GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues

+8
PTFlea
TheAvatar
jawal
davetherave
Acrobat
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289014

Sources tell TSN that NHLPA interim ombudsman, Buzz Hargrove is
expected to make a presentation to the committee identifying concerns
within the association about Kelly's leadership. No details have
emerged about the nature of the concerns.

Good ol' Buzz making another power play. He's already helped the auto industry run aground. The NHL is next. I worried that we're headed for another strike/lockout sooner rather than later?

Last edited by wprager on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Is Buzz actually making a powerplay or is he just raising the concerns? I would not be surprised to see him make one though... he loves them unions. I think if Buzz is in charge... Gary will have one hell of a time.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Buzz is the Ombudsman. He's doing his job.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Buzz is the Ombudsman. He's doing his job.
Yeah, that's what I figured when I heard this yesterday - it's his job to raise concerns.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Buzz is the Ombudsman. He's doing his job.

According to Pierre this is not a good thing. Kelly is doing his job, he just doesn't go about being a bully. Hargrove is all about bully tactics, and so is Pink (the guy who apparently wanted the job when Kelly got it).

What's going on is not above board. I want things to go smoothly. That's not likely to happen if Hargrove gets too much power. If he's backing Pink then you'd better believe he's getting something in return. This is not a good development.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

When they were looking to fill the NHLPA position that Kelly eventually got, Buzz's request for an interview was declined, so even if he tries to make a power play... I don't think they'll bite. But it does sounds like some things were done against NHLPA policy and isn't that what Buzz is raising as issues?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

No, not at all.

Sources say a divide in leadership intensified in June at the summer
meetings in Las Vegas when Hargrove, advisory board head Ron Pink and
the advisory board addressed the membership privately and emerged with
the executive committee's consent on a 5 year contract extension for
the general counsel of the NHLPA, Ian Penny, without Kelly's
consultation. A union source said that exclusion violated the PA's
constitution.

According to article 6, section 2, subsection 3 of the players
associations constitution, Kelly was required to be consulted by the 30
member executive board when Penny's contract was extended.

The article reads:
"The executive director shall consult with the executive board
regarding the appointment and terms and conditions of employment of the
general counsel of the association."

Another source says Kelly was consulted in the Penny negotiation.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

In that case, shouldn't it be Kelley that raises the concern, as opposed to Hargrove/Pink?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:In that case, shouldn't it be Kelley that raises the concern, as opposed to Hargrove/Pink?

How do you know he didn't? The thing with Kelly is that he wouldn't be doing it in front of cameras/microphones. It is truly an internal deal that will become a nightmare with the media involved.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Well now, how about that. From Dreger and TSN this morning:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289357

Paul Kelly has been fired as executive director of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

The decision was made by the NHLPA's executive board, made up of 30 NHL player representatives following several hours of meetings in Chicago.

Kelly spent much of Sunday night waiting in a corridor outside the boardroom while the executive board deliberated, twice inviting interim ombudsman, Buzz Hargrove in to the discussions before a final vote and decision was made.

Kelly was invited back into the board meeting along with general counsel Ian Penny where he learned his fate.

Entering the meetings Kelly's demise was highly speculated based on the belief a number of players and watchdog PA staff had grown weary with his direction, sources claiming Kelly didn't do a good enough job getting to know the players.

It was also suggested Kelly's relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly was perceived by some as being too close.

With many changes inside the association including a revamped constitution, a newly formed executive board, and ombudsman role and advisory board, those remaining will say growing pains inside the association took their toll and Paul Kelly's demise is the latest example of the PA's ongoing internal struggle.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Maybe they felt he wouldn't serve them well enough when it came time to start negotiating a new CBA. The current one expires in 2 years.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is a bit of a bombshell, I would say...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yikes. Cooler heads definitely didn't prevail. We're headed for a showdown. Maybe the NHL will strike back by firing Bettman? One can hope, no?

Bad move, this will back fire right in the NHLPA's and eventually the fans collective faces. You can bet on another lockout coming.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger is reporting that Pat Flatley has resigned from the PA following Paul Kelly's firing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum