GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo

+7
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
shabbs
Jordo
Vandelay
wprager
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Massive hit in pre-season last night.

2Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I like big hits - I cannot lie - but Phaneuf jumped a bit on that one. Don't like that. Plus the other Flames player back-checking pushed Okposo off-balance and into the hit.

Any penalties on that other than the instigator to Morency and the fighting majors?

3Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 am

When he made contact with Okposso at least one of his skates was flat against the ice. If you're being backchecked like that, being tied up, it's on you ti get rid of the puck, ESPECIALLY cutting through the middle when Phaneuf is on the ice... what the hell was he thinking.

That was about as clean as you get, Okposso is a challenged for doing that. 100% his fault. Ive watched that 10 times now and really question Okposso's general IQ.

Even if Phanuef isnt out there, there are guys on the ice trying to make the team who will not only be trying to take your head off, they will probably eat your heart for a roster spot. (Not even kidding). He's an NHLer who has already made the team, playing against guys on tryouts and 2 way contracts.... Im actually mad he is that stupid. Good for Phanuef.

4Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:40 am

You know what, I wish he got hit harder to be honest. His Helmet came flying off too, if you're that stupid might wanna protect w/e part of your brain is actually working.

5Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Saying it's 100% his fault is just, well -- challenged (and I didn't rely on the word filter to help me on that one). Sorry, Neely, the "leaving his feet" part has nothing to do with where the guy is at the time of the hit.

If you leave the ice and are simply flying through the air, you won't hit as hard as you would if your feet are planted on the ice. It's just physics. What makes the hit harder is if you squat before the hit and then spring up, driving your shoulder up into the chin. Not only is there the combined speeds of the two players coming together, but also no chance of slowing down as you drive up.

The follow through on such hits is what makes your feet leave the ice.

Also Okposo wasn't stupid, he had two players checking him. Are you saying that when you've got two players on you you should just get rid of the puck? Tell that to Alfie when he went through three Sabres to score that goal. Plus he was still on his side of center, so dumping it in would have been an icing.

It was a legal hit when applying *bad* rules. Take hard shoulder/elbow pads out of the game -- they are not necessary to protect the wearer, and only ensure more damage to the others. Penalize players when their feet leave the ice (both feet) after a hit. Make it illegal -- intentional or otherwise -- for the initial contact to be shoulder/elbow on head. That would make hits like Neil's on Drury still legal (initial point of contact was shoulder to shoulder).

6Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:11 am

Believe me, I've dont that to a few guys when I played, that's what I did. If Phaneuf was my size there, Okposso's chest would have been caved in.

I 100% blame Okposso for 1, not knowing Phaneuf was on the ice. 2, cutting through basically the middle of the ice with his head down, reaching for the puck with a back checker. There is giving up on a play and then there is saving your life. 3, his helmet came flying off like it wasnt even strapped on, he's lucky he isnt dead to be honest.

When you follow through on a hit, you leave the ice, it's nearly impossible to stay on your feet when you drive through the guy.

I've been hit like that and more often then that, I hit guys like that. Don't blame Phaneuf for doing exactly what he is paid to do, why do you think guys like Lindros careers were shortend? Because of over confidence and just general stupidity on the ice.

I've looked at that again, and again, Okposso is 100% at fault there. Take it up the boards or just let it go, everything about that hit was 100% avoidable.

7Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He wasn't actually reaching for the puck, and he wasn't really cutting through the middle. Phaneuf had to come way over to his left, almost colliding with his defense partner. Okposo barely made it to the lettering outside the center ice logo.

Anyhow, neither one of us is going to convince the other.

8Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:20 am

wprager wrote:He wasn't actually reaching for the puck, and he wasn't really cutting through the middle. Phaneuf had to come way over to his left, almost colliding with his defense partner. Okposo barely made it to the lettering outside the center ice logo.

. i'm not sure what the rule is exactly.. when I slowed it down he had his left skate slight off the ground and use the right one to push off into the Islander.. no sure if that constitutes leaving the ice.

9Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am

wprager wrote:He wasn't actually reaching for the puck, and he wasn't really cutting through the middle. Phaneuf had to come way over to his left, almost colliding with his defense partner. Okposo barely made it to the lettering outside the center ice logo.

Have to have actually played the game to appriciate it, on both ends. I've had my head taken off, it's not pleasent. I was an idiot for cutting through the middle though on a 6'3, 200lb D man.

If you want hitting out of the game, then take it out, but that was 100% legal, appropriate, and simply put, a good hockey play on Phaneufs part.

In all seriousness, there wasnt anythng about that hit that was not avoidable on Okposo's end. Honestly, with his Helmet being as loose as it was and him having that sense of invincability, Okposo's lucky he isnt dead from his head bouncing off the ice. A concussion sucks but maybe he will learn. Just stupid and I'm sure his coach and everyone around is going to tell him that.

What moron cuts through the ice on Phanuef in Calgary... If I jump off a 20 story building there's a chance I'm gonna live but I would probably bet against it.

10Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:23 am

DirtyDave wrote:

. i'm not sure what the rule is exactly.. when I slowed it down he had his left skate slight off the ground and use the right one to push off into the Islander.. no sure if that constitutes leaving the ice.

He was driving through his man with his shoulder. That's basically "body contact 101". You are taught how to do that along the boards from the time you're 10 or 11.

11Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:27 am

I watched it again and I just dont get how he doesnt even try to protect himself. It's friggin Phaneuf, ignorance is not a good thing when you're on the ice, that's for sure.

12Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:Saying it's 100% his fault is just, well -- challenged (and I didn't rely on the word filter to help me on that one). Sorry, Neely, the "leaving his feet" part has nothing to do with where the guy is at the time of the hit.

If you leave the ice and are simply flying through the air, you won't hit as hard as you would if your feet are planted on the ice. It's just physics. What makes the hit harder is if you squat before the hit and then spring up, driving your shoulder up into the chin. Not only is there the combined speeds of the two players coming together, but also no chance of slowing down as you drive up.

The follow through on such hits is what makes your feet leave the ice.

Also Okposo wasn't stupid, he had two players checking him. Are you saying that when you've got two players on you you should just get rid of the puck? Tell that to Alfie when he went through three Sabres to score that goal. Plus he was still on his side of center, so dumping it in would have been an icing.

It was a legal hit when applying *bad* rules. Take hard shoulder/elbow pads out of the game -- they are not necessary to protect the wearer, and only ensure more damage to the others. Penalize players when their feet leave the ice (both feet) after a hit. Make it illegal -- intentional or otherwise -- for the initial contact to be shoulder/elbow on head. That would make hits like Neil's on Drury still legal (initial point of contact was shoulder to shoulder).

Ya, I've gotta agree with N4L on this one. If we take your suggestion, you're basically removing body contact from hockey. Penalizing players if their feet leave the ice after a hit means it's now become non body contact hockey. Non body contact usually still has a little nudging and contact along the boards but that's about it because anything more is a penalty...which is basically what you're advocating. Anything heavier than that and you run the risk of your skates leaving the ice due to a slight loss of balance after the hit.

Not sure I would say it was Okposo's fault. He was in a compromising position because he wanted puck pocession and just got nudged by the back checker. Not really anyone's fault. Just a good clean, open ice hockey hit. That said, as was the case with Scott Stevens, you have to know who's on the ice and be prepared for that big hit at all times.

13Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:50 am

Well put it this way Vandy, if someone has a gun to my head asking for my wallet, I'm gonna give it to them not keep possesion of my wallet. Let it go, it's a pre season game (which makes it dumber then it was) on really a no chance play, get it in deep if you are worried about a turn over, you had basically 3 or 4 guys there checking you. I can't watch that video and not want to call Okposo' a challenged.

14Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 am

All that said, if that hit ever becomes illegal, you might as well just play shinny, that's all hockey would be. I would actually stop watching because it would be a totally different game. That's like saying you cant pop a reciever in football with his back turned.

15Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Empty Re: Phaneuf steamrolls Okposo Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 am

The hit was a bit predatory but legal. Not really necessary in a preseason game IMO. Phaneuf is not trying to earn a spot. Everyone is a bit rusty and there has not been a lot of ice time given the shortened preseason. The teams are even in different conferences, so there is no rivalry. I don't get the thought process.

All said it was legal but I wouldn't say classy on Phaneuf's part. That is certainly one you could pass up. I know I would be tapping someone one the shoulder if I was coaching the Isles and not the douche who fell over like no-one sharpened his skates.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum