GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators

+11
Acrobat
Jordo
SensFan71
Cronie
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
PKC
asq2
davetherave
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:17 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch is never at a loss for words...our esteemed GM Hockey members will no doubt have their own thoughts on his 'Sens Report Card' and his off-season trade predictions...

Marked Down: BRUCE GARRIOCH'S 2008-09 SENATORS REPORT CARD

By BRUCE GARRIOCH
Ottawa Sun April 19 2009

Gee, it sure is quiet around here these days.

The kids have gone their separate ways. No post-season party. No dancing in the streets.

Heck, there wasn't even a flood of e-mails to the inbox and calls to The Team 1200 to complain after a devastating playoff defeat.

Instead, the Senators just packed their bags after their worst regular season since 1997-98, when they also had 83 points, but made the post-season.

This season, they missed the playoffs for the first time in 12 years.

Instead of dwelling on that fact, they're selling optimism for next season, when there won't be Craig Hartsburg to kick around.

But there will be new faces on the ice, including goaltender Pascal Leclaire, who should be healthy and ready to go for training camp.

Before we put away the chalk and clean the blackboard for another year, let's grade them one final time.

The good news: Only 146 days until training camp.

GM Bryan Murray
Well, that was fun. He installed his fourth coach behind the bench in three years, hiring Cory Clouston Feb. 2 to replace the fired Craig Hartsburg. Murray gets high marks for making that move. He has to make more changes in the off-season and will have to juggle money with the Senators close to the salary cap.

GOALIES

Brian Elliott
Came into a tough situation and performed well. But it's hard for a young goalie (he's 23) to be considered a saviour. He did the best he could, but has a penchant for giving up bad goals at bad times, something he'll have to fix to become an elite goalie.

Alex Auld
He was fine. Nothing special. Played down the stretch to see if the Senators could find a taker for him before the draft in June. Has always been streaky and that didn't change in Ottawa. His $1-million contract will be hard to move.

DEFENCE

Filip Kuba
Was the club's best blueliner most of the year. He didn't score enough goals (3), but contributed at both ends of the ice. Was a plus player and that's saying something on this team. When you don't notice him, you know he's playing well.

Brian Lee
Another player the organization has to decide what to do with. If Erik Karlsson makes the Senators next season, Lee -- who plays a similar style -- could find himself left out of the mix. A trade candidate.

Chris Phillips
Didn't have the kind of season he or the Senators expected. Certainly played better once Clouston took over and brought some structure. His plus/minus improved dramatically. He's reliable, but might not be counted on so heavily next season if there are major changes.

Brendan Bell
An interesting situation to watch. Was called up in November and stayed all season. A looming restricted free agent, the Senators will likely qualify him on a two-way contract. He could opt not to sign and become unrestricted. Faces some tough decisions.

Chris Campoli
Not sure what to make of this guy. He came from the Islanders -- where it appeared to be a free-for-all system -- to a coach who demands structure. Can move the puck and contribute offensively, but has to do it more consistently. His defensive play must also improve.

Anton Volchenkov
Never question his effort or heart. He does it all and isn't fancy. Never afraid to throw his body in front of a shot and is always playing hurt. Just a smart player. Had a tough year, but still managed to contribute.

Alex Picard
Missed most of the second half with an injury. Hasn't worked out the way the club wanted. Has to be better in his own end. Can make costly errors. Wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt in the off-season.

Jason Smith
To call his season a disaster would be an understatement. Not only did he not perform up to expectations, he missed the last month of the season with a knee injury. Can he be better playing a full season under Clouston? The Senators can only hope.

Christoph Schubert
The Senators tried to trade him and nobody wanted him. That's the part he doesn't get. They will try to deal his $900,000 contract again. Has to stop whining about wanting to be a defenceman and earn his playing time.

FORWARDS

Daniel Alfredsson
Tough year for the captain. Still was the club's best player and is showing no signs of age (36), but the rest of the Senators forgot to follow their leader. Missing the post-season didn't sit well with this Senator for life.

Nick Foligno
One of the big positives. Had to establish himself as an NHLer and did. Is willing to play at both ends of the ice. Has shown he could be a consistent 20-goal scorer. Has to work hard because he's not gifted offensively. Will play more next season.

Ryan Shannon
A nice surprise. Called up from Binghamton when the club was looking for help, he came in and earned himself a new contract, along with a spot on Team USA at the world championship. Did his job playing mostly with Fisher. Now has valuable experience at this level.

Shean Donovan
A role player who plays his role. But had a tough time staying in the lineup under Clouston. Can be on the fourth line any time. If Chris Neil doesn't return, Donovan's role might expand.

Jarkko Ruutu
A guy you love to have on your team and hate to play against. Has to be more disciplined in some situations, but that's just him. Loves to make the opposition take penalties. Did his job, for the most part. Might be dealt in the off-season.

Dany Heatley
Didn't have a dominant year by any stretch of the imagination. His play was hurt by inconsistency. But he has to have more ups than downs or this team goes nowhere.

Jason Spezza
Another player who is difficult to judge. His numbers were decent, but his play left a lot to be desired. Maybe playing at the worlds will help him next season. Has to take his play to another level every game, not once in a while.

Mike Fisher
Played better under Clouston, but is another guy who struggled with his consistency. Is a rugged player who must produce more offensively. Has always worked hard, he hasn't always worked smart and that made his season difficult.

Jesse Winchester
Found out pretty quickly he's not an offensive player, but a role player. Given a role by Clouston to be a rugged fourth-liner, Winchester got the job done. Seems headed in the right direction.

Chris Neil
Another player who will be interesting to watch. Fought a lot this year, will be a UFA and wants to be paid accordingly. Doesn't have the offensive numbers to demand big money on the open market, but it only takes one GM to pay Neil what he wants.

Chris Kelly
A top candidate to be dealt in the off-season. The Senators were disappointed in his play at both ends of the ice and his penalty killing wasn't up to scratch, either. Demanded a big contract and got it. Now he has to be better. Big money means big expectations.

Mike Comrie
Acquired in the Islanders trade, he didn't have the kind of finish he or the Senators hoped. Troubled by a groin injury all season. He'll have to take a pay cut to stay.

2Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Ruutu might be dealt in the off-season?

Why?

3Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Ruutu might be dealt in the off-season?

Why?

I was wondering that myself :KJK:

Maybe you should e-mail Garrioch LOL

4Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Elliott have up the bad goals at bad times? He gave up bad goals at the perfect time. He made the big saves at the big times dspite letting in some real softies.

Aside from the Montreal game early on, give me 1 game where a weak goal let in my Elliott cost the team the game or really put the Sens behind the 8 ball... Some bad outtings for sure, but to say he was unreliable (which is basically what he said) is totally untrue.

Garrioch is out to lunch.

5Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:10 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I regret reading this diatribe passed off as journalism.

6Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:Ruutu might be dealt in the off-season?

Why?

I was wondering that myself :KJK:

Maybe you should e-mail Garrioch LOL
I can only imagine that he's thinking it would be a move to free up cap space if we keep Neil. Personally, I'd rather keep Ruutu and bring Bass up.

7Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I regret reading this diatribe passed off as journalism.

Then don't just sit there and fume...make sure your opinion is heard. Share your thoughts with Mr. Garrioch...e-mail him or respond to him at his blog 'Off The Posts' on the Ottawa Sun website.

8Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:

Then don't just sit there and fume...make sure your opinion is heard. Share your thoughts with Mr. Garrioch...e-mail him or respond to him at his blog 'Off The Posts' on the Ottawa Sun website.

I've tried that. He ignores e-mails. Maybe if I write it on paper, roll it up and stuff it in a jelly donut?

9Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:

I've tried that. He ignores e-mails. Maybe if I write it on paper, roll it up and stuff it in a jelly donut?

You could definitely try that...but make it a box of donuts LOL

10Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You guys needed to read this complete with grades. If I had to piss, I would have tossed it on the ground and given it a good shower.

Ryan Shannon got a C+, Elliott got a C-, Auld a C-. Diddle off man. These guys gave the Sens everything they had.

I feel very badly for some of us on here that Garrioch is getting paid for this rubbish and we're not. It just...really doesn't seem fair to readers IMO.

11Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:You guys needed to read this complete with grades. If I had to piss, I would have tossed it on the ground and given it a good shower.

Ryan Shannon got a C+, Elliott got a C-, Auld a C-. Diddle off man. These guys gave the Sens everything they had.

I feel very badly for some of us on here that Garrioch is getting paid for this rubbish and we're not. It just...really doesn't seem fair to readers IMO.
Where were the grades posted? Here's the article on-line:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/04/19/9163591-sun.html

12Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Where were the grades posted? Here's the article on-line:

They were in the Ottawa Sun last Sunday I think.

13Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I give Garrioch an "F" rating, for "fat".

14Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:
shabbs wrote:Where were the grades posted? Here's the article on-line:

They were in the Ottawa Sun last Sunday I think.
Ah... so they got lost on the conversion to on-line.

15Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Empty Re: Bruce Garrioch Rates The Senators Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:33 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:You guys needed to read this complete with grades. If I had to piss, I would have tossed it on the ground and given it a good shower.

Amen bro!!

Garrioch is certainly not worthy of being dubbed a journalist or sports analyst or anything of the sort, other than Buffet Enthusiast...

Anyone up for a massive e-mail flood at the Ottawa Sun.ca?

Let's sign a petition asking for Garrioch's removal from the Sens portfolio.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum