GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal

+13
beedub
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Riprock
TheAvatar
SDH89
asq2
LeCaptain
davetherave
shabbs
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 13]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

Crozby/Malkin numbers?

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

In terms of length, or money? Because neither Kane nor Toews comes close to Crosby or Malkin IMO.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I would think Carter/Richards money is fair.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

5 million 10 yeasr each.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^that'd be a sweetheart deal for the 'Hawks. I think $5.7-6 million for 6 years would be more fair.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:5 million 10 yeasr each.

No deal. Minimum of 6 million X 10 years - and that's a hometown discount with the Nash signing, Staal, Vinny etc.

7 X 7 for Toews? 6 X 10 for Kane? 5.5 x 5 for Keith?

Am I being conservative?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

7 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for Toews right now.

I'd say 5.5/5.7 for Jonny and 6 for the other two.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:7 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for Toews right now.

Silly boy, living in the real world... don't you know contracts are for FUTURE, POTENTIAL, POSSIBLE performance.

tsk tsk tsk

Facepalm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:^that'd be a sweetheart deal for the 'Hawks. I think $5.7-6 million for 6 years would be more fair.

You can go that route too, but if you want to get all 3 signed, you give them the longest term possible to get the lowest cap hit.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, I'm just not sure if the players (agents) will go for that.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Yeah, I'm just not sure if the players (agents) will go for that.

I think they take a bit of a hometown discount. The atmosphere is pretty good in that locker room, and as the Captain you should give the example.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Getzlaf - 5.325
Perry - 5.325

M. Richards - 5.75
Carter - 5

I would say those are very good comparables for Kane and Toews, and I believe the average length was about 5 years on those deals.

And I also believe those are all 2nd contracts? Nash was a 3rd contract.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Stan and Scotty just want to thank all you for your enthusiasm and creativity...and they want you all to enjoy this video:

Have a good night everyone!
UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 2 54934

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:7 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for Toews right now.

Yeah, but he'd get 8 million in the future, so it evens out. How much do you need to see of him before you commit longterm? I've seen enough from all three personally.

6 each for all three would be fairly nice in terms of value. That's what I thought in the summer.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

If he gets $8 million, it's because the cap will have risen dramatically and 8 becomes the new $6.5 million.

Toews' hype is surreal. He's a good player, but is he ever going to be more than a 80 point guy?

EDIT: Hank Zetterberg just signed a contract with a cap-hit of slightly over $6 million. Granted, that's over 12 years, but he's got a 92 point season, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe and Selke Runner-up to his name, and he's on pace for 100 points this season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:If he gets $8 million, it's because the cap will have risen dramatically and 8 becomes the new $6.5 million.

Toews' hype is surreal. He's a good player, but is he ever going to be more than a 80 point guy?

EDIT: Hank Zetterberg just signed a contract with a cap-hit of slightly over $6 million. Granted, that's over 12 years, but he's got a 92 point season, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe and Selke Runner-up to his name, and he's on pace for 100 points this season.

Who knows? He's a baby, literally, there's 100 points in his future IMO. Not to mention that he's the captain and the new face of the franchise.

I guess the point is, even if they all get 6 million, there are issues coming.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

No kidding. That's about $10 million in cap hit coming in.

Re: Toews amassing 100 points, I'm unconvinced. Certainly not with consistency. He's young, granted, but he's had incredible talent around him thus far. Kane's the playmaker, so to hit 100 points, Toews would probably have to break 50 goals.

I don't see it. I think it's far more likely he puts up Mike Richards' numbers, and if he were to do so, every 'Hawks fan should be ecstatic.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:No kidding. That's about $10 million in cap hit coming in.

Re: Toews amassing 100 points, I'm unconvinced. Certainly not with consistency. He's young, granted, but he's had incredible talent around him thus far. Kane's the playmaker, so to hit 100 points, Toews would probably have to break 50 goals.

I don't see it. I think it's far more likely he puts up Mike Richards' numbers, and if he were to do so, every 'Hawks fan should be ecstatic.

Fair enough. I think he might have some underlying skills setting guys up - like Seabrook today, but we'll see. Kane might be the 50 goal guy at some point - and if they play together, the sky's the limit for Toews as well.

But as you say, I'm sure Hawks fans are already ecstatic on how these guys have developed at such a young age. And they should be, but it's time to pay for it as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum