GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kelly has say on Heatley. courtesy Boo Boo Garrioch

+4
Jordo
SensGirl11
shabbs
jamvan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

What do you suppose would be a good fit?

Kelly?

Do you really expect your third line centre to score more than 20 goals?

If Kelly can get 40 pts a year as a third line centre, who predominantly plays the PK- I don't think you can expect much more than that...

No. What would be a good fit for Regin's skills.

As for Kelly, he's averaged 12 goals per season with a high of 15. He's not scoring 20. It's not about how good he is, it's about cap space at this point. If you get a player who is only slightly less skillful for half the price you win.

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
Jordo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Poor Kelly. Here is waving the Black, red and white pompoms oblivious to the fact that he may be a casualty in this whole mess.

Facepalm

I don't know why people talk so much about Kelly being dished out in this deal.. Why does it make any sense that he's connected to a trade here? As much as you guys think Zubov and Regin can do the same job- you're so very wrong.
Thanks for letting me know I am so very wrong. I for one do believe that Regin can fill the 3rd line centre role. He may not have the experience of Kelly but he has some assets that Kelly doesn't such as hands and FO ability. Now that you've corrected me I think I'll go get a Kelly jersey.

I don't like the idea of Regin centering the 3rd line. That's not his game; not his strength and not a good fit for his skills.

I think people would be surprised by Regin's ability. Regin actually won the team's Best Defensive Forward Award. He doesn't seem to have that much of a physical side to his game, but he appears to be somewhat of an Antoine Vermette when it comes to competing at both ends of the ice.

EDIT: by team i meant Binghamton Senators.

I am of the opinion that Regin can do Kelly's job for less than a third of the cap hit. I don't know if you're overestimating Kelly's abilities or underestimating Regin's, but it seems like a no brainer for me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Regin can win face offs. If you win face offs on the PK your PK gets better. I think if Regin replaces Kelly as our first PK unit's center the PK remains just as good as before. And if not, the improved goaltending and more disciplined play will make up the difference (yes, the disciplined play has to be taught -- I want the Sens to be one of the cleanest teams when it comes to fluff fouls like hooking and holding; I don't mind a boarding or roughing call once in a while).

Having Regin center the third line would allow us to promote skilled forwards and give them a chance to produce. We gain offense at the expense of having a dedicated checking line. The best teams in the league (the Cup contenders) usually have a checking line, or their best players are excellent checkers as well. I believe the second "solution" can be taught. If not, hey, we're not a Cup contending team yet, so why not develop some secondary scoring while we await our chance?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum