GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment

+14
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
PKC
LeCaptain
asq2
PTFlea
Jordo
Hobiesens
shabbs
Hoags
mickbud
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

garblar

Rookie
Rookie

up to 11th

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

garblar wrote:up to 11th

This should solidify us as a true contender. TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment - Page 6 226479

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

A challenged chimp could make better rankings than TSN. Explain New Jersey who won exactly one game last week, against...wait for it...the Leafs. But they stay in the top 10. Meanwhile the Sens won 3 more games and move up only two spots. I don't get it...what do those rankings measure exactly...what's this magic formula that chimp came up with that sucks so ridiculously.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I never thought CBS could ever have better analysis of the NHL than a network like TSN, but here you go folks, rankings that make sense"

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/powerrankings

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Oh, geez, I just looked. It's TSN. And there's no excuse since they updated to the 25th. So the Sens win 6 straight and they move up 4 spots. Philly and Habs are both ahead of them. Unbelievable. It's not Toronto Sports Netowrk anymore, it's simply Anyone-but-the-Sens-Sports-Network.

Clutch, can we add a banned word: TSN = ABTSSN?

That's a little harsh. There were years, when we were first in our Division on a regular basis, that we'd sit in first in those rankings for most of the season.

Still think it's harsh after this week's rankings?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Oh, geez, I just looked. It's TSN. And there's no excuse since they updated to the 25th. So the Sens win 6 straight and they move up 4 spots. Philly and Habs are both ahead of them. Unbelievable. It's not Toronto Sports Netowrk anymore, it's simply Anyone-but-the-Sens-Sports-Network.

Clutch, can we add a banned word: TSN = ABTSSN?

That's a little harsh. There were years, when we were first in our Division on a regular basis, that we'd sit in first in those rankings for most of the season.

Still think it's harsh after this week's rankings?

Makes literally zero sense.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don;t get why are you guys wasting your time with this BS anyway.

How do this week's rankings make zero sense? We're 11th on the list and 11th in league standings. Every team ahead of us (on both) have been ahead of us all season long...We also know that they take a whole slew of variables into account. And we know it's not a week-by-week rating. It's a weekly update of the ratings...

The ratings are confusing sometimes and the blatant bias shown on Toronto networks can be annoying, but I think you guys are being a little sensitive on this one.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The ranking is supposed to be the current strength of the team, not the overall standing. The Caps are the hottest team in the league with 10 wins and scoring a ton of goals. The Sens are right behind them with 9 wins and giving up very few goals. Sure, you don't just look at the last 10 games, so I'm not expecting the Sens to be ranked 2nd.

But consider this.

LA goes 8-2 and move up from 14th to 8th. We go 9-1 and move up from 13th to 11th.

Let me get this straight. We start out ahead of LA (13th to 14th), win one more game than they do in the last 10, beating Chicago, Jersey and NYR in the process, and they end up passing us?

The Caps win 10 straight and stay in 3rd, while Chicago goes 6-4 and stays in 2nd?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gohan wrote:How do this week's rankings make zero sense? We're 11th on the list and 11th in league standings. Every team ahead of us (on both) have been ahead of us all season long...We also know that they take a whole slew of variables into account. And we know it's not a week-by-week rating. It's a weekly update of the ratings...

The ratings are confusing sometimes and the blatant bias shown on Toronto networks can be annoying, but I think you guys are being a little sensitive on this one.

LA is ahead of us this week but were behind last week.

You're right, it's not week-by-week, but it's more indicative of the current level ofplay than it is of two months ago. If we wanted just the overall standings, then we could just go here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20092010&type=LEA

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Gohan wrote:How do this week's rankings make zero sense? We're 11th on the list and 11th in league standings. Every team ahead of us (on both) have been ahead of us all season long...We also know that they take a whole slew of variables into account. And we know it's not a week-by-week rating. It's a weekly update of the ratings...

You're right, it's not week-by-week, but it's more indicative of the current level ofplay than it is of two months ago. If we wanted just the overall standings, then we could just go here:

Let alone New Jersey, who had win overtime win last week against the Leafs and have won just twice in regulation in their last dozen games, yet they are still at the top of the rankings.

wprager's right, if we wanted straight league standings, we'd go to nhl.com

wprager wrote:

haha I see your point and it's valid, but that's where the different variables come into play. Also, I don't think TSN has ever stated explicitly that the ratings are intended to be the current strength of the team, neglecting the rest of the season. Ottawa, for instance, is at even when it comes to goals-for vs. goals-against. That would draw them down...likewise for their poor PP % over the season, regardless of the fact that it's been running at a 25+% clip during this run...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How about some love for MY recent installment of Power rankings which reflects the current state of the team based on performance Smile I'd appreciate tips on how to improve the "formula".

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about some love for MY recent installment of Power rankings which reflects the current state of the team based on performance TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment - Page 6 54934 I'd appreciate tips on how to improve the "formula".

happy. TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment - Page 6 159628

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about some love for MY recent installment of Power rankings which reflects the current state of the team based on performance TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment - Page 6 54934 I'd appreciate tips on how to improve the "formula".

happy. TSN Power rankings - Sens get no love in the latest installment - Page 6 159628

Not sure how I can incorporate that into the formula. Cool

- Unknown Author

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Still holding down #11

http://tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=548

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=310333

Caps hold on to top spot. Despite losing 3 in a row. Umm, yeah, that makes sense.

That two of Washington's losses came after 60 minutes (one overtime, one shootout) helped prevent a drop, though of greater importance is the return to action of goaltender Semyon Varlamov, who had been out since the first week of December. Varlamov struggled in his first game back, but is Washington's best option between the pipes.

They are just looking at stats. Varlamov is something like 12-2 so therefore his return is of great importance. Forget the fact that he gave up 6 goals in his first game back (or that his conditioning stint included a secondary injury). Did we get a similar "break" when *our* #1 got back from injury?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=310333

Caps hold on to top spot. Despite losing 3 in a row. Umm, yeah, that makes sense.

That two of Washington's losses came after 60 minutes (one overtime, one shootout) helped prevent a drop, though of greater importance is the return to action of goaltender Semyon Varlamov, who had been out since the first week of December. Varlamov struggled in his first game back, but is Washington's best option between the pipes.

They are just looking at stats. Varlamov is something like 12-2 so therefore his return is of great importance. Forget the fact that he gave up 6 goals in his first game back (or that his conditioning stint included a secondary injury). Did we get a similar "break" when *our* #1 got back from injury?

Can we please petition to have this stupid Diddling thread closed...TSN's "power rankings" are Diddling awful and I'd rather not hear about them anymore.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum