GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: 'challenged' NHLPA boss Kelly fired, per TSN; the search for a successor continues

+8
PTFlea
TheAvatar
jawal
davetherave
Acrobat
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Why do you think it has *anything* to do with Chelios? He's busy with the USA Olympic team.

I don't think teaching the young US Olympians how to trash dorms will get in the way of causing Dung with the PA.

SSF, are you dodging the question? Chelios was on the committee that hired Kelly in the first place. Why do you think he'd have anything to do with ousting him? Unless you've read something (I haven't seen anything).

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Why do you think it has *anything* to do with Chelios? He's busy with the USA Olympic team.

I don't think teaching the young US Olympians how to trash dorms will get in the way of causing Dung with the PA.

SSF, are you dodging the question? Chelios was on the committee that hired Kelly in the first place. Why do you think he'd have anything to do with ousting him? Unless you've read something (I haven't seen anything).

Just a hunch. Where there's smoke, there's a big nose!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Here's something I found:
http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2009/8/30/1008480/could-paul-kellys-days-be-numbered

Many players have cited a "disconnect" between Kelly
and the players and concerns over Kelly's perceived close relationship
with NHL commisioner Gary Bettman and other league executives. Chris Chelios and Shawn Horcoff appear to be in Kelly's corner, but many observers believe that the NHLPA's executive director could be on his way out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Just a hunch. Where there's smoke, there's a big nose!

Well, being the owner of a rather prominent nose myself I have to take a slight offense at that. Mostly because it's not really contributing anything in the way of offering an answer to the question originally posed. Sorry to go all DTR on you, but do you have anything relevant to explain why you think Chelios has anything to do with this?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Well, being the owner of a rather prominent nose myself I have to take a slight offense at that. Mostly because it's not really contributing anything in the way of offering an answer to the question originally posed. Sorry to go all DTR on you, but do you have anything relevant to explain why you think Chelios has anything to do with this?

That's alright. DTR goes DTR on me all the time. :^^^^:

He was a prominent dissident Dung-disturber in the PA and now that his playing days are over I'm sure he sees this as a good way to get the spotlight he craves.

You know what they say: "Big nose, big shoes"... or something like that. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

"Going DTR" Laughing3

Is that like 'going to a go-go'?

Anyway, CSNPhilly's Tim Panaccio isn't too optimistic about what comes next for the NHLPA...here's some snippets from his column today...

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?NHLPA-Fires-Kelly-as-Exec-Director--a-hr=1&blockID=72244&feedID=704

“Very strange,” said one senior league official of Kelly’s firing.

“I have no idea why,” said a highly-influential member of the NHL’s Board of Governors, who sits on key committees.

"I’m not sure, but I believe there is a faction in the group that wants a hard-liner," said another BOG member. "[Kelly] wasn’t all that close to Bettman and Daly."

Panaccio seems to think a showdown is coming...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A showdown = the fans lose and we'll probably have another freakin' lockout/stoppage/whatever.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:"Going DTR" Laughing3

Anyway, CSNPhilly's Tim Panaccio isn't too optimistic about what comes next for the NHLPA...here's some snippets from his column today...

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?NHLPA-Fires-Kelly-as-Exec-Director--a-hr=1&blockID=72244&feedID=704

“I have no idea why,” said a highly-influential member of the NHL’s Board of Governors, who sits on key committees.

"I’m not sure, but I believe there is a faction in the group that wants a hard-liner," said another BOG member. "[Kelly] wasn’t all that close to Bettman and Daly."

Another snippet:

Many of those “hard liners” under Chris Chelios want a strict, adversarial relationship similar to the one when Bob Goodenow was around. He was ousted in a coup by the players coming out of the lockout in favor of middle-of-the-road Saskin.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:"Going DTR" Laughing3

Very weird...whomever was quoted in the TSN article seemed to be implying that Kelly was in fact too close to Bettman and Daly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sounds like they want to go back to a more "them against us" type of relationship between the NHL and NHLPA. I have a feeling it boils down to the cap being in place and squeezing out those "middle tier" players... the recent flow of players to the KHL is probably not sitting well with them in general.

Like DTR mentioned earlier, I would not be surprised if they bring in someone who will take a hard line to get the cap removed and have it replaced with a soft cap/luxury tax type of system so that these "middle tier" players are able to find a home.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So how does this reconcile with the other piece I showed, the one that suggested Chelios was supporting Kelly?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:So how does this reconcile with the other piece I showed, the one that suggested Chelios was supporting Kelly?

Ask Tim Pinocchio. The DTRed DTRs the DTRer... cool)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:So how does this reconcile with the other piece I showed, the one that suggested Chelios was supporting Kelly?
Two different stories from two different sources?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

A whole lotta DTRin goin' on... :^^^^:

As usual, the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys' depend on who's reporting on whom...there are probably a whole bunch of versions of this story about who supports who.

Comrade Prager will have his hands full reconciling these; but we have faith in his persistence.
Wink

Bottom line, folks, enjoy this season. There might just be another players' strike in the not too distant future.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

:$: Burning Car

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

A whole lotta DTRin goin' on... :^^^^:

As usual, the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys' depend on who's reporting on whom...there are probably a whole bunch of versions of this story about who supports who.

Comrade Prager will have his hands full reconciling these; but we have faith in his persistence.
Wink

Bottom line, folks, enjoy this season. There might just be another players' strike in the not too distant future.

Hopefully there is no strike and season lost a lot of the smaller revenue teams cannot afford to lose the fan base. some fans are fickle and a lockout could lose a lot of fans

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Ian Penny has been Named Interim Exec Director by the NHLPA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289459

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let the interview process begin...

Sponsored content