GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHLPA's Paul Kelly: Heatley 'a victim', per 630CHED interview

+6
TheAvatar
jamvan
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

NHLPA: Heatley a "Victim"
Dave Campbell, 630CHED.com, July 22, 2009

Speaking exclusively on 630 CHED's "Inside Sports with Dan Tencer", NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly broke his silence on the Dany Heatley saga on Wednesday night.

"I think that this been kind of twisted in a negative way, which is unfortunate for Dany. I think he's just a victim of a bad set of circumstances," said Kelly about Heatley, who requested a trade earlier in the off-season.

"While it is true that he requested a trade, it was not Dany Heatley or his agent that made that fact public. I think Dany's been unfairly treated by the media and by the (Senators) organization."

While the Senators have recently started to make public overtures that seem to indicate a willingness to have Heatley back for the upcoming season, the player himself has remained totally silent. Silence, Paul Kelly believes, is a big part of where this situation deteriorated.

Speaking about the relationship between Heatley, his agent Stacey McAlpine and Senators GM Bryan Murray, Kelly says all parties didn't do a good enough job communicating at the outset.

"It's clear that they didn't have enough of a conversation to clarify where they were at," Kelly said. "Unfortunately this thing has taken a bit of a bad twist. We think that Dany has been getting a bit of a raw deal. I think the day will come that he'll have his opportunity to clarify some of these things. Where it will be, nobody really knows."

At this point, the only 2 options that seem available to Heatley are a return to Ottawa or accepting a deal to go to Edmonton, assuming the Oilers and Senators could rekindle their trade partnership.

On Friday night, Oilers Assistant GM Kevin Prendergast was a guest on "Inside Sports" when he expressed serious doubt that Heatley would be coming to Edmonton. "I think we've given up hope on the Heatley scenario; but, I guess it's not dead in the water," said Prendergast. "But, at this point, it looks like we'll go to camp with the same team we finished with last year outside of a new goaltender."

Despite those sentiments, Paul Kelly says Dany Heatley isn't ruling anything out. "I know that Dany doesn't harbour any ill will towards Edmonton and, in fact, would seriously consider playing for the Edmonton Oilers," relayed Kelly.

Hear the entire interview by downloading the podcast at:
http://www.630ched.com/podcasts

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Someone mentioned this earlier but Kelly seems to be implying that Ottawa leaked the trade request, which is wrong.

We'd have nothing to gain by leaking the request and everything to lose.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

"Unfortunately this thing has taken a bit of a bad twist. We think that Dany has been getting a bit of a raw deal. I think the day will come that he'll have his opportunity to clarify some of these things. Where it will be, nobody really knows."

That's pretty well my favourite line right there. Laughing3

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a dumb arse article. What is Kelly saying? That Heatley should've spoken? I agree.

That the Sens leaked it? Dumb.

That Dany is being unfairly criticized? Dumb.

Dumb.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:What a dumb arse article. What is Kelly saying? That Heatley should've spoken? I agree.

Dumb.
That's all he has to do really, is come the f out and talk. He doesn' thave to do it through the media, just do it in a privately taped interview, I'd even take that.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:What a dumb arse article. What is Kelly saying? That Heatley should've spoken? I agree.

Dumb.

I think he has the unmitigated nerve to say Heatley would have spoken if he was given A chance!!!! 🇬🇬

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Somebody said it before, union boss siding and definding union member; what did we expect?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
That's all he has to do really, is come the f out and talk. He doesn' thave to do it through the media, just do it in a privately taped interview, I'd even take that.

Absolutley. I'll take anything.

Problem is, Heatley has nothing to say that doesn't make him look like a selfish Donkey. I would pretty much guarantee that.

Sophomore
Sophomore

I just don't understand Heatley or his agents. What do you gain from saying nothing? Send out a short press release saying how the situation is not at all what you wanted, and you are simply now taking time to decide you're future. By remaining silent, you just build up more and more resentment. I wish Heatley would really re-think his agents, they do not seem to be giving him good advice.

SpezDispenser wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Absolutley. I'll take anything.

Problem is, Heatley has nothing to say that doesn't make him look like a selfish Donkey. I would pretty much guarantee that.
exactly

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

111519 wrote:I just don't understand Heatley or his agents. What do you gain from saying nothing? Send out a short press release saying how the situation is not at all what you wanted, and you are simply now taking time to decide you're future. By remaining silent, you just build up more and more resentment. I wish Heatley would really re-think his agents, they do not seem to be giving him good advice.

I got the impression that they were actually dumbfounded by Heatley's actions. Agents work for the players, not the other way around.

When a player says "it's out of my hands, I don't control these things, whatever happens, happens" it's what we call bull$hit.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

jamvan wrote:

Dumb.

Hell, do a video blog. Anything.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:I just don't understand Heatley or his agents. What do you gain from saying nothing? Send out a short press release saying how the situation is not at all what you wanted, and you are simply now taking time to decide you're future. By remaining silent, you just build up more and more resentment. I wish Heatley would really re-think his agents, they do not seem to be giving him good advice.

wouldn't be surprised after all this that they are let go from representing Heatley, sheesh, this has been an absolute mess from the first time the info was leaked.

Don't worry fellas, other media sources are already taking Kelly's comments and giving their thoughts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHLPA-chief-Heatley-s-a-victim-would-seriously?urn=nhl,178305

PuckDaddy always does great interviews.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Kelly should have stayed quiet... Heatley should be the one talking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum