GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eli Wilson's getting a bad (worse) name???

+4
Flo The Action
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
On results alone, Eli is not fine.

Should he be applauded for taking a crappy goalie and at least making him serviceable (Gerber)? Or for being goalie coach to a Dung for brain kid who goaltended to the Finals (Emery)? Or a career backup who looked stunning for most of the season here (Auld)?

Who knows what he could have done differently, but one thing's for certain - both Muckler and Murray have made some terrific mistakes at the G position.

SpezDispenser wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:
On results alone, Eli is not fine.

Should he be applauded for taking a crappy goalie and at least making him serviceable (Gerber)? Or for being goalie coach to a Dung for brain kid who goaltended to the Finals (Emery)? Or a career backup who looked stunning for most of the season here (Auld)?

Who knows what he could have done differently, but one thing's for certain - both Muckler and Murray have made some terrific mistakes at the G position.

While I appreciate that there were issues with the talent presented to him. He demonstrated no positive influence on either Emery or Gerber. If nothing else they got worse from the day he was hired full-time.

Auld came in like gangbusters and slowly went downhill. Some say that is a historic pattern for him, but at minimum it does not suggest that Eli made him better.

Elliott was coached through Binghampton and I am not sure how much exposure he had to Wilson. Therefore I cannot comment on what influence he has had on the development of Elliott.

What I can say is that he was wholely unimpressive at the Senator's coaching clinic, as noted by every minor league coach I know. And this guy's review is consistent with my experience although I do not have a child that attended a camp ran by Wilson.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
While I appreciate that there were issues with the talent presented to him. He demonstrated no positive influence on either Emery or Gerber. If nothing else they got worse from the day he was hired full-time.

Auld came in like gangbusters and slowly went downhill. Some say that is a historic pattern for him, but at minimum it does not suggest that Eli made him better.

Elliott was coached through Binghampton and I am not sure how much exposure he had to Wilson. Therefore I cannot comment on what influence he has had on the development of Elliott.

What I can say is that he was wholely unimpressive at the Senator's coaching clinic, as noted by every minor league coach I know. And this guy's review is consistent with my experience although I do not have a child that attended a camp ran by Wilson.

While I respect Wilson, at the same time there seems to be an 'old guard' about him. It might be time to think about changing him - and this is coming from someone who thinks he's very good. There's been a lot of problems in the organization - especially in the crease as you've pointed out. And it's Murray's job to change that culture - and sometimes you can't avoid gassing someone who's collateral damage.

Lehner's father will get this job - it's a matter of when.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
While I respect Wilson, at the same time there seems to be an 'old guard' about him. It might be time to think about changing him - and this is coming from someone who thinks he's very good. There's been a lot of problems in the organization - especially in the crease as you've pointed out. And it's Murray's job to change that culture - and sometimes you can't avoid gassing someone who's collateral damage.

Lehner's father will get this job - it's a matter of when.

I absolutely do not understand how you can say that Eli Wilson is very good at his job.

He has turned Tim Thomas into a Vezina winner... that's not bad. Lets see what he can do with stability inbetween the pipes before we make the ultimate judgement on the guy.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You guys are just picking on him cause he's (kinda) black.

Neely4Life wrote:He has turned Tim Thomas into a Vezina winner... that's not bad. Lets see what he can do with stability inbetween the pipes before we make the ultimate judgement on the guy.

I am not sure that he has turned Thomas into anything. If anything he has been less involved with Thomas since he took on his full-time role with the Senators. Also Thomas' 'style' is not one that lends itself to traditional coaching methods.

You still need to have good angles, position, rebound control, so on. How he controls those aspects is a different story.

Anyways, point I was making is I would like to see how he does with 2 goaltenders that are fully capable, head strong, athletic, and play the butterfly style.

Neely4Life wrote:You still need to have good angles, position, rebound control, so on. How he controls those aspects is a different story.

Anyways, point I was making is I would like to see how he does with 2 goaltenders that are fully capable, head strong, athletic, and play the butterfly style.

He would be gone if it were solely up to me. My personal experience has been underwhelming and the results the same IMO. I think fresh face, fresh perspective with the new goalies we have in the system. Just my opinion though, Murray is smarter than I am.

We'll see what he does with Leclaire and Elliott this year, if they cant stop the puck consistantly then I'll jump on the "fire Wilson" bandwagon. As for now, we'll see what happens, it's a transition year as well so w/e happens, happens.

Neely4Life wrote:We'll see what he does with Leclaire and Elliott this year, if they cant stop the puck consistantly then I'll jump on the "fire Wilson" bandwagon. As for now, we'll see what happens, it's a transition year as well so w/e happens, happens.

This is some uncharacteristic patience from you N4L?

I am on the bandwagon now. Hopefully the tenders perform, but I would imagine it would be despite the coaching rather than because of it. That is just me though.

If you have one retarded kid and one deliquent, it doesnt make you a bad father, just puts you in a shi tty spot...

MurderOnIce wrote:I am on the bandwagon now. Hopefully the tenders perform, but I would imagine it would be despite the coaching rather than because of it. That is just me though.

One of our tenders will perform. The other will be hurt for half the year (low estimate).

Neely4Life wrote:If you have one retarded kid and one deliquent, it doesnt make you a bad father, just puts you in a shi tty spot...

I am not sure I agree. Delinquents are created by lack of attention... I won't touch the other term....

Well the way Gerber played at times its questionable whether he was disabled or not... anyways, Wilson hasnt had much to work with, lets be honest. Elliott has been his only real goaltender here in Ottawa and thus far he has been pretty good.

I'll take the wait and see approch with this one.

notch4077 wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I am on the bandwagon now. Hopefully the tenders perform, but I would imagine it would be despite the coaching rather than because of it. That is just me though.

One of our tenders will perform. The other will be hurt for half the year (low estimate).

I hope so but I am firmly behind losing Wilson. We should have grabbed Benoit Allaire when he was available. He is the best goaltending coach IMO.

Having 2 butterfly goaltenders Allaire would have been ideal, I agree.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:If you have one retarded kid and one deliquent, it doesnt make you a bad father, just puts you in a shi tty spot...

Laughing3 Holy Dung, that's so mean, but so funny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum