase we here from GM’s around the NHL today is how you can’t make trades in the salary cap era. That appeared to be the case until this week when a firestorm erupted in a couple of markets. Still one thing that can’t get lost is the money going from one team to the next in most of these deals still comes close to an even swap salary wise.

I’m really curious to see how Dion Phaneuf going to Toronto plays out over the long haul. Not to pick on the guy but he’s one of the more disliked NHL players you’ll find both on the ice and inside the dressing room. I don’t always like to make too much of player relations as you can find player rifts on probably every team in the league.

But with that being said Calgary made this trade with Toronto for one reason, and that’s to rid themselves of Phaneuf. They no longer wanted Phaneuf the person not the hockey player. You normally wouldn’t trade a “Name” player this early into a long-term contract unless there’s a personal issue. Several sources indicate there was. When Phanuef signed his deal many believed he’d be a future Norris Trophy winner but it appears his game is a notch below that mark.

Whether it was his rumored conflict with popular Calgary D-man Robyn Regehr or his poor relationship with the Head Coach, the bottom line is Calgary got exactly what they wanted which is a trade that removes Phaneuf from the dressing room.

So as the celebration continues in Toronto the buyer should beware. The former All-star D-man struggled fitting in a dressing room where the team has a decent history of winning in the regular season, how will he fit in a losing environment in Toronto?

While Toronto gets the best player in the deal Calgary did ok by adding some depth up front. They get a couple of 20 goal scorers along with a veteran player in Jamal Mayers. They also got maybe the most underrated player in the deal in D-man Ian White who at the end of the deal could end up being the best player in the trade.
I like this guy White who by all accounts is a great character guy to compliment his offensive skills on the ice. It wasn’t too long ago that he couldn’t even find his way into the lineup. At one point Leafs Head Coach Ron Wilson continued to mess with this kid by using him at forward but you never heard a complaint come from Ian White. These are the types of players you want in your organization. He played over 21 minutes in his first game with Calgary and I won’t be surprised to see that number jump up closer to 25 as we move along.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Phaneuf sounds like a real head case.

I'm glad we didn't make a play for him, and quite a few thought we should make a play for him (correctly) assuming he'd be on the market. I think us Sens fans know what drama and prima donnas in the dressing room do to a team.

Brian Murray seems to know as well as he preferred to ship Heatley out of town and somewhat ripped off in the deal rather than have an inevitable soap opera erupt in the room all year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah for sure, I would guess Murray`s had it up to here with head cases.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum