GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED)

+24
asq2
sens4win
Vandelay
Phoenix30
wprager
LeCaptain
Bramlet07
The Silfer Server
Hoags
andyman998
KubaTrooper
SensHulk
jamvan
dennycrane
PTFlea
BigRig
SDH89
Riprock
garblar
beerandsens
caissie_1
Hayden
rooneypoo
PKC
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 15]

Jordo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I haven't read all of the posts in this topic, but from the ones I did read, it seems like everyone is in agreement that Calgary got fleeced.

A few comments-

In all honesty, I think Toronto got fleeced. Today, they've managed to trade away all of their offensive talent, with the exception of Kessel, Grabs and Poni- the latter two being marginal at best.. They added a slumping defender in Phaneuf (who i realize has potential..), as well as JS Giguere, who has been on a steady decline since the equipment regulations were imposed.

So now Toronto has 9 D-men on their roster costing them almost 27 million dollars- most of which can be considered deadweight (Finger, Van Ryn, Exelby, Schenn ATM).

I think Toronto is going to have a terribly difficult time scoring goals. Phaneuf has been known to disrupt dressing rooms and carry a bad attitude, and I can only imagine how that's going to go over with the egos in the centre of the hockey universe.

Moving to Calgary, I think Bob McKenzie said it best- they addressed all kinds of needs that the team desperately required, and they cleared up a big chunk of cap space to go out and get a Kovalchuk to make a run.

I really don't get the inclusion of Aulie though. That's a pretty solid prospect. Does anybody have an update on the kid?

Either way, this is a knee-jerk reaction from Burke, and while he's definitely working towards the future, I cannot imagine that this is going to help them this year.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:I haven't read all of the posts in this topic, but from the ones I did read, it seems like everyone is in agreement that Calgary got fleeced.

A few comments-

In all honesty, I think Toronto got fleeced. Today, they've managed to trade away all of their offensive talent, with the exception of Kessel, Grabs and Poni- the latter two being marginal at best.. They added a slumping defender in Phaneuf (who i realize has potential..), as well as JS Giguere, who has been on a steady decline since the equipment regulations were imposed.

So now Toronto has 9 D-men on their roster costing them almost 27 million dollars- most of which can be considered deadweight (Finger, Van Ryn, Exelby, Schenn ATM).

I think Toronto is going to have a terribly difficult time scoring goals. Phaneuf has been known to disrupt dressing rooms and carry a bad attitude, and I can only imagine how that's going to go over with the egos in the centre of the hockey universe.

Moving to Calgary, I think Bob McKenzie said it best- they addressed all kinds of needs that the team desperately required, and they cleared up a big chunk of cap space to go out and get a Kovalchuk to make a run.

I really don't get the inclusion of Aulie though. That's a pretty solid prospect. Does anybody have an update on the kid?

Either way, this is a knee-jerk reaction from Burke, and while he's definitely working towards the future, I cannot imagine that this is going to help them this year.

CGY did not clear up any cap space, or very, very little -- unless you mean, they cleared cap space for next year, which they did only if they don't re-sign White and Stajan (which makes this deal make even less sense).

In any event, none of this helps them clear space now to acquire Kovalchuk. Given that the latter is on the final year of his deal, there are no 'tagging' issues to consider either.

Jordo wrote:I haven't read all of the posts in this topic, but from the ones I did read, it seems like everyone is in agreement that Calgary got fleeced.

A few comments-

Well said. Aulie is a player. Everything I've heard says the Flames did have plans for him, so he could help Toronto for sure, down the line as shutdown guy with some skill. Sjostrom is also a sizable piece of this deal too. Last year, he and Blair Betts formed the best PK duo in the league. This guy can really help the Leafs PK, which is beyond awful.

I think Toronto has the potential for the steal, but Im not so sure, at this momment in time it's a total win for them. There is still a real possibility that White turns into the better all around D man.

We'll see how it turns out because if Phaneuf turns into nothing more then a Souray type things might not be so good for The Leafs here. Short term, Toronto got a lot worse.

Anyways, a lot is up in the air with this trade but I like it from Toronto's perspective because of the potential. Calgary I think moves some present dead weight for more scoring and the better D man (at this point in time). Who knows what Stajan does with Iginla on his wings as well, he could turn into a 60/70 point guy very easily.

Of course, we all know what happened the last time TO and Calgary made a huge blockbuster.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm assuming this no longer means Phaneuf for Spezza? Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 14 270956

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Phaneuf is a head case, we finally got rid of ours (Heatley, Emery) and now we'd want another one ?

Not to mention Toronto needs better defense, their zone coverage and PK is awful. Phaneuf isn't going to improve that, he might make it worse if anything.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Phaneuf is a head case, we finally got rid of ours (Heatley, Emery) and now we'd want another one ?

Not to mention Toronto needs better defense, their zone coverage and PK is awful. Phaneuf isn't going to improve that, he might make it worse if anything.

I never wanted another player who was a black plague in here. Phaneuf is young enough to turn it around, but that's not what we're about here.

I agree, I'm glad we didn't make that move after some thought.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:Of course, we all know what happened the last time TO and Calgary made a huge blockbuster.

The penguins won the stanley cup??? Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 14 Icon_scratch

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:Of course, we all know what happened the last time TO and Calgary made a huge blockbuster.

I want to say Doug Gilmour. But I can't recall 100%.

SpezDispenser wrote:

I want to say Doug Gilmour. But I can't recall 100%.

Yeah, the Gilmour/Leeman deal. Turned TO into a playoff team for about a decade.

Calgary promptly went nearly a decade without a playoff game.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ottawa's defence is pretty much set because of the contracts we have.
Kuba - 2 more years at 3.7
Phillips - 1 more year at 3.5
Volchenkov - UFA (2.5)
Campoli - RFA (.633)
Karlsson - 2 more years at 1.3
Picard - RFA (.800)
Carkner - 2 more years (.700)

Phillips won't be traded, Kuba's value has dropped and price is high, Volch has value but is a huge part of the teams success, Campoli and Picard might be resigned to short term, minimal raises, and Carkner was just re-signed, and Karlsson is awesome.

Maybe Voclhenkov is re-signed, or traded alone or with one or both of Picard and Campoli, but seems unlikely.

But I would basically say that Phillips, Kuba, Karlsson and Carkner are on this team next year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Yeah, the Gilmour/Leeman deal. Turned TO into a playoff team for about a decade.

Calgary promptly went nearly a decade without a playoff game.

*low whistle*...mind you, Gilmour wasn't acting like a child like Phanuef, he was actually a real player at that time. But the similarities are there.

Memo to Ryan Shannon: Keep your Diddling head up against the Leafs!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:
Phillips won't be traded, Kuba's value has dropped and price is high, Volch has value but is a huge part of the teams success, Campoli and Picard might be resigned to short term, minimal raises, and Carkner was just re-signed, and Karlsson is awesome.

Maybe Voclhenkov is re-signed, or traded alone or with one or both of Picard and Campoli, but seems unlikely.

But I would basically say that Phillips, Kuba, Karlsson and Carkner are on this team next year.

I agree with this except that I think Kuba has pretty decent value - and his term and salary are good as well. He's a relatively easy trade if we need - especially based on some of the movements we've seen in the last 24 hours.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Phaneuf is no Gilmour though ...

Leafs could use a #1 centre, they haven't had one since Sundin and they traded away the closest thing they had to it.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Has anyone brought up the fact that Ruutu gets to beat on Phaneuf now for 7 games a year...

Rumors are swirling that Phaneuf is a major cancer, but even if he isn't Toronto's defense looks like:
Dion Phaneuf$6,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Mike Komisarek$4,500,0002014 (UFA)
Tomas Kaberle $4,250,000 2011 (UFA)
Francois Beauchemin $3,800,000 2012 (UFA)
Jeff Finger $3,500,000 2012 (UFA)
Luke Schenn EL $2,975,000 $2,100,000 2011 (RFA)

Maybe it's just me but that's a lot of money for 1 puck moving defensemen and 5 pilons. Right now Kaberle is the only guy who is playing even close to what he's being paid.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Devo wrote:Has anyone brought up the fact that Ruutu gets to beat on Phaneuf now for 7 games a year...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Devo wrote:
Rumors are swirling that Phaneuf is a major cancer,

I would bet on that personally. I think Burke and Wilson really rolled the dice on this trade.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum