GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Upcoming Draft Talk

+31
NEELY
beedub
Snuh
jamvan
Hayden
caissie_1
Havlat9
Hockeyhero22000
Tuk Tuk
Flo The Action
BigRig
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
SDH89
Mojo
Riprock
SensFan71
asq2
Acrobat
TheAvatar
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
mattshock
shabbs
PKC
davetherave
The Silfer Server
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
rooneypoo
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 38]

31Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:June 24, 2000: Traded Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha to the New York Islanders for Olli Jokinen and Roberto Luongo.

It's bloody hilarious every time I see it.

Well, to be balanced (if not fair) he also traded for Petr Schastlivy.

32Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Man, he really does like to reaquire guys he drafted. Come on down Cory Perry !!!!

33Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:I'm not looking to start a religious debate here, but I've heard that Kadri is a strict Muslim, who obverses all the traditions and customs of Islam. I'm wondering how that may affect his game, particularly during Ramadan. I don't think it would affect his game much, I was just more curious than anything. Anyone know much about his London days and how his religion affected his game, if at all?

Apparently that was a question raised at the combine and he advised it wouldnt affect his game. If memory serves me correctly this issue had also come up at the beginning of his junior days. He had a choice to make and things appeared to have worked out.

34Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:00 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:The true value of a GM is not the draft record, but the team. Team scouting is responsible for finding gems; the GM is responsible for arranging those gems into a crown -- or a ring. Holland has done the best job at that.
I'd like to see them arranged in the shape of a CUP.

Smile

I nominate this for POT - Post of the day !!! :^^:

35Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:12 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:
wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:Ramadan is in July/August, so the only games it would affect is street hockey Laughing3

Good thing, then, that Redden is not a Muslim. That would seriously cut into his street hockey career.

Ramadan was in September last year. I was a frosh leader and we had muslims dropping of dehydration constantly. They couldn't eat or drink during the day (except for the extreme cases). I can see how it would be a factor.

Yep, it was in September/October the last decade+, for the next 8 years. it's gonna be in August. If Kadri is ranked as a top 10 draft pick after playing junior hockey during ramadan, he's gonna be better playing in the NHL not during ramadan.

36Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:The Sens homepage is starting to put up detailed profiles of / interviews with the players we stand to pick with our 9th overall selection. So far:

Kadri: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=425470&page=NewsPage&service=page

Cowen: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=425338&page=NewsPage&service=page

Gotta say, after all I've read on Kadri in the last 24 hours, I'm starting to see why he's inching his way up the draft.

Good lord, I'm nervous as Dung about Kadri. It's good to hear that people are starting to come around on him.

I've always liked Kadri, he was the last cut last year for the WJC ahead of Duschene and Schenn. I don't know where the hate comes from, seriously.

37Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:53 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:The Sens homepage is starting to put up detailed profiles of / interviews with the players we stand to pick with our 9th overall selection. So far:

Kadri: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=425470&page=NewsPage&service=page

Cowen: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=425338&page=NewsPage&service=page

Gotta say, after all I've read on Kadri in the last 24 hours, I'm starting to see why he's inching his way up the draft.

Good lord, I'm nervous as Dung about Kadri. It's good to hear that people are starting to come around on him.

I've always liked Kadri, he was the last cut last year for the WJC ahead of Duschene and Schenn. I don't know where the hate comes from, seriously.

Wasn't he injured?

38Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

yeah he was.

39Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:11 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

He had a broken jaw. He was still at camp with a cage, which shows he has heart, and a strong work ethic. It would be easy to make an excuse, good on the kid.

40Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Going back to Murray's record - 20/72 picks over the first six rounds have played 200+ games.

Discounting new picks picked up in trade, I believe Ottawa has seven this year, thus we can expect to see at least two turn into "keepers", with two more as depth players - a far better average than most teams.

41Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

10 more days...

42Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:15 pm

shabbs wrote:10 more days...

Until I go to Italy, yes.

The draft however, is in 9 days Wink

43Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Since it's at 7PM, it's more like 10 days, but anyway...

It seems like Bryan Murray will try hard to move up (as per the video interview on TSN).

44Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11274/senators2009_draft_preview/

Laughing3 If he is available at 9 I'll drive Heatley to the Airport.

45Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:47 am

marakh wrote:http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11274/senators2009_draft_preview/

Hell yes.

46Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:38 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11274/senators2009_draft_preview/

Man, I'll crap myself if we get MPS at 9th overall.

The top 5 (Tavaras, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, and Schenn) appear to be set. A consensus is emerging, too, that PHO will take a D (one of OEL or Kulikov) at 6th. Everything depends, it seems, then, on what TOR and DAL do with the 7th and 8th picks. You have to assume that Cowan goes to one of them. But who's the other pick? Is there anyway MPS makes it out of the top 8?

It would be fantastic if we get to pick MPS with the 9th overall, but I'm really doubting it. Which is unfortunate, because it strikes me that it's a rather substantial drop from MPS to, say, Kadri, Kassian, or Schroeder. But I think I'm coming to agree with the writer of the article on the key point -- i.e., that we have to get a forward, preferably a winger, with our top selection.

47Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Looking at Dallas' prospect depth chart on hockeysfuture.com, it looks as though they are extremely weak defensively, and have a plethora of offensive prospects. To me that indicates they'd pick a Dman. Granted they just had 3 Dmen prospects graduate, but with only 5 listed, you'd think they'd fill up the reserves. HockeysFuture.com's mock draft appears to agree, as they have them picking Kulikov.

Toronto is a bit more of a mystery. I think if LA still has their pick by draft day, Toronto will make a serious pitch to move up, as he is gunning for Brayden Schenn. But if he doesn't get him, then I could see him drafting someone like Jared Cowen. He likes the big physical guys. I could also see him potentially moving down a few spots and maybe getting another draft pick and looking to draft a guy like Kassian or maybe even Carter Ashton.

48Upcoming Draft Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Upcoming Draft Talk Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:Looking at Dallas' prospect depth chart on hockeysfuture.com, it looks as though they are extremely weak defensively, and have a plethora of offensive prospects. To me that indicates they'd pick a Dman. Granted they just had 3 Dmen prospects graduate, but with only 5 listed, you'd think they'd fill up the reserves. HockeysFuture.com's mock draft appears to agree, as they have them picking Kulikov.

Toronto is a bit more of a mystery. I think if LA still has their pick by draft day, Toronto will make a serious pitch to move up, as he is gunning for Brayden Schenn. But if he doesn't get him, then I could see him drafting someone like Jared Cowen. He likes the big physical guys. I could also see him potentially moving down a few spots and maybe getting another draft pick and looking to draft a guy like Kassian or maybe even Carter Ashton.

I think the top-4 will look like this:

NYI - JT/Hedman
TB - JT/Hedman
COL - Duchene
ATL - Kane

If LA then takes Schenn, I see Phoenix taking Cowen and Toronto ends up with MPS. If LA takes MPS, then I could see Phoenix taking Schenn, since they have some nice D prospects/young d-men already and will need a Doan replacement eventually. That leaves Toronto with Cowen.

Either way, it's not an ideal situation for us. You either see Toronto ending up with one of the most unbelievably difficult pairings to score against (Cowen - Schenn) or with MPS.

But, we're guaranteed one of OEL, Cowen, Kulikov etc. as well, so we should be fine (and I suspect it will be OEL).

I just really want us to land either LA's 5th over-all pick or Brent Burns in the Heatley trade. Screw Edmonton. :n: :pirat:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 38]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum