GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues

+8
PTFlea
TheAvatar
jawal
davetherave
Acrobat
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:So how does this reconcile with the other piece I showed, the one that suggested Chelios was supporting Kelly?

Ask Tim Pinocchio. The DTRed DTRs the DTRer... cool)

A whole lotta DTRin goin' on... :^^^^:

As usual, the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys' depend on who's reporting on whom...there are probably a whole bunch of versions of this story about who supports who.

Comrade Prager will have his hands full reconciling these; but we have faith in his persistence.
Wink

Bottom line, folks, enjoy this season. There might just be another players' strike in the not too distant future.

Hopefully there is no strike and season lost a lot of the smaller revenue teams cannot afford to lose the fan base. some fans are fickle and a lockout could lose a lot of fans

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

Ian Penny has been Named Interim Exec Director by the NHLPA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289459

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let the interview process begin...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Let the interview process begin...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

HB blogger Shawn Gates (whose site HockeyDen.com specializes in hockey memorabilia) has put together an interesting compilation of background articles on the Paul Kelly firing.

He lays out a strong case that Kelly was ousted by the people who wanted the job in the first place, Ron Pink, aided and abetted by Buzz Hargrove and Eric Lindros.

An excerpt:

Not only were Kelly and his colleague, former NHL goalie, Glen Healy educating the membership on the pros and cons of their current contract, they were giving them a chance to speak out on the issues both in person and via secret ballot. Seems pretty open to me. Never mind that the players had, and still have for the immediate future anyhow, the ability to have Kelly’s ear via Glen Healy, who has never been one to shy away from speaking about the concerns of the players and as a result I doubt would hold anything back from Kelly, and I’d have to argue that he was actively seeking out opinions from the players and making sure they had a conduit for reaching him.

Gates supports his view with archived articles by respected hockey writers Pierre Lebrun and Ken Campbell, as well as a timeline of events leading up to Kelly's abrupt dismissal.

Lebrun's article, included by Gates in his extensive piece, cites the positive response by several players' agents when Kelly had originally been appointed:

"I think he strikes a proper balance between the past two regimes of the NHLPA," said agent Matt Keator, whose clients include Zdeno Chara and Chris Higgins. "He's very communicative, he's very bright, he's engaging on every single topic. I think he's the right guy at the right time to lead us forward. I think he's going to do a great job."

(Pat) Brisson, whose long list of clients is topped by Penguins star Sidney Crosby, was impressed by Kelly's composure.

"He comes in here the first day and it feels like he's been there for years," said Brisson. "He's very humble about his position and he's very experienced. He listens, he's done his homework the last couple of months. He's asked the right questions. It's a breath of fresh air, for sure."

Interesting reading.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Shawn-Gates/Power-in-the-NHLPA-Part-1-What-Reportedly-Led-To-Paul-Kellys-Firing/67/22741

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN's coverage this morning seemed to suggest there were "serious issues" that had been raised with regards to Kelly's conduct and that he was pressing hard to get rid of Ron Pink, who had a very loyal following.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs>like everything else in the hockey newsworld, the spin depends on who you read...
Ahhhhh!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Indeed.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So... who's gonna want to take this job after they've burned through 3 guys in 5 years?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/09/01/Kelly-Damphousse-0/

Damphousse had some suggestions...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I could care less. The guy I don't want in charge still is.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues - Page 4 Garybettman

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs>nicely done!

Yeah, always thought Kevin Spacey or Stanley Tucci would be right to play The Bett Man. Who plays JimBal?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another NHLPA guy resigns.

Bob Lindquist, an HRR (Hockey-Related Revenue) accounting consultant
who was considered by some as the leading financial mind at the union,
resigned from his post. Lindquist was a loyal Kelly colleague.
"With
Paul no longer there, it was best that I move on and that the NHLPA
become a former client," Lindquist told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4437496&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

When people resign it's not good. When good people resign it's worse.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Shabbs>nicely done!

Yeah, always thought Kevin Spacey or Stanley Tucci would be right to play The Bett Man. Who plays JimBal?
Why, Dr. Evil of course...

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues - Page 4 Dr-evil

Laughing3

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Another NHLPA guy resigns.

Bob Lindquist, an HRR (Hockey-Related Revenue) accounting consultant who was considered by some as the leading financial mind at the union, resigned from his post. Lindquist was a loyal Kelly colleague. "With Paul no longer there, it was best that I move on and that the NHLPA become a former client," Lindquist told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4437496&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

When people resign it's not good. When good people resign it's worse.
Yikes. This does not bode well...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Allan Muir's article at Sports Illustrated/SI.com this morning:

The truth is, as a group, the players are far more interested in playing the game than in having their lawyers beat up the league's lawyers. The anti-Kelly cabal shouldn't mistake a silence bred by disinterest in PA matters for a mandate to pursue this course.

Whoever takes the reins has to do more than convince guys like Henrik Zetterberg, Roberto Luongo and Vincent Lecavalier to give up another year or more of their careers to fight another quixotic battle. He'll also have to win over the legion of third- and fourth-liners who've learned how easily replaceable they are.

As one former PA rep said Tuesday morning, "Whoever it is, I think he'll have a lot tougher sell next time around."

The player, who said he'd yet to hear from his team's current rep about the grounds for dismissal, wondered about the quality of candidates that would be offered as Kelly's replacement.

"I don't even know who'd want the job at this point," he continued.

"Who'd feel safe when everyone always has their knives out?"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/09/01/paul.kelly.nhlpa/index.html?eref=nhlg#ixzz0PxJ3BoPs

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

The Talking Head was on Team 1200 this morning and made a valid point - the last lost season was a lockout. Fans were pissed, but could at least understand (to a certain extent) the idea that the owners wanted a degree of cost certainty.

This time, it's looking to be more likely to be a strike, and fans are less likely to accept that - most don't take too well to the image/thought of highly paid athletes "whining" that they aren't getting even more money.

When the average fan has to work for almost two years to earn what players like Heatley earn per game, any sort of player-initiated action is likely to have a devastating impact on long-term fan support.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I see "the mouth" Roenick has come out and been critical of the process that removed Kelly...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289964

Also of interest is a comment by Alfredsson in there saying he had confidence in the process...

"I have confidence in the executive committee that they're doing the right thing for us," said Alfredsson on Friday. "Hopefully this is something we'll look back on and be happy about the decision that we made.

I guess only time will tell if it was the right move.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum