GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll

+12
Hoags
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
shabbs
beerandsens
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
PTFlea
Sens19
Tuk Tuk
spader
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Considering his play thus far, is Neil worth the $2mil?

Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_lcap259%Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 59% [ 20 ]
Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 3 ]
Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_lcap232%Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 32% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 34

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I realize his *main* role is to keep the other teams honest, and to put a little fear in the opposition's top line. He's done that job well so far -- hitting (not necessarily fighting) without taking too many penalties. But that's what you expect from your $1.3-1.5M players, all while they are chipping in 7-10 goals. If that's what Neil does, then he's overpaid.

The only way Neil can be worth $2M is if he plays 3rd line minutes and, perhaps, a little PP time. If he goes back to the 4th line (as I suspect, once Shannon and Winchester are back from injury) then I don't know if he will have enough ice time or good-enough line-mates to do anything better than 5-7 goals and 20-25 points. If he continues to play disciplined hockey, hitting legally and drawing more penalties than he takes, even then I doubt he's worth $2M.

But if he can straighten out Spezza by a well-placed statement punctuated with a slash to the back of the legs, then perhaps he'd be earning his salary and then some.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

You forgot the 0.5M for the community Chris Neil's play so far this season...worth 2 mil? With Poll - Page 3 455378

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I realize his *main* role is to keep the other teams honest, and to put a little fear in the opposition's top line. He's done that job well so far -- hitting (not necessarily fighting) without taking too many penalties. But that's what you expect from your $1.3-1.5M players, all while they are chipping in 7-10 goals. If that's what Neil does, then he's overpaid.

The only way Neil can be worth $2M is if he plays 3rd line minutes and, perhaps, a little PP time. If he goes back to the 4th line (as I suspect, once Shannon and Winchester are back from injury) then I don't know if he will have enough ice time or good-enough line-mates to do anything better than 5-7 goals and 20-25 points. If he continues to play disciplined hockey, hitting legally and drawing more penalties than he takes, even then I doubt he's worth $2M.

But if he can straighten out Spezza by a well-placed statement punctuated with a slash to the back of the legs, then perhaps he'd be earning his salary and then some.

Fantastic...nothing fans of the team want to see more than their overpaid fourth liner potentially injuring their only top level center. Wonderful...why didn't anyone think of that before?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I believe Burke thought of it first. If not him, then Neely for sure.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neil with a goal vs the Habs! You know that irritates a few Habs fans. Still a great signing by Murray IMO.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neil, Alfie and Kovy had the goals... ha ha. You know Habs fans are just dying inside today.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neil's on pace to get 20+ goals. That would be very, very nice. With Carkner in the lineup he can concentrate more on hockey like he did when Grats was here. And, unlike Grats, Carkner is out there one of every three shifts. If he doesn't get injured, he could very well have a career year.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Neil's on pace to get 20+ goals. That would be very, very nice. With Carkner in the lineup he can concentrate more on hockey like he did when Grats was here. And, unlike Grats, Carkner is out there one of every three shifts. If he doesn't get injured, he could very well have a career year.

He is currently sporting a ridiculous 25% shooting percentage and has one less goal than he had through 60 games last year. While I don't expect a 20+ goal season out of him, I think a career year is possible. His best totals thus far are 16/17/33. Playing like this, getting decent ice time, he can probably beat those numbers.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:Neil's on pace to get 20+ goals. That would be very, very nice. With Carkner in the lineup he can concentrate more on hockey like he did when Grats was here. And, unlike Grats, Carkner is out there one of every three shifts. If he doesn't get injured, he could very well have a career year.

He is currently sporting a ridiculous 25% shooting percentage and has one less goal than he had through 60 games last year. While I don't expect a 20+ goal season out of him, I think a career year is possible. His best totals thus far are 16/17/33. Playing like this, getting decent ice time, he can probably beat those numbers.

I wasn't really implying that I thought he'd get 20+, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. For one thing, as already mentioned, he's got Carkner to help him keep his mind on playing. He's gotten back to playing 3rd line and getting decent minutes -- watch for some PP time as well if he keeps playing well; Clouston is that type of coach. As you mentioned, he's got a great shooting percentage -- I mentioned in another post that was a heck of a shot. Lastly, with this new-found depth we actually have a third line (not two 4th lines).

So, yeah, barring injuries, Neil could very well have a career year.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

I wasn't really implying that I thought he'd get 20+, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. For one thing, as already mentioned, he's got Carkner to help him keep his mind on playing. He's gotten back to playing 3rd line and getting decent minutes -- watch for some PP time as well if he keeps playing well; Clouston is that type of coach. As you mentioned, he's got a great shooting percentage -- I mentioned in another post that was a heck of a shot. Lastly, with this new-found depth we actually have a third line (not two 4th lines).

So, yeah, barring injuries, Neil could very well have a career year.

I absolutely agree that it's possible for Neil to score 20+. I don't think it's likely, but definitely possible. I do think he has a good shot at getting close though. As I've said many times, Neil is one of the few scrappers that can really play hockey as well. If he continues the way he's started, I certainly don't think a career year is unlikely.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I am one of the on the fence people, I like what I see of Neil so far and if he keeps it up for the season and doesn't revert to taking dumb penalties, then Neil is definitely worth what he signed for.

I think the dumb penalties are going to be limited because of a combination of Carkner being added and the overall team toughness and chemistry being as good as it has ever been in Ottawa.

If Neil plays like he has been playing and scores 10 and 10 for 20 points he is not only worth it at 2 mil but very well could be a steal. He has enough tallent and toughness to be a difference maker on any given night.

I have ALWAYS liked this signing.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:I think the dumb penalties are going to be limited because of a combination of Carkner being added and the overall team toughness and chemistry being as good as it has ever been in Ottawa.

If Neil plays like he has been playing and scores 10 and 10 for 20 points he is not only worth it at 2 mil but very well could be a steal. He has enough tallent and toughness to be a difference maker on any given night.

well if it ends up being a steal, which I definitely hope for, it's a steal we have for 3 more years and Murray will be a genius for doing this contract up, it was a genius move just to keep a guy like this off the Rangers or Leafs rosters as well.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
N4L wrote:I think the dumb penalties are going to be limited because of a combination of Carkner being added and the overall team toughness and chemistry being as good as it has ever been in Ottawa.

well if it ends up being a steal, which I definitely hope for, it's a steal we have for 3 more years and Murray will be a genius for doing this contract up, it was a genius move just to keep a guy like this off the Rangers or Leafs rosters as well.

If Neil played for Toronto right now, assuming the same stats that he has on the Sens (which is ridiculous, but roll with it here), Neil would be tied for second in points, tied for second in goals, first in hits and second in PIM. Think that's a player that fits Burke's style?

Neil would be bombing in Toronto right now and I think he and everyone else knew he would be too. The perfect fit for Neil is Ottawa in terms of what he brings and in terms of what Ottawa needs. We didnt over pay because we actually paid less then what other teams were willing to offer.

Thank God this guy didnt get traded at the deadline, a 5th round pick vs a chance to resign him was not worth it.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

How much is a third line winger who doesn't play special teams really worth?

Neil has been very good, especially by comparison to previous years. If he can keep up the good play, he will have earned his money, more or less. I hated the amount given to him, but how many bargains do you really get on July 1?

Neil is also one of the most popular players, and is a reason some fans come out to the games. I'd be interested to see how well his jerseys sell in comparison to other Sens.

dennycrane wrote:How much is a third line winger who doesn't play special teams really worth?

Neil has been very good, especially by comparison to previous years. If he can keep up the good play, he will have earned his money, more or less. I hated the amount given to him, but how many bargains do you really get on July 1?

Neil is also one of the most popular players, and is a reason some fans come out to the games. I'd be interested to see how well his jerseys sell in comparison to other Sens.

3rd line winger who can score 10, be put on a strugling PP, will fight anyone in the league, is a good skater who is relentless... prob about 2 mil a year with the expierence he has as well.

His play right now is worth close to 2.5 IMO anyways and no matter what on and off the ice he is a leader and love this city and the team. Couldnt be happier with him.

I think it is a bargin because he had offers for way more than 2 mil a year, we paid less then what he was offered by almost 1 mil a year... would you turn down a million dollars or better yet, 4 million dollars over 4 years. If the answer is yes please punch yourself in the face because I would for sure if I did, hahaha.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Neil would be bombing in Toronto right now and I think he and everyone else knew he would be too. The perfect fit for Neil is Ottawa in terms of what he brings and in terms of what Ottawa needs. We didnt over pay because we actually paid less then what other teams were willing to offer.

Thank God this guy didnt get traded at the deadline, a 5th round pick vs a chance to resign him was not worth it.

agreed fully, we need Chris Neil as much as he needs us at this point, having him and Carkner will be making sure other teams don't take very liberal shots at our captain, see Mark Bell, or one of our other players, see Chris Pronger. Carkner already smacked around Downie, so he can cross him off the list, I don't believe Mark Bell is anywhere to be seen in the NHL, so he might not get that chance, but Pronger is always there with Philly, will Carkner go toe to toe with him? That I am not sure of.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum