GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal

+13
beedub
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Riprock
TheAvatar
SDH89
asq2
LeCaptain
davetherave
shabbs
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 13]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:If he gets $8 million, it's because the cap will have risen dramatically and 8 becomes the new $6.5 million.

Toews' hype is surreal. He's a good player, but is he ever going to be more than a 80 point guy?

EDIT: Hank Zetterberg just signed a contract with a cap-hit of slightly over $6 million. Granted, that's over 12 years, but he's got a 92 point season, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe and Selke Runner-up to his name, and he's on pace for 100 points this season.

Who knows? He's a baby, literally, there's 100 points in his future IMO. Not to mention that he's the captain and the new face of the franchise.

I guess the point is, even if they all get 6 million, there are issues coming.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

No kidding. That's about $10 million in cap hit coming in.

Re: Toews amassing 100 points, I'm unconvinced. Certainly not with consistency. He's young, granted, but he's had incredible talent around him thus far. Kane's the playmaker, so to hit 100 points, Toews would probably have to break 50 goals.

I don't see it. I think it's far more likely he puts up Mike Richards' numbers, and if he were to do so, every 'Hawks fan should be ecstatic.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:No kidding. That's about $10 million in cap hit coming in.

Re: Toews amassing 100 points, I'm unconvinced. Certainly not with consistency. He's young, granted, but he's had incredible talent around him thus far. Kane's the playmaker, so to hit 100 points, Toews would probably have to break 50 goals.

I don't see it. I think it's far more likely he puts up Mike Richards' numbers, and if he were to do so, every 'Hawks fan should be ecstatic.

Fair enough. I think he might have some underlying skills setting guys up - like Seabrook today, but we'll see. Kane might be the 50 goal guy at some point - and if they play together, the sky's the limit for Toews as well.

But as you say, I'm sure Hawks fans are already ecstatic on how these guys have developed at such a young age. And they should be, but it's time to pay for it as well.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Tim Sassone at the Chicago Daily Herald today:

Pierre LeBrun reported on Hockey Night in Canada and ESPN.com that the Hawks are getting closer to signing Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane to multiyear contract extensions.

The news comes as no surprise since agent Pat Brisson, who represents Toews and Kane, has been negotiating with Hawks general manager Stan Bowman for more than two months.

Toews and Kane would be restricted free agents after the season, meaning the Hawks would have the right to match any potential offer sheet.

Once the Hawks have Toews and Kane in the fold, Bowman can zero in on signing Duncan Keith before he becomes a restricted free agent.

And an *exclusive* for GMHockey Members, from last night's victory over the Sharks:
UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 Jonny_10

Mr. Toews sends his best, and thanks you all for your support.
UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 54934

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Keep these three guys in the West! Thanks a lot.

Signed,

The East.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I like his expression in that photo. UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 270956 Was he watching #15 play defence?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:I like his expression in that photo. Was he watching #15 play defence?

You can always learn something, eh...
UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 270956

...and actually, he was setting up Brent Seabrook's game winning goal.

PS on the "NHL On The Fly" post game report, ex-Wings d-man and current Red Wings colour commentator Larry Murphy had a number of compliments for Toews, including, and I quote: "Toews reminds me of Henrik Zetterberg. These are two guys, when they get the puck they always do the right thing."

Couldn't agree more with Larry.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The latest buzz has the term as being 8 years for both.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:The latest buzz has the term as being 8 years for both.

How many years of RFA vs UFA would the Hawks be buying? That will be a massive factor in the final salary cap number.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:The latest buzz has the term as being 8 years for both.

How many years of RFA vs UFA would the Hawks be buying? That will be a massive factor in the final salary cap number.
Not sure I follow... wouldn't they be UFA after those expire?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Not sure I follow... wouldn't they be UFA after those expire?

Let's say that Toews would have 4 more years as an RFA - then by that rationale, it's assumed that he would be paid less money than if he was to be a UFA at the end of this season.

So the Hawks would buy his years of RFA at, let's say...4 million dollars, so 4 years @ 4 million per year = 16 million.

Then Toews and his agent would ask for an additional 4 years at 8 million dollars per year, so 4 years @ 8 million per year = 32 million.

So, it averages out to 8 years/48 million dollars which would be a cap hit of 6 million, instead of the 7 or 8 that he would have received had they been negotiating this in the final year of his contract where he could have explored the market as a UFA.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hmmm... Towes was 18 when he signed his first SPC, and it was en ELC naturally. He's an RFA after 3 years of NHL pro experience. He's played more than 10 NHL games in each of the 3 years and thus is an RFA at the end of his current contract. Any contract he signs subsequent to this one will end up with him being a UFA. His RFA days are over as his ELC did not slide.

Or am I missing something?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Hmmm... Towes was 18 when he signed his first SPC, and it was en ELC naturally. He's an RFA after 3 years of NHL pro experience. He's played more than 10 NHL games in each of the 3 years and thus is an RFA at the end of his current contract. Any contract he signs subsequent to this one will end up with him being a UFA. His RFA days are over as his ELC did not slide.

Or am I missing something?

Wait, no, this summer when he comes up for re-neg, he would be an RFA, that would mean that he has how many years left as an RFA? I think it would be 4 more after this because an NHLer needs 7 years of NHL experience to graduate from RFA status to the much more lucrative UFA status.

So, that's what I was referring to. If Toews has 4 more years as an RFA, then Chicago would theoretically get a few years at a slightly reduced rate before the price goes up to 7 million - or whatever his agent deems he would be worth IF he was to hit the UFA market after the 4 years.

You know what I mean?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hey guys, lemme know when you've figured this one out.
UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 54934

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Hey guys, lemme know when you've figured this one out.

I did. 4 years of RFA @ 4 million a year, 4 years of UFA @ 8 million a year = 48 million dollars over 8 years = 6 million a year cap hit. Sarcasm

Who knows though really? I think that's what'll work out.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
davetherave wrote:Hey guys, lemme know when you've figured this one out.

I did. 4 years of RFA @ 4 million a year, 4 years of UFA @ 8 million a year = 48 million dollars over 8 years = 6 million a year cap hit. Sarcasm

Who knows though really? I think that's what'll work out.

Wait a minute...that's two contracts.

Don't you have to do one at a time?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Kane and Toews carry on amidst the hubbub...

UPDATE: Toews, Kane sign 5 year deals, Keith signs a 13 year deal - Page 3 Toews_10

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From the Chicago Tribune this morning:

The Blackhawks are set to sign young stars Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews to contract extensions, a source close to the organization confirmed Monday.

The announcement of the signing of the forwards, both restricted free agents after the season, is expected in the next day or two before the team leaves for a 10-day, six-game trip beginning Thursday night in Calgary.

In addition, the Hawks are said to be near an agreement with defenseman
Duncan Keith, and the team could announce all three signings as early as Tuesday.

There has been much speculation that the Hawks would not be able to sign the players because of salary-cap concerns for the 2010-11 season, but general manager Stan Bowman has maintained that deals would be worked out for all three.

"Our goal like I've said from the beginning is to keep the core of our team together, and they're core players," Bowman said before the season. "That's the strength and the way you have to do it in the game today. Evaluate your players, determine who the core players are and keep that group together and fill in around them."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-17-blackhawks-chicago-nov17,0,1592678.story

---

The Blackhawks are following a strategy similar to the Red Wings' and Penguins': sign a core of the most talented players, and fill in the rest of the roster with affordable role players.

Should the new contracts be confirmed as reported , the Hawks' core would look like this at the moment:

Toews, Kane, Hossa

Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson

Huet

According to the reporters closest to the Blackhawks, like Chris Kuc and the Daily Herald's Tim Sassone, the Blackhawks will decide who stays and who goes sometime before compliance with the 2010 salary cap (yet to be determined) goes into effect on October 1st of next year.

Stan Bowman has indicated in previous interviews that the team will evaluate its personnel and that in 2010, new talent may indeed replace some current members of the roster.

It has been specualted the most likely Hawks to be traded in order to free up cap room are Patrick Sharp and Cam Barker. Kris Versteeg has also been mentioned.

The speculation about Brian Campbell continues, but with his NTC and amount on his contract, the list of trading partners will be limited.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum