GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo

+7
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
shabbs
Jordo
Vandelay
wprager
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

76Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Amnesia021

Rookie
Rookie

N4L wrote:Vandy, you're 100% correct man. If you decide that a hit like that is illegal then hitting is illegal.

Wprager, you can say he left his feet all you want or it was dirty, but taking that hit out of the game means body contact is gone, period.

That is a bit hyperbole don't you think? Are you trying to say that every time there is a hit or body contact the player leaves the ice with both of their feet?

77Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:15 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:Side note. Remember this one?

Edit: okay, I don't know how to embed a video...

[ flash(425,344) ]https://www.youtube.com/v/HgmfsDbJG9s[ /flash ]

I embedded it for you. All you need is the flash tags (like quoted above, but without the spaces inside the square brackets), and you change the URL slightly to replace the "watch?v=" with "v/".

Yeah, I remember that hit. I was actually at the game. They have a rule for that one, though, boarding.

78Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

isnt it alot easier to copy and paste the embed code on every youtube video?

79Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:
wprager wrote:The NFL --as brutal as it is -- has actually done something to cut down on concussions. It may only be helmet-on-helmet hits, but it's something. And, besides, the only part of the equipment that's as hard as NHL players' shoulder/elbow pads is the helmet. Their shoulder pads are big and impressive, but they are designed to soften the fall rather than to inflict damage.

No one is arguing about the equipment in The NHL. Helmets have improved in an enormous way over the last 5-10 years though.

As I said earlier, the helmet is not going to protect the brain from being banged against the inside of the brain cavity. The only thing that would help there is sufficient padding to allow for smooth deceleration. There's a bit of padding inside the helmet, but at best, it will give your head a half inch to slow down. When two players are approaching each other at a combined speed of 30-50 mph, half an inch isn't going to do much to slow you down. The impact will still be there.

Of course the secondary impact (head hitting ice) is often just as bad or worse. All that technology that leads to $150 helmets didn't give us better straps?

80Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tuk Tuk wrote:isnt it alot easier to copy and paste the embed code on every youtube video?

Does that work? It used to, but then one day it stopped (for me, at least). I believe it was the "watch?=v" part that was added which broke it.

If you are saying it works no, heck, I'll start posting more videos Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Icon_smile

Let's try this:

81Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nope, still not working for me. I see the video in the Preview box, but when I hit send it "goes away". And I double-checked, I've got "Allow HTML" set to "Always".

Here's the video I tried to embed int he previous post:

82Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Amnesia021 wrote:
N4L wrote:Vandy, you're 100% correct man. If you decide that a hit like that is illegal then hitting is illegal.

Wprager, you can say he left his feet all you want or it was dirty, but taking that hit out of the game means body contact is gone, period.

That is a bit hyperbole don't you think? Are you trying to say that every time there is a hit or body contact the player leaves the ice with both of their feet?

Gotta take that out of the game. The fans could get hurt.

83Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Works fine for me

87Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Regarding feet leaving the ice. I'm not talking about the guy losing his balance after a hit and falling or stumbling. I didn't think I was arguing with a bunch of lawyers.

88Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Nope, hockey would change a bit. Nice little poke check would be fantastic.

This is all said by people who have never taken a hit like that or given one. It's BS saying that doesnt belong in the game.

89Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

N4L wrote:Here another that's no good.

I only see his feet leaving the ice on the follow through, after the hit. Nothing wrong with that.

90Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 pm

wprager wrote:Regarding feet leaving the ice. I'm not talking about the guy losing his balance after a hit and falling or stumbling. I didn't think I was arguing with a bunch of lawyers.

Well that's how fine of a line it is. So good luck dictating that.

Hockey is 100% the hardest game on the planet to ref as well, now you are asking them to make a split second decsion while the rest of the game is going on, whether he was in the air .01 seconds before he laid the body, or .01 after.

Prager, Im not being rude here, but there is absolutly no logic to what you are saying in anyway in regaurds to how the game is actually played, none.

91Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Wait, Tuk, are you using IE? I'm using Firefox (and, for the record, I'd rather enter flash tags manually than go back to IE).

I'm on Firefox

92Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And all I am saying is that they *did* do something about it in the OHL, which means it can be done without ruining the integrity of the game. The NHL, though, cares more about the sensational aspect of having a body carried off the ice on a stretcher and the revenues it brings, then about the health of the players.

93Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 6 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:50 pm

wprager wrote:And all I am saying is that they *did* do something about it in the OHL, which means it can be done without ruining the integrity of the game. The NHL, though, cares more about the sensational aspect of having a body carried off the ice on a stretcher and the revenues it brings, then about the health of the players.

It's not even close to the same game in the OHL. These are KIDS playing in the OHL vs men in the NHL. It's like saying the NHL should be run like Midget AAA. There is no logic there either.

The game has changed a bit in the OHL just so you know. Not even close to as physical and it has effected certain type of players in the game.

Also, thats a crock saying the NHL cares about people getting laid out and being taken off on a stretcher. It's a risk they take, no one likes seeing it, football guys go off on a stretcher but no one is saying take hitting out of the game. ITS PART OF THE GAME! YES, PEOPLE GETTING TAKEN OUT ON STRETCHERS IS PART OF THE GAME. Everyone knows it can happen to them... except Okposo apparently.

Last edited by N4L on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum