GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010

+16
PKC
Flo The Action
Devo
Sens19
garblar
Hockeyhero22000
sennies1980
beerandsens
SDH89
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Riprock
wprager
caissie_1
shabbs
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

beedub wrote:
Devo wrote:Kovalev has easily been our best Forward for the last 4 or 5 games. I'm not going to sit here and say that he's out of my dog house, but I'm atleast thinking of letting him have 5 more feet of rope.

5 more games playing like he has and I may just buy him one of those insulated Igloos from Pet Smart. 10 more games and I'll let him come in on really cold nights.

Kovy has been performing as advertised. His streaky bunches of goals are his trademark. It's the goals that keep people believing he'll reform and be a regular contributor. Love him or hate him, Kovy is doing what Kovy does best.
He is what he is... and extremely skilled and frustrating player to watch... who we are paying $5M/season.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

beedub wrote:
PKC wrote:I'd like to point out that Kovalev has helped improve the game of so many people on this team because whether he's streaky or not he really does demand a lot of defensive attention out on the ice and he's so skilled that he's still able to make plays.

That gorgeous little float pass to Kelly as he was breaking into the zone is the reason Kelly was able to make the move that he did. If he hadn't got that puck on time or hadn't been able to coral it because it was a bad pass, then that play never even develops let alone ends up in the back of the net.

It's little things like that. I've also gotta say, it's not very often when this guy has the puck on his stick that he loses the puck. Even in a maze of players he still comes out on the other side with it. It's absolutely amazing to watch.

Anyways, I'm loving the effort this team is giving lately. This team could easily be on a five game winning streak right now if not for a little too much complacency in the Colorado game.

Oh well, 4 of 5 is the next best thing I suppose.

No doubt Kovalev's value has been more the little intangibles that he brings. You are quite right, the saucer passes to set up others are genius. I love watching this cat pass the puck.

But 5 million value.....meh

Yet no one minded paying Fisher 6 million for his "intangibles" last year. GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 270956

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
beedub wrote:
PKC wrote:I'd like to point out that Kovalev has helped improve the game of so many people on this team because whether he's streaky or not he really does demand a lot of defensive attention out on the ice and he's so skilled that he's still able to make plays.

That gorgeous little float pass to Kelly as he was breaking into the zone is the reason Kelly was able to make the move that he did. If he hadn't got that puck on time or hadn't been able to coral it because it was a bad pass, then that play never even develops let alone ends up in the back of the net.

It's little things like that. I've also gotta say, it's not very often when this guy has the puck on his stick that he loses the puck. Even in a maze of players he still comes out on the other side with it. It's absolutely amazing to watch.

Anyways, I'm loving the effort this team is giving lately. This team could easily be on a five game winning streak right now if not for a little too much complacency in the Colorado game.

No doubt Kovalev's value has been more the little intangibles that he brings. You are quite right, the saucer passes to set up others are genius. I love watching this cat pass the puck.

Yet no one minded paying Fisher 6 million for his "intangibles" last year. GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 270956

It was agitating to watch Fisher struggle last year and we gave him a free ride because of all of the intangibles he brings to the team and because of his never quit attitude. But to be fair, salary is one thing and cap hit is another. If Mike Fisher's cap hit was $6 million last year, there would have been A LOT of unsatisfied people whether he's Mike Fisher or not.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
beedub wrote:

It was agitating to watch Fisher struggle last year and we gave him a free ride because of all of the intangibles he brings to the team and because of his never quit attitude. But to be fair, salary is one thing and cap hit is another. If Mike Fisher's cap hit was $6 million last year, there would have been A LOT of unsatisfied people whether he's Mike Fisher or not.

It's still 4.2 million. "Ottawa Fan" has been brainwashed into thinking that "hard hat and lunchpail" players are the stars of the team. Offensive talent just doesn't cut it in this market.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
PKC wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
beedub wrote:

It's still 4.2 million. "Ottawa Fan" has been brainwashed into thinking that "hard hat and lunchpail" players are the stars of the team. Offensive talent just doesn't cut it in this market.

It's not that, it's the fact that fans watched those offensive talents get killed every year in the postseason by those "hard hat and lunchpail" players that people started gaining an extreme bias towards the latter type of player.

Lucky for us, Mike Fisher is a hard hat and boots kind of guy but also has the offensive ability.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Dash wrote:One game hardly makes up for the season. YEs, Kovalev played awesome, but really, he should be.

Leclaire had another bad game. He rebounded well after losing the first of a back-to-back, so I would say consistency is an issue here. Maybe he's still not 100%, which is also a concern, cause injuries have been a huge problem for him the past few years.

I'm also hoping Michalek and Fisher start scoring again at a PPG pace.

It's pretty clear he makes players around him better. You think it's an accident that Del Shannon is suddenly producing? Kovalev is suddenly on pace for 54 points, by the way. Wasn't 60 supposed to be a good year for him?

Leclaire's problems have nothing to do with injury. If anything, his reflexes and movement are great. His positioning and anticipation are horrid.

Both Clouston and Murray have both said the Shannon came back a week or even two weeks too early from his concussion earlier this season. Clouston said before the Isles game on the Team that he would have handled it differently had he known - and he said that Shannon's intense desire to come back and get back into the swing of things - not to mention fight for his job - almost cost him his NHL career.

Shannon was great for the entire time he was here last year, the fact that he had dropped off so much this year after the concussion makes some sense now in retrospect. We're lucky he got it back - and he's damn lucky he got it back and appears to have solidified himself as a very capable top 6 fill in for injuries.

I'm back on the Shannon bandwagon! Yay Shannon! Ahhhhh!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Are we still Dung on Kovalev? Not a peep about Leclaire, I guess?

What is there to say about Leclaire SSF? He's very Gerber-esque.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That's pretty scary about Shannon. If he had taken another head shot right after coming back... who know what would have happened. I hope they re-visit their "cleared to play" procedure. Health and safety of the player has to be first and foremost in everyone's mind.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Concussions are a tricky thing to gauge though. Once the initial obvious symptoms wear off, it's extremely hard to tell if a player is still experiencing the effects.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Are we still Dung on Kovalev? Not a peep about Leclaire, I guess?

Now you're starting to sound like me. GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 235689 GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 805406

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens lines at practice today:

Kovalev-Fisher-Shannon
Michalek-Regin-Foligno
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Cheechoo-Winchester-Donovan

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cory Clouston post-skate presser from today:

http://senators.nhl.com/v2/ext/Audio/100104_Clouston.mp3

Have not listened to it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I saw Clouston smile on the bench yesterday. That was weird. GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 49849

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:That's pretty scary about Shannon. If he had taken another head shot right after coming back... who know what would have happened. I hope they re-visit their "cleared to play" procedure. Health and safety of the player has to be first and foremost in everyone's mind.

Exactly, yeah. The problem here is the player in question was scared about losing his NHL job and decided to come back early. This is on the players as much as the medical staff - don't BS, it can lead to the end of the career.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Now you're starting to sound like me. GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 235689 GAME DAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators - 1:00pm ET - Sun. Jan. 3rd, 2010 - Page 9 805406

I love Leclaire's attitude, but he has a lot to clean up - and quick IMO.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Leclaire's inconsistencies have me worried somewhat. He's clearly talented enough to be a game-stealing #1 NHL goalie.

I think the Sens should play him against the Bruins. Let's not descend into TML "goaltending controversy" territory.

Besides it's the Bruins, we're not gonna win (I'm convinced this team will never beat Boston -- as long as Thomas is around anyway).

As for Shannon, I suspected it was injury. I still have questions whether he can be a forward in the NHL, let's see if he can keep this up.

Last edited by Hoags on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Leclaire's inconsistencies have me worried somewhat. He's clearly talented enough to be a game-stealing #1 NHL goalie.

I think the Sens should play him against the Bruins. Let's not descend into TML "goaltending controversy" territory.

Besides it's the Bruins, we're not gonna win (I'm convinced this team will never beat Boston -- as long as Thomas is around anyway).

It's an easy choice since Elliott couldn't beat the Bruins.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I expected Thomas to start for the B's as Rask goes tonight for them.

GDT coming shortly...

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum