GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eli Wilson's getting a bad (worse) name???

+4
Flo The Action
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Eli Wilson's getting a bad (worse) name??? Empty Eli Wilson's getting a bad (worse) name??? Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:46 am

This is not a good review of his latest Goalie Camp held in Ottawa.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doctor-ice/86283-review-eli-wilson-goalie-camp-world-pro-goaltending.html

I really wish we had another Goalie Coach. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't put too much stock in that to be honest. He's part of World Pro I believe, and is a very respected goalie coach (current Vezina winner Tim Thomas amongst others).

No worries, let Murray deal with it if he feels Eli isn't good enough.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Dude, it's just one person's opinion. Do you really think he would get that many NHL goalies to teach if he wasn't good?

To be honest, as I have posted before, Eli is not a great coach IMO. At the Sens coaching session his philosophy was 'play Big' and that was about as much insight as he could provide. I was NOT impressed at all.

Additionally as the goalie coach of record in Ottawa his pupils results have been poor...

Emery bought out
Gerber bought out
Auld started of like gangbusters and then declined once he was 'coached'
Elliot has looked good so far but has only been around for a 6 month period

Record like that normally gets you fired. Unfortunately Toronto went and got the best in the business.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Well, Tim Thomas looks pretty good out there...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thomas doesn't get to see Eli on a daily basis. Maybe "Play Big" works better in smaller doses.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i've wondered for a while why eli has been able to retain his job thru the changes in past year? maybe there's something we don't know? i'd love to know, but i think we could do better.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:i've wondered for a while why eli has been able to retain his job thru the changes in past year? maybe there's something we don't know? i'd love to know, but i think we could do better.

Because he has the goods on the dressing room problems. Ahhhhh!

marakh wrote:Well, Tim Thomas looks pretty good out there...

Tim Thomas is successful but not because of his technique.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Whatever, there are always going to be people that want to complain just to complain. I wouldn't take this too seriously.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Whatever, there are always going to be people that want to complain just to complain. I wouldn't take this too seriously.

Agreed, Eli's fine or Murray would have canned him by now.

However, I would look over my shoulder if I were Eli, Lehner's dad might get the gig before long.

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Whatever, there are always going to be people that want to complain just to complain. I wouldn't take this too seriously.

Agreed, Eli's fine or Murray would have canned him by now.

However, I would look over my shoulder if I were Eli, Lehner's dad might get the gig before long.

On results alone, Eli is not fine.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:

Should he be applauded for taking a crappy goalie and at least making him serviceable (Gerber)? Or for being goalie coach to a Dung for brain kid who goaltended to the Finals (Emery)? Or a career backup who looked stunning for most of the season here (Auld)?

Who knows what he could have done differently, but one thing's for certain - both Muckler and Murray have made some terrific mistakes at the G position.

SpezDispenser wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Should he be applauded for taking a crappy goalie and at least making him serviceable (Gerber)? Or for being goalie coach to a Dung for brain kid who goaltended to the Finals (Emery)? Or a career backup who looked stunning for most of the season here (Auld)?

Who knows what he could have done differently, but one thing's for certain - both Muckler and Murray have made some terrific mistakes at the G position.

While I appreciate that there were issues with the talent presented to him. He demonstrated no positive influence on either Emery or Gerber. If nothing else they got worse from the day he was hired full-time.

Auld came in like gangbusters and slowly went downhill. Some say that is a historic pattern for him, but at minimum it does not suggest that Eli made him better.

Elliott was coached through Binghampton and I am not sure how much exposure he had to Wilson. Therefore I cannot comment on what influence he has had on the development of Elliott.

What I can say is that he was wholely unimpressive at the Senator's coaching clinic, as noted by every minor league coach I know. And this guy's review is consistent with my experience although I do not have a child that attended a camp ran by Wilson.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
While I appreciate that there were issues with the talent presented to him. He demonstrated no positive influence on either Emery or Gerber. If nothing else they got worse from the day he was hired full-time.

Auld came in like gangbusters and slowly went downhill. Some say that is a historic pattern for him, but at minimum it does not suggest that Eli made him better.

Elliott was coached through Binghampton and I am not sure how much exposure he had to Wilson. Therefore I cannot comment on what influence he has had on the development of Elliott.

What I can say is that he was wholely unimpressive at the Senator's coaching clinic, as noted by every minor league coach I know. And this guy's review is consistent with my experience although I do not have a child that attended a camp ran by Wilson.

While I respect Wilson, at the same time there seems to be an 'old guard' about him. It might be time to think about changing him - and this is coming from someone who thinks he's very good. There's been a lot of problems in the organization - especially in the crease as you've pointed out. And it's Murray's job to change that culture - and sometimes you can't avoid gassing someone who's collateral damage.

Lehner's father will get this job - it's a matter of when.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum