GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kelly has say on Heatley. courtesy Boo Boo Garrioch

+4
Jordo
SensGirl11
shabbs
jamvan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Count Chris Kelly among those who don’t want Dany Heatley’s future hanging over the Senators going into training camp.

While league sources say Senators GM Bryan Murray has made little or no progress on the Heatley trade front since the winger refused to accept a deal to send him to the Oilers last month, the players would like to see the situation settled before they report for medicals Sept. 12.

Kelly, taking a break from his summer yesterday to help out kids attending the club’s hockey camp this week at the Bell Sensplex, said he hopes that Heatley either gets his wish for a trade or kisses and makes up with coach Cory Clouston.

“We just want to see it resolved, either way,” said Kelly. “If Dany decides he’s coming back, then we’ll welcome Dany back. If they make a deal for him to go somewhere else, I’m sure (Murray) will try to get the best possible deal for him. I wish him all the luck if he goes somewhere else.”
Sources say the Sharks are still in the mix to land Heatley, but have yet to make a serious offer.

The indications are if Heatley isn’t dealt he will report to camp. He has six years and nearly $40 million US left on his contract. Not only would he not get paid if he didn’t report, he’d also be suspended for breach of contract.
‘A great teammate’

“If things weren’t cleared up it may be (a distraction),” said Kelly. “If things were cleared up, meaning he’s coming back, I think it’s something we can put past us and move forward.

“It kind of came out of left field. If Dany was a bad person, a bad teammate or a bad guy, then I think it would be a lot easier (to accept). But Dany is a great teammate, a great guy and I think that’s what makes this so difficult. (Nobody is sure) where it’s coming from.”

Kelly said with the organization missing the playoffs for the first time in 12 years and only two years removed from going to the Stanley Cup final against the Ducks, the summer has been long. He has been working out with the likes of Chris Neil and Jason Spezza.

Kelly was buoyed by the signing of winger Alexei Kovalev from the Canadiens.
“It’s exciting when you can pick up a player like that. When I heard he signed with us, I was kind of taken aback. Picking up a guy like that with that kind of talent, will definitely help our club. He was always dominant against us with Montreal last year,” said Kelly.

“If you’re looking for a top-six (forward), on most teams he’s a top three. With our top three (Heatley, Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson), that relieves the pressure off (Kovalev) and them. He doesn’t need to be the guy each and every night. He has some help with them and they have some help with him.”
bruce.garrioch@sunmedia.ca

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

At the end of the day, these guys just want it resolved so it's not a distraction, so they can move on and focus on hockey and winning.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Seriously, when is this going to be done so that we can all move on? I'm really sick of hearing about it. As I'm sure everyone else is too.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

shabbs wrote:At the end of the day, these guys just want it resolved so it's not a distraction, so they can move on and focus on hockey and winning.

Umm yeah no kidding.

This is all getting so retarded. As much as I like Kelly- he's only the 17th person on the team to say THE EXACT SAME THING. I think I've read this same article 7 or 8 times already from different players.

I think everybody knows that this is the sentiment from every player on the team, do we REALLY need to keep publishing the same article over and over again?

It kinda makes me wish we had one of those outspoken players on the team like an Avery or Emery- at least then we'd get some interesting banter. Maybe shine a light on what's really going on....

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so sick of hearing about this nonsense PR garbage from the team on the Heatley issue.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Poor Kelly. Here is waving the Black, red and white pompoms oblivious to the fact that he may be a casualty in this whole mess.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:Poor Kelly. Here is waving the Black, red and white pompoms oblivious to the fact that he may be a casualty in this whole mess.

Facepalm

I don't know why people talk so much about Kelly being dished out in this deal.. Why does it make any sense that he's connected to a trade here? As much as you guys think Zubov and Regin can do the same job- you're so very wrong.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Poor Kelly. Here is waving the Black, red and white pompoms oblivious to the fact that he may be a casualty in this whole mess.

Facepalm

I don't know why people talk so much about Kelly being dished out in this deal.. Why does it make any sense that he's connected to a trade here? As much as you guys think Zubov and Regin can do the same job- you're so very wrong.

I agree, Jordo. Kelly for picks!

Seriously though, the fact that Kelly is good and makes a fair amount of coin for us, not so much for another team, makes him an ideal candidate to be moved.

I think our precious PK will survive his departure.

Jordo wrote:

Facepalm

Thanks for letting me know I am so very wrong. I for one do believe that Regin can fill the 3rd line centre role. He may not have the experience of Kelly but he has some assets that Kelly doesn't such as hands and FO ability. Now that you've corrected me I think I'll go get a Kelly jersey.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

RobbyJ wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Facepalm

Thanks for letting me know I am so very wrong. I for one do believe that Regin can fill the 3rd line centre role. He may not have the experience of Kelly but he has some assets that Kelly doesn't such as hands and FO ability. Now that you've corrected me I think I'll go get a Kelly jersey.

I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

What do you suppose would be a good fit?

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

RobbyJ wrote:

Having good hands is something that can be taught, but hockey sense is not.

But what do I know.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

Kelly?

Do you really expect your third line centre to score more than 20 goals?

If Kelly can get 40 pts a year as a third line centre, who predominantly plays the PK- I don't think you can expect much more than that...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Kelly?

Do you really expect your third line centre to score more than 20 goals?

If Kelly can get 40 pts a year as a third line centre, who predominantly plays the PK- I don't think you can expect much more than that...

No. What would be a good fit for Regin's skills.

As for Kelly, he's averaged 12 goals per season with a high of 15. He's not scoring 20. It's not about how good he is, it's about cap space at this point. If you get a player who is only slightly less skillful for half the price you win.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Facepalm

I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

I think people would be surprised by Regin's ability. Regin actually won the team's Best Defensive Forward Award. He doesn't seem to have that much of a physical side to his game, but he appears to be somewhat of an Antoine Vermette when it comes to competing at both ends of the ice.

EDIT: by team i meant Binghamton Senators.

I am of the opinion that Regin can do Kelly's job for less than a third of the cap hit. I don't know if you're overestimating Kelly's abilities or underestimating Regin's, but it seems like a no brainer for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum