GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

And it continues to get worse for the NHL

+3
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
22_4_ever
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1And it continues to get worse for the NHL Empty And it continues to get worse for the NHL Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

First Phoenix...and it continues...

Then NYI Islanders and it continues...

Atlanta moved quite quickly.

Florida is in trouble, and now it appears that the Devils may be forced to file for bankruptcy (the article hints it may have happened) and if that's true the NHL could have a huge issue on it's hand. Yes the move to Newark was a mess, but with the Nets apparently not returning next year (although I'm still not sure about that statement) as they may be moving elsewhere to play their games, the devils could be the next one to be sold and moved. With the NHL already owning Phoenix, they can't afford to take over another team.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/devils_in_the_red_Mi3p63lfff0OCTWRIdroxH

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Quebec City, Halifax, Hamilton, Sasketoon, Las Vegas, Kansas City etc....

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

as SSF says:

more to come

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:as SSF says:

more to come

Precisely.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Not mid season though, that's the issue for the NHL if bankruptcy comes into it. Who wants to keep the team in a place with the 25th worst attendance. I don't doubt they can move them, and seeing as the divisions are likely to get shifted around next year anyway because of Winnipeg it may have an effect on other teams getting moved.

Just my thoughts, but if they have to reorg because of 1 team, they might take that opportunity to move a couple of other dead franchises.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Meanwhile Quebec City council approved the deal with Quebecor for an arena to be completed by 2015 (still needs the feds or the provincial government to kick in some $$ I think). The Colisée Pepsi (I'm not making it up -- that's what they call it now) seats a little over 15K, which is more than enough to support better crowds than any of the above-mentioned teams attract. And they would sell full-priced tickets.

So, I think strictly from a financial perspective, the NHL could move to Quebec right away, without having to wait for the new arena to open up.

And if there are still two more teams in trouble, how long can the NHL continue to be ruled by those Pension Plan Puppets and not be able to put a second team in the GTA?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The market always corrects itself. Canada will have 8-10 teams within the next 10 years.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Meanwhile Quebec City council approved the deal with Quebecor for an arena to be completed by 2015 (still needs the feds or the provincial government to kick in some $$ I think). The Colisée Pepsi (I'm not making it up -- that's what they call it now) seats a little over 15K, which is more than enough to support better crowds than any of the above-mentioned teams attract. And they would sell full-priced tickets.

So, I think strictly from a financial perspective, the NHL could move to Quebec right away, without having to wait for the new arena to open up.

I believe the Quebec Ramparts use that arena so it's not that simple to just move an NHL team there. Just like in Winnipeg they'd have to move like the Moose did.

I imagine it'd cost money to upgrade the amenities at the area as well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:Meanwhile Quebec City council approved the deal with Quebecor for an arena to be completed by 2015 (still needs the feds or the provincial government to kick in some $$ I think). The Colisée Pepsi (I'm not making it up -- that's what they call it now) seats a little over 15K, which is more than enough to support better crowds than any of the above-mentioned teams attract. And they would sell full-priced tickets.

I believe the Quebec Ramparts use that arena so it's not that simple to just move an NHL team there. Just like in Winnipeg they'd have to move like the Moose did.

I imagine it'd cost money to upgrade the amenities at the area as well.

Is Patrick Roy really that tough?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Is Patrick Roy really that tough?

Well he has two Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears ....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm sorry to say this, but this isn't a problem for the NHL, it's an opportunity to put these franchises in new, vibrant cities. QC is obviously the first place I thought of, but there's others. Florida, Long Island, Phoenix...your days are numbered.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum