GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues

+8
PTFlea
TheAvatar
jawal
davetherave
Acrobat
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Yikes. Cooler heads definitely didn't prevail. We're headed for a showdown. Maybe the NHL will strike back by firing Bettman? One can hope, no?

Bad move, this will back fire right in the NHLPA's and eventually the fans collective faces. You can bet on another lockout coming.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger is reporting that Pat Flatley has resigned from the PA following Paul Kelly's firing.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

N4L wrote:Bad move, this will back fire right in the NHLPA's and eventually the fans collective faces. You can bet on another lockout coming.

Since the lockout, the NHLPA has had B. Goodenow, Ted Saskin and now Paul Kelly fired. Mr. Goodenow left in July 2005, so assuming a new replacement is found soon, that will be 4 leaders in just over 4 years.

This does not bode well for hockey fans from the point of view of potential work stoppage.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Frustrated1 Yeah, I'm in total agreement; this has bad news written all over it

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We'll have to see who they bring in... but so far, this does not bode well for fans.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:We'll have to see who they bring in... but so far, this does not bode well for fans.

Obvious, isn't it? Pink, with Hargrove pulling the strings behind the curtain.

Goodenow promised no cap and was let go because there is a cap; trouble is, if not for the cap, we would have a league with 26 teams and 80-odd players out of work, the league minimum would be lower, and there would not be a salary floor. Total league revenues would be down, profit would be up, but players would be taking a larger slice of the profits.

The Saskin came in, snooped on players' e-mails and got let go (should have been prosecuted, probably).

Paul Kelly didn't do anything, but things were going well. Sure, he gets along with Buttman (the perceived enemy), but with the economy in a freefall the cap did not go down. Surely the owners could have easily claimed revenues were down. Could it be that the warmer relationship between NHL and NHLPA had something to do with this climate of cooperation?

Kinda makes you wonder, just a bit, why Lindros left that job of being ombudsman, leaving the door open for Hargrove to step in.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ron Pink would certainly seem to be the most likely to be brought in... what remains to be seen is Buzz's role in all this when the dust settles. He was never granted an interview originally... perhaps they'll change their mind and grant him one. If he takes over... I think the NHL will have a rough time.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Ron Pink would certainly seem to be the most likely to be brought in... what remains to be seen is Buzz's role in all this when the dust settles. He was never granted an interview originally... perhaps they'll change their mind and grant him one. If he takes over... I think the NHL will have a rough time.

Buzz is pretty hardcore. But he knows when and how to be pragmatic. He has a pretty decent track record of partnering with employers for the greater good.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:We'll have to see who they bring in... but so far, this does not bode well for fans.

Remember how Kelly said a few months back--and posted on this forum, BTW--there were going to be 'cap casualties' (players who didn't get offered contracts) this year?

Kelly spoke the truth...were there some angry voices in the Players' Union who decided he had to walk the plank for that?

IMHO Shabbs may be right when he suggests this will NOT be good for the fans.

Maybe the NHLPA demands the salary cap be lifted? 'Luxury tax' coming? Lockout? Who knows?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger is Twittering that "buzz hargrove emphatically states he will not throw his name into the ring as a contender for the exec dir job".

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Dreger is Twittering that "buzz hargrove emphatically states he will not throw his name into the ring as a contender for the exec dir job".

Does Dreger have anything to say about the possible (probable) role Big Nose Chelios might have in this smelly affair?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why do you think it has *anything* to do with Chelios? He's busy with the USA Olympic team.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Why do you think it has *anything* to do with Chelios? He's busy with the USA Olympic team.

I don't think teaching the young US Olympians how to trash dorms will get in the way of causing Dung with the PA.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Remember how Kelly said a few months back--and posted on this forum, BTW--there were going to be 'cap casualties' (players who didn't get offered contracts) this year?

Kelly spoke the truth...were there some angry voices in the Players' Union who decided he had to walk the plank for that?

IMHO Shabbs may be right when he suggests this will NOT be good for the fans.

Maybe the NHLPA demands the salary cap be lifted? 'Luxury tax' coming? Lockout? Who knows?

Luxury tax? You mean the hard cap would be null and void? Big mistake if they go that route.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Why do you think it has *anything* to do with Chelios? He's busy with the USA Olympic team.

I don't think teaching the young US Olympians how to trash dorms will get in the way of causing Dung with the PA.

SSF, are you dodging the question? Chelios was on the committee that hired Kelly in the first place. Why do you think he'd have anything to do with ousting him? Unless you've read something (I haven't seen anything).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

SSF, are you dodging the question? Chelios was on the committee that hired Kelly in the first place. Why do you think he'd have anything to do with ousting him? Unless you've read something (I haven't seen anything).

Just a hunch. Where there's smoke, there's a big nose!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's something I found:
http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2009/8/30/1008480/could-paul-kellys-days-be-numbered

Many players have cited a "disconnect" between Kelly
and the players and concerns over Kelly's perceived close relationship
with NHL commisioner Gary Bettman and other league executives. Chris Chelios and Shawn Horcoff appear to be in Kelly's corner, but many observers believe that the NHLPA's executive director could be on his way out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum