GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED)

+24
asq2
sens4win
Vandelay
Phoenix30
wprager
LeCaptain
Bramlet07
The Silfer Server
Hoags
andyman998
KubaTrooper
SensHulk
jamvan
dennycrane
PTFlea
BigRig
SDH89
Riprock
garblar
beerandsens
caissie_1
Hayden
rooneypoo
PKC
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Bramlet07

Veteran
Veteran

Phanuef situation is almost identical to Spezza, so for everyone who wants to trade him the return would be pretty similar. Would anyone make that deal?

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Spezza, Shannon, Cowen for 4 plugs? no thanks.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Bramlet07 wrote:Phanuef situation is almost identical to Spezza, so for everyone who wants to trade him the return would be pretty similar. Would anyone make that deal?

Rule #1 in all trade Spezza scenarios: don't deal with a team that doesn't have a 1st round draft pick AND next to no desireable players on its roster. Smile

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Nope, that Phaneuf deal looks brutal for the Flames IMO

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Again, Phaneuf must be rotten to the core. No GM in their right mind would trade a 24 year old who's already had an amazing year and a Norris nominee - not to mention the insane hype about him coming up and to the draft, no GM would trade this package unless there was something truly wrong with him. A terrible attitude, a lazy player, lazy off the ice, likes to party. One or all of these are true of Dion based on what happened today.

We might be lucky we never made a deal to land him, we might have regretted it.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Holy mother of god WTF is going on Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 9 62136

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Stajan has potential, Hagman is a useful player, White may well be a steal...

But for Phaneuf and Aulie? Yuck.

I really hope BM did his due diligence on Phaneuf. He's pretty much the D we've been needing for, oh, 3 years now.

Don't worry, we have one who is going to be a superstar. Maybe 2.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I know the guy's prettymuch unknown, but I can tell you right now, that this year, Ian White is a better player than Dion Phaneuf...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Bramlet07 wrote:Phanuef situation is almost identical to Spezza, so for everyone who wants to trade him the return would be pretty similar. Would anyone make that deal?

No Diddling way.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Again, Phaneuf must be rotten to the core. No GM in their right mind would trade a 24 year old who's already had an amazing year and a Norris nominee - not to mention the insane hype about him coming up and to the draft, no GM would trade this package unless there was something truly wrong with him. A terrible attitude, a lazy player, lazy off the ice, likes to party. One or all of these are true of Dion based on what happened today.

Toronto gets the best player, BUT this was clearly an asset to Calgary that was expendable. I think the Flames may get better if this is truly addition by subtraction.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Flames will finally score a lot of goals, but I don't even know how they are gonna fit everybody on the ice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, I missed quite a bit. Blockbuster, for sure, but it all hinges on whether Phaneurd can return to his former glory. My sons have friends over whose dad is a big Leafs fan. I'll have to ask him about this (he probably hasn't found out yet) when he comes to pick them up.

So, what does this do to the Leafs chances? Not much, I don't think. Phaneuf is playing like the lights are out, so I doubt he could help them defensively any more than White was. And if they get Giguere as well, well, hasn't Gustavsson played pretty well? What they need more than anything is a better system where the forwards forecheck hard to slow down the breakouts, then backcheck even harder to rush the passes in their own zone (and, just as important, to be there to scoop up the rebounds). Kinda like the system the Sens are playing.

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

im betting the leafs regret this in 2 years when white is contributing more than phaneuf while being paid half the money. i see phaneuf being the whipping boy in toronto (mccabe round 2)

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

One interesting thing to watch, Phaneuf and Avery will see eachother much more often now Update: Leafs acquire Phaneuf + 2 others for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers (CONFIRMED) + Giguere for Blake and Toskala (CONFIRMED) - Page 9 159628

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think its that bad a deal for the Flames other than the loss off Aulie. They gain cap space in the off season and add further depth to the team. Phaneuf isnt as bad as everyone thinks.

Leafs defence moving forward...schenn, beachemin, phaneuf, Kaberle, Komisarik, finger....I can't see why they would move Kaberle until next season depending on how the team does.

Giggy and the monster in net. Now Burke needs to shore up scoring via prospects, picks, free agency.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Phoenix30 wrote:I don't think its that bad a deal for the Flames other than the loss off Aulie. They gain cap space in the off season and add further depth to the team. Phaneuf isnt as bad as everyone thinks.

Leafs defence moving forward...schenn, beachemin, phaneuf, Kaberle, Komisarik, finger....I can't see why they would move Kaberle until next season depending on how the team does.

Giggy and the monster in net. Now Burke needs to shore up scoring via prospects, picks, free agency.

What's his budget for forwards, though?

$25.525 for D
$8.5M for the goalies
$1M for Tucker

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

dennycrane wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Again, Phaneuf must be rotten to the core. No GM in their right mind would trade a 24 year old who's already had an amazing year and a Norris nominee - not to mention the insane hype about him coming up and to the draft, no GM would trade this package unless there was something truly wrong with him. A terrible attitude, a lazy player, lazy off the ice, likes to party. One or all of these are true of Dion based on what happened today.

Toronto gets the best player, BUT this was clearly an asset to Calgary that was expendable. I think the Flames may get better if this is truly addition by subtraction.

Ya, more or less what I'm thinking. I think the flames went into this season knowing that things weren't headed in the direction they had hoped with Dion. So, they were proactive in the offseason, signing Jay B. Keep in mind what they still have on D in Calgary. They win cap space iand maybe what they see as a better fit for them on their blueline.

Who's going to score the goals in TO???

Blake, Hagman and Stajan all gone?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum