GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators placed on NHL watch list - the story continues

+12
spader
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
sandysensfan
LeCaptain
Hoags
tim1_2
PTFlea
SensHulk
Ev
NEELY
wprager
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 15]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, so for now it's just Yost.  He says his source has given him info on how the league has been increasingly worried about what's happening in Ottawa, and afraid that they could have another situation like New Jersey.  Also claims that they had put the franchise on a watch list.  To his credit, Yost says that he hasn't been able to corroborate the story from another source.  

Now his latest tweet:

Travis Yost ‏@TravisHeHateMe
Little birdie tells me local newspaper is dropping a nuke on Ottawa/ownership's financial mess this weekend.
Here is his original blog:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53381#.Ug5Sl23y2KZ

Feel free to go read the full thing, but here's a couple of excerpts from his source":

"The league is upset with the team, really in the last twelve or eighteen months. The debt has been escalating .. they're worried about the debt and the lenders. There's a fear the organization will be unable to make interest payments at some point, capitalizing the interest. I think they see what happened with Vanderbeek and would like to avoid that at all costs.
According to the source the league has tried to push Melnyk into seeking other investors:

"One thing I can say with absolute confidence is that the league has regularly encouraged Eugene Melnyk to take on investors. And that's still the case. The recommendation to sell a majority stake to [REDACTED] [REDACTED] has been there for some time. He can still retain control, but he's [Melnyk] never been interested in doing that. They could pump some money in, maybe trigger another refinance. But the league is really growing restless with it.
Did they bill the league for a new zamboni or something?

"It was this year when things really escalated with the NHL keeping a careful eye of ownership and the dollars-in, dollars-out. The team was expensing anything and everything to the league. And the league bit the bullet, stepped in and paid into it, because they're really worried about any missed payments. And they couldn't deal with another immediate disaster with Phoenix and New Jersey cooking.

Anyhow, nothing had been substantiated, so I paid little attention to it -- especially since this was not in any reputable source (not that I'm calling Yost disreputable).  But now I'm really curious.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I didn't read one fact in that entire waste of 2 mins.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Confirmation:

James Gordon ‏@SensReporter

If the Senators' financial situation is of interest to you, you're gonna want to pick up the Saturday Citizen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gordon is the Citizen's Sports Editor. So glad it's not the Sun that's running with this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I didn't read one fact in that entire waste of 2 mins.
If you believe his source is bogus, yes. But from the sound of it I don't think Yost is lying -- whatever his source is, whether it's legitimate or not, Yost is not lying about having a source and what the source is saying.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, who's buying a Citizen tomorrow?

I'm driving my kid up to Lake Simcoe for a week at a summer camp. Looks like I'll have some stuff to listen to on the radio, even if it ends up having to be the Montreal or Toronto station.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah well people use the bible as a source too and I don't but that either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I only believe news from Garrioch

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Yost has made some ties with the citizen writers, so I wouldn't be surprised if his source was actually was the citizen itself. i'll wait till saturday to read it.

btw, I HATE YOST

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm beginning to full on hate Yost, but if the Citizen runs this story...look out. Hopefully melnyk does the right thing and sells to a powerful ottawaonian.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boy. The more I read thd worse this sounds. I don't want to lose Ryan or Spezza because of this. Or both.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They aren't going to lose Ryan and Spezza, Jesus. They will lose the team before they lose their best players. Maybe Melnyk has to sell team because of his personal finances but it has nothing to do with the viability of the Sens as a hockey team or playing in the city of Ottawa.

People just love drama. Even the Devils got sold. Ownership changes all the time in professional sports.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm beginning to full on hate Yost, but if the Citizen runs this story...look out.  Hopefully melnyk does the right thing and sells to a powerful ottawaonian.
Why do you hate Yost? He's limited in his abilities but he's tenacious and it looks like he uncovered enough for someone with better support to do this justice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:They aren't going to lose Ryan and Spezza, Jesus.  They will lose the team before they lose their best players.  Maybe Melnyk has to sell team because of his personal finances but it has nothing to do with the viability of the Sens as a hockey team or playing in the city of Ottawa.  

People just love drama.  Even the Devils got sold.  Ownership changes all the time in professional sports.
Of course not. Spezza and Ryan are not going to bolt if the money's still good. Ottawa is a good market and the team is turning an operational profit. But it appears it was leveraged to the hilt. With prime at 1% and the debt service at over 10% a very simple solution would be to re-finance. But I doubt that Melnyk would be able to get that kind of loan from a bank. Another owner, maybe could.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I want ownership to change. We'd have Alfie and Ryan right now if he'd Diddle off and sell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 15]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum