GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal

+13
beedub
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Riprock
TheAvatar
SDH89
asq2
LeCaptain
davetherave
shabbs
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Custance's article just repeats what we all know. Chicago is a great team and they're fine cap-wise for now. There's no harm in discussing and speculating what Chicago might do down the line when they won't be fine. And that day will come.

Jordo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Cue the Campbell to everywhere rumours...

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:They could move Sharp and Sopel, or Versteeg and Byfuglien.

I'll take either Sharp or Versteeg here in Ottawa.

Diddle yeah. Versteeg and Byfuglien would be wicked though. Wow.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Chicago is in a good position.

Quite a few teams will be approaching them and they'll be able to pick and choose to get the best possible deals.

Ottawa is going to have to make a compelling offer to stand a chance.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

Not so fast. Experts such as Craig Custance and Ken Holland basically say everything is, and forever will be, fine in Chicagoland.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm just trying to figure out who they can move and not really upset too much in the order. Versteeg had a great season last year, is doing alright this year, but could probably be replaced at some point. Buff might be expendable soon if Beach or Aliu develop, not that Buff is replaceable by any means though - he's a beast.

Sharp is hard to replace - great leader, great two-way player, but saw the 4th line a lot last season, which is just crazy for a guy like that.

And Sopel is, well, a journeyman.

Is it 100% certain they have to be under next years cap, this year? This whole tagging issue? And do they have a deadline to do it? Cause it sees they are getting away with something here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Not so fast. Experts such as Craig Custance and Ken Holland basically say everything is, and forever will be, fine in Chicagoland.

Everything's gonna be hunky-dorky. When they jettison 2 of those 3 million dollar contracts - or one big, let's say...I dunno...7.1 million dollar contract?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I'm just trying to figure out who they can move and not really upset too much in the order. Versteeg had a great season last year, is doing alright this year, but could probably be replaced at some point. Buff might be expendable soon if Beach or Aliu develop, not that Buff is replaceable by any means though - he's a beast.

Sharp is hard to replace - great leader, great two-way player, but saw the 4th line a lot last season, which is just crazy for a guy like that.

Is it 100% certain they have to be under next years cap, this year? This whole tagging issue? And do they have a deadline to do it? Cause it sees they are getting away with something here.

I would bet the farm that Sopel's out of CHI by January latest - if not before the roster freeze this month.

Then the Hawks can re-examine the situation after the playoffs with time.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Everything's gonna be hunky-dorky. When they jettison 2 of those 3 million dollar contracts - or one big, let's say...I dunno...7.1 million dollar contract?

I'm pretty sure they don't even have to do that. They can probably even add a few stars. Ottawa, on the other hand, need to address their FA issues... or else!!!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I see what you're doing there. Sarcasm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dash wrote:I'm just trying to figure out who they can move and not really upset too much in the order. Versteeg had a great season last year, is doing alright this year, but could probably be replaced at some point. Buff might be expendable soon if Beach or Aliu develop, not that Buff is replaceable by any means though - he's a beast.

The tagging issue is a combination of their current cap space and the total amount of $$$ from the contracts that are coming off the books at the end of the season. So, they identify all the contracts that are coming off the books (ie: tag them), total up their $$$ and then add in their current cap space. That amount is the max amount they can sign for next year, this year. The word was they were very close (like $1M or so) so either they just had to wait a bit for their cap space numbers to improve or they are going to trade/waive someone to get that $1M bump.

I don't know what they did to change anything...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:[The tagging issue is a combination of their current cap space and the total amount of $$$ from the contracts that are coming off the books at the end of the season. So, they identify all the contracts that are coming off the books (ie: tag them), total up their $$$ and then add in their current cap space. That amount is the max amount they can sign for next year, this year. The word was they were very close (like $1M or so) so either they just had to wait a bit for their cap space numbers to improve or they are going to trade/waive someone to get that $1M bump.

I don't know what they did to change anything...

Trade? Swirlings? Dominoes?

Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the NHL has given then a deadline by which they need to be compliant or the Hawks have told the NHL what they plan to do.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Perhaps the NHL has given then a deadline by which they need to be compliant or the Hawks have told the NHL what they plan to do.

Here's the Hawks stated position, as told to the NHL:

"My dad is Scotty Bowman. So there."

- Stan Bowman

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Perhaps the NHL has given then a deadline by which they need to be compliant or the Hawks have told the NHL what they plan to do.

Here's the Hawks stated position, as told to the NHL:

"My dad is Scotty Bowman. So there."

- Stan Bowman
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Press: "How are you getting around the tagging issue?"
Stan: "My Dad is Scotty Bowman. He'll fix it. I'm not worried"

Press: "What about next season? With this signing, you're $5M OVER the cap with only 16 players signed."
Stan: "My Dad is Scotty Bowman. He'll fix it. I'm not worried"

Press: "Ok then...."
Stan: "Daddy... can I go play with my lego again..."

Laughing3

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And another article posted by DTR in 3...2...1 Just kidding DTR.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:And another article posted by DTR in 3...2...1 Just kidding DTR.
"Shields up... DTR is getting set to attack..."

Wink

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:And another article posted by DTR in 3...2...1 Just kidding DTR.
"Shields up... DTR is getting set to attack..."

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 11 Icon_wink

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 11 235689 UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 11 805406

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum