GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo

+7
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
shabbs
Jordo
Vandelay
wprager
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

16Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:50 am

Well put it this way Vandy, if someone has a gun to my head asking for my wallet, I'm gonna give it to them not keep possesion of my wallet. Let it go, it's a pre season game (which makes it dumber then it was) on really a no chance play, get it in deep if you are worried about a turn over, you had basically 3 or 4 guys there checking you. I can't watch that video and not want to call Okposo' a challenged.

17Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 am

All that said, if that hit ever becomes illegal, you might as well just play shinny, that's all hockey would be. I would actually stop watching because it would be a totally different game. That's like saying you cant pop a reciever in football with his back turned.

18Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 am

The hit was a bit predatory but legal. Not really necessary in a preseason game IMO. Phaneuf is not trying to earn a spot. Everyone is a bit rusty and there has not been a lot of ice time given the shortened preseason. The teams are even in different conferences, so there is no rivalry. I don't get the thought process.

All said it was legal but I wouldn't say classy on Phaneuf's part. That is certainly one you could pass up. I know I would be tapping someone one the shoulder if I was coaching the Isles and not the douche who fell over like no-one sharpened his skates.

19Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

for both players though, hockey is a game involving high amounts of adrenaline. In the moment, we often lose our perspective...i've done it in shinny games, it happens in nhl games. Okposos should have been made decisions but hey, he wants to step up, make a play.

Edit: and Phaneuf, the same. The adrenaline rush of lining someone up, catching them with their head down would easily be enough for him to not be rationally thinking over the situation and waying the pros and cons- preseasong game, yada yada yada.

Last edited by Vandelay on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

20Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 am

Vandelay wrote:for both players though, hockey is a game involving high amounts of adrenalin. In the moment, we often lose our perspective...i've done it in shinny games, it happens in nhl games. Okposos should have been made better decisions but hey, he wants to step up, make a play.

I'm more copncerned with the player from the NYI that jumped off the bench to fight phaneuf....

21Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 am

Vandelay wrote:for both players though, hockey is a game involving high amounts of adrenalin. In the moment, we often lose our perspective...i've done it in shinny games, it happens in nhl games. Okposos should have been made better decisions but hey, he wants to step up, make a play.

I hear what you are saying but when Phaneuf makes his first move in that direction, he knows he is going to level the guy. He is one of the best hitters in the game. (and I LOVE hitting). But this was not smart IMO. You make this hit everytime in the regular season and dream of them in the post season. But second preseason game... stupid, unnecessary, especially when it is a nothing game for Phaneuf. He is one of their top defencemen. Silly and I would be pissed if I was a member of the Isles organization.

22Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:20 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

MurderOnIce wrote:The hit was a bit predatory but legal. Not really necessary in a preseason game IMO. Phaneuf is not trying to earn a spot. Everyone is a bit rusty and there has not been a lot of ice time given the shortened preseason. The teams are even in different conferences, so there is no rivalry. I don't get the thought process.

All said it was legal but I wouldn't say classy on Phaneuf's part. That is certainly one you could pass up. I know I would be tapping someone one the shoulder if I was coaching the Isles and not the douche who fell over like no-one sharpened his skates.

Great line, but your post fell apart after that.
Sure, it's just preseason, but does that mean that you half Donkey yourself around the ice? I LOVED how Dion saw the situation, took a few strides and just popped him. Phaneuf is going to be insane under Sutter- I really like where Calgary is going this year.

Like Neely said- Okposo should know better. 1) don't cut into the middle with your head down, 2) NEVER blindly reach for the puck, and 3) know where big dogs like that are when you're on the ice.

If you don't follow those rules, it's relative to doing a cannonball blindfolded with a bloody nose into a pack of sharks. Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 812636

23Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am

MurderOnIce wrote:The hit was a bit predatory but legal. Not really necessary in a preseason game IMO. Phaneuf is not trying to earn a spot. Everyone is a bit rusty and there has not been a lot of ice time given the shortened preseason. The teams are even in different conferences, so there is no rivalry. I don't get the thought process.

That's totally fine as well. I would going after someone as well, and I have. But I look for their star player as well and wash his face with my shoulder. That's how you get back at the other team. Tit for tat.

There is no way I would have passed up on that kid, no shot. To be honest, I liked laying a guy out like that more then scoring a goal.

24Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:
wprager wrote:He wasn't actually reaching for the puck, and he wasn't really cutting through the middle. Phaneuf had to come way over to his left, almost colliding with his defense partner. Okposo barely made it to the lettering outside the center ice logo.

Anyhow, neither one of us is going to convince the other.

Have to have actually played the game to appriciate it, on both ends. I've had my head taken off, it's not pleasent. I was an idiot for cutting through the middle though on a 6'3, 200lb D man.

If you want hitting out of the game, then take it out, but that was 100% legal, appropriate, and simply put, a good hockey play on Phaneufs part.

In all seriousness, there wasnt anythng about that hit that was not avoidable on Okposo's end. Honestly, with his Helmet being as loose as it was and him having that sense of invincability, Okposo's lucky he isnt dead from his head bouncing off the ice. A concussion sucks but maybe he will learn. Just stupid and I'm sure his coach and everyone around is going to tell him that.

What moron cuts through the ice on Phanuef in Calgary... If I jump off a 20 story building there's a chance I'm gonna live but I would probably bet against it.

I'll take that bet!

25Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:40 am

Jordo wrote:

Sure, it's just preseason, but does that mean that you half Donkey yourself around the ice? I LOVED how Dion saw the situation, took a few strides and just popped him. Phaneuf is going to be insane under Sutter- I really like where Calgary is going this year.

Like Neely said- Okposo should know better. 1) don't cut into the middle with your head down, 2) NEVER blindly reach for the puck, and 3) know where big dogs like that are when you're on the ice.

If you don't follow those rules, it's relative to doing a cannonball blindfolded with a bloody nose into a pack of sharks. Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 812636

We can agree to disagree... but this is similar tone to Downey's hit on MacAmmond. Same thing just a different spot on the ice. And Downey was trying to make the club. ...and I hate Downey.

26Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:
wprager wrote:He wasn't actually reaching for the puck, and he wasn't really cutting through the middle. Phaneuf had to come way over to his left, almost colliding with his defense partner. Okposo barely made it to the lettering outside the center ice logo.

Anyhow, neither one of us is going to convince the other.

. i'm not sure what the rule is exactly.. when I slowed it down he had his left skate slight off the ground and use the right one to push off into the Islander.. no sure if that constitutes leaving the ice.

He was driving through his man with his shoulder. That's basically "body contact 101". You are taught how to do that along the boards from the time you're 10 or 11.

Look, I am not blaming Phaneuf because what he did -- you are 100% right -- is taught to him since peewee (if not earlier).

But just because something is taught doesn't mean it does not deserve to be removed. Foil on the knuckles was taught as well, right?

The players have changed (bigger, faster but with the same size rink); the equipment has changed (mandatory helmets, nearly universal visors, hard-as-cement shoulder and elbow pads). A helmet is not going to protect you from getting a concussion because it does not soften the blow on th einside of the head (and, true, some players probably have more wiggle room inside the cranium, making them more susceptible to concussions). Wearing a helmet properly, for sure, I'd back that rule change. There's no reason a chin strap needs to be as long as my shoelaces.

I am not suggesting to take hitting out of the game. I love big hits. NFL football is one of the most brutal leagues for hits, yet they did away with blows to the head.

27Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:
Ya, I've gotta agree with N4L on this one. If we take your suggestion, you're basically removing body contact from hockey. Penalizing players if their feet leave the ice after a hit means it's now become non body contact hockey. Non body contact usually still has a little nudging and contact along the boards but that's about it because anything more is a penalty...which is basically what you're advocating. Anything heavier than that and you run the risk of your skates leaving the ice due to a slight loss of balance after the hit.

Not sure I would say it was Okposo's fault. He was in a compromising position because he wanted puck pocession and just got nudged by the back checker. Not really anyone's fault. Just a good clean, open ice hockey hit. That said, as was the case with Scott Stevens, you have to know who's on the ice and be prepared for that big hit at all times.

Sorry, Vandelay, but I've got to call a huge BS on that bolded part.

28Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

[quote="MurderOnIceWe can agree to disagree... but this is similar tone to Downey's hit on MacAmmond. Same thing just a different spot on the ice. And Downey was trying to make the club. ...and I hate Downey.[/quote]

No way...not even the same ball park (IMO). Phaneuf just crossed over, glided in and layed his shoulder into him squarely. I don't see how anyone can argue over whether or not this hit is illegal. The only issue is that it was preseason and not really neccessary. Downey's hit on Macammond wasn't anything like that. You could see his eyes go read from outside the blue line and then he bee-lined it to the left post where Mac was coming around.

29Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 am

MurderOnIce wrote:
Jordo wrote:

We can agree to disagree... but this is similar tone to Downey's hit on MacAmmond. Same thing just a different spot on the ice. And Downey was trying to make the club. ...and I hate Downey.

Downie left his man to make the hit and it was totally unsuspected. Phaneuf was in postion and laid him out. Downie also jumped and left his feet for sure. This was like Alfi getting hammered IMO. Clean, but Bell was wearing a cage.

30Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 am

Phaneuf was playing the right point and crossed the ice, to play a man already covered by the left D and the back checking forward. Point?!

31Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am

N4L wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Downie left his man to make the hit and it was totally unsuspected. Phaneuf was in postion and laid him out. Downie also jumped and left his feet for sure. This was like Alfi getting hammered IMO. Clean, but Bell was wearing a cage.

Bell lead with elbow and was coming from behind (that's what she said)... I don't see it as the same as the phaneuf hit...

[

32Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Plus Bell hit a player that's near and dear to our hearts, where's most of us don't even know how to spell Okposo. Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 455378

33Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo - Page 2 Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
Ya, I've gotta agree with N4L on this one. If we take your suggestion, you're basically removing body contact from hockey. Penalizing players if their feet leave the ice after a hit means it's now become non body contact hockey. Non body contact usually still has a little nudging and contact along the boards but that's about it because anything more is a penalty...which is basically what you're advocating. Anything heavier than that and you run the risk of your skates leaving the ice due to a slight loss of balance after the hit.

Not sure I would say it was Okposo's fault. He was in a compromising position because he wanted puck pocession and just got nudged by the back checker. Not really anyone's fault. Just a good clean, open ice hockey hit. That said, as was the case with Scott Stevens, you have to know who's on the ice and be prepared for that big hit at all times.

Sorry, Vandelay, but I've got to call a huge BS on that bolded part.

Hahaha...okay, fair enough. Would you care to elaborate?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum