GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

+8
asq2
SensFan71
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
beedub
shabbs
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

WINGS VS HAWKS SCP WEST FINAL '09: WHO WINS? HOW MANY GAMES?

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap260%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 60% [ 6 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_lcap220%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Predictions, Dave, we want predictions. You obviously have a plethora of links and have by now worn out the CTL, C and V keys on your keyboard (assuming you're a keyboard shortcut junkie and not a mouse-man). What I want now is to hear what you have to say. Who will win tonight, er, tomorrow (I've got the other thread in another tab and will get there ASAP)? What will be the deciding factors? Who will be the hero and who will wear the horns?

Looks like Dave ignored your request. Shrug :??:

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Predictions, Dave, we want predictions. You obviously have a plethora of links and have by now worn out the CTL, C and V keys on your keyboard (assuming you're a keyboard shortcut junkie and not a mouse-man). What I want now is to hear what you have to say. Who will win tonight, er, tomorrow (I've got the other thread in another tab and will get there ASAP)? What will be the deciding factors? Who will be the hero and who will wear the horns?
Too funny.

:^^^^:

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Red Wings legend Gordie Howe recalls Hawks rivalry

By David Haugh, Chicago Tribune, May 22, 2009

Life has been difficult for Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe, since he lost Mrs. Hockey, his wife of 55 years, Colleen, two months ago.

Colleen Howe passed away March 6 after a lengthy battle with Pick's Disease, a rare form of dementia first diagnosed in 2002. She was the NHL's first female agent who played an integral role in the legendary career of her husband, Gordie, who played longer than any player in league history until retiring in 1980 at the age of 52.

Still grieving, the 81-year-old Howe considered by many as the greatest hockey player ever no longer speaks in public or grants interviews in person at his home in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., according to son, Marty.

Howe's only published comments since his wife's death came a month later after an appearance at a charity hockey tournament when he responded to a question from the National Post about whether Colleen Howe belonged in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

"Hell, yes," Howe said. "More than a lot of people we know."

These days, arthritis in Howe's shoulders and wrists has kept him off the golf course. That means more time for Howe to fish, his other favorite pastime away from the ice. Howe also still loves his Red Wings, with whom he spent 25 seasons (1946-71) ruling Hockeytown USA. Every now and then, as Howe did last week, he will attend a Wings game and afterward stop by the office of a coach he admires, Mike Wang. His son, Mark, is the Red Wings' Director of Pro Scouting.

Before Friday's Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals at the United Center between Howe's Red Wings and the Blackhawks, a rivalry Howe helped define during the his quarter-century in Detroit, No. 9 graciously agreed to answer questions via e-mail.

Q. What are your favorite memories of the Red Wings-Blackhawks rivalry?

A. I really enjoyed playing against my friends, Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. Mr. [James] Norris had ownership in both Chicago and Detroit so it was strange to compete against your own owner, when you think about it.

Q. How does the Red Wings-Blackhawks rivalry compare to others in hockey and other sports?

A. Back in the Original Six days, we played each other about 14 times in the regular season alone so virtually every opponent was a heated rivalry. It certainly helps too when you have two teams who are competitive against one another and have a chance at the Stanley Cup.

Q. Who was the toughest Blackhawks player you remember either playing against or fighting?

A. The Blackhawks, like all the teams back in our era, had many tough players. One that comes to mind is my close friend, Bill Gadsby [former Blackhawks captain who played in Chicago from 1946-57 and later coached Howe with the Red Wings from 1968-70]. Of course, Ted Lindsay played there too for a few years [1957-60] and was always a force on the ice.

Q. How much NHL hockey do you watch today and who are your favorite players?

A. I don't watch much hockey today other than when my son, Mark, comes to town. He is currently the Director of Pro Scouting for the Detroit Red Wings so I go down to Joe Louis Arena with him on occasion. I'm still a Wings fan but just don't watch a whole lot of games anymore. I'm trying to watch as many Wings playoff games as I can though and would love to see the boys go all the way again.

Q. What do you think is the secret has been to the Red Wings success and consistency?

A. They have tremendous ownership with Mike and Marian Ilitch and great management by [Red Wings general manager and executive vice-president] Kenny Holland and his staff. They also have a great locker-room with strong leadership and lots of talent. A close locker-room will go a long way in developing team chemistry.

Q. What makes Detroit such a great hockey city?

A. The fans have shown tremendous support over the years in the city of Detroit. I think the close proximity to Windsor helps, too, as there are a fair number of Canadian fans who attend the games.

Q. How fondly do you recall skating with an 18-year-old Wayne Gretzky and how much do you value your relationship with him? [In the 1979 All-Star game of the now-defunct World Hockey Association, Gretzky skated on a line with Howe and his son, Mark during a three-game series against a Russian team.]

A. Wayne was like a sponge. He absorbed all the information and was a true student of the game. Wayne has always been a class-act and great ambassador of the game.

Q. How are you feeling overall and is there anything you want to say to fans of yours in the hockey community?

A. I'd just like to say a sincere thank-you to everyone for your support over the years. The fans are what make this the greatest game in the world. I was very fortunate to play 32 years of professional hockey, including international competition. Along the way, I've met many wonderful people worldwide and I continue to do so today. It was an honor to play in front of so many different fans over my years of hockey and I'm grateful for it.

dhaugh@tribune.com

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 DetDetroit 3, SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 ChiChicago 4

GAME THREE, 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WEST SEMIFINAL

123OTT
DET03003
CHI21014
Final OT

8:00 PM ET, May 22, 2009, United Center, Chicago, Illinois

Hawks top Wings 4-3 in OT on Sharp's game-winner

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Adam Jahns; ESPN/AP

Patrick Sharp scored 1:52 into overtime to lift the Blackhawks to a 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings Friday in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals at the United Center.

Sharp put in a loose puck from the left circle after a scrum in front of Wings goalie Chris Osgood.

The Hawks jumped out to a three-goal lead over Detroit. But as champions do, the Wings battled back, scoring three straight goals of their own to tie it at 3-3 after the second period.

Niklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski and Jonathan Ericsson all scored in a five-minute span in the second to erase the three-goal deficit.

Cristobal Huet replaced Nikolai Khabibulin in goal for the Hawks at the start of the third. Corey Crawford was on the bench as the backup. Khabibulin's status is unknown.

The Hawks jumped on the Wings in the first period as Patrick Sharp and Andrew Ladd scored 1:05 apart from each other.

Sharp scored on the power play when he redirected in a Brent Seabrook shot from the point at 8:45 in the first. Jonathan Toews and Sharp both screened goalie Chris Osgood on the shot.

Ladd batted in a rebound of his own shot moments later. Dave Bolland and Martin Havlat assisted.

Forty-five seconds into the second period, Samuel Pahlsson scored to give the Hawks a 3-0 advantage.

A hit by Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall knocked Havlat out the game. Havlat went after a loose puck along the boards and was hit when his head was down. A scrum followed as Havlat lay on the ice for several minutes.

Kronwall was handed a game misconduct, while Havlat was helped off the ice. The winger did not return to the game.

Game Four is Sunday afternoon at the United Center.

Game notes (ESPN/AP)
The Blackhawks are 3-1 in overtime this postseason. ...
Kirk Maltby returned to Detroit's lineup after missing three games as a healthy scratch. ... Waving to the crowd from a box were former Blackhawks star Bobby Hull and ex-Bulls great Michael Jordan, who was wearing a No. 23 Blackhawks jersey.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Game 4, I think Datsyuk is back in (he was, after all, a game-time
decision for last night's affair). I'm pretty sure Havlat was knocked
out (he didn't move for quite a while) so there is a very good chance
he has a concussion. Now, these are the playoffs, so unless he can't
stand without vomiting they might play him. There are no rules for
this, but the guidelines are that they have to be symptom-free for at
least five days and their neurological tests have to be at the baseline
set in pre-season (many players "cheat" on the pre-season test in order
to be able to more easily reach that "baseline" in the event of a
concussion).

So, if Marty is *diagnosed* with a concussion (I put that in asterisks
because, although teams are required to report concussions, these are
the playoffs) he will miss at least the next five days, or 2 games.
You can't double shift guys for 2 games, so who do you bring in? The
Hawks have Pelletier and Bickell as left wingers on the roster -- a
combined total of 20 games and 2 points at the NHL level. Yeah, this
is going to hurt the Hawks.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

IceChips is reporting that Khabibulin is *not* expected to play Sunday afternoon in game 4. From the TSN panel discussion, Pang noticed that he was slow in his side-to-side movement and getting up from the butterfly. Sounds like groin or adductor.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wow... Havlat got rocked...

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Havlat_kronwall_400

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The view from Chicago this morning:

THESE 2 HAWKS ARE SORE WINNERS
Khabibulin unlikely to play, Havlat in doubt; Huet and Fraser would step in

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES May 24, 2009/LEN ZIEHM lziehm@suntimes.com

A big reason why the Blackhawks have come so far is that they had a relatively injury-free regular season and had all hands available for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

That's no longer the case.

Havlat, who suffered concussion-like symptoms when he took a high hit from the Wings' Niklas Kronwall, is more likely to play. Coach Joel Quenneville said Colin Fraser will rejoin the lineup if Havlat can't go.
Khabibulin reportedly suffered a lower-body injury after giving up three goals off shots from the blue line in about 5½ minutes during the second period. He has had several groin injuries in his four seasons with the Hawks. Neither he nor Havlat was available for interviews after the workout Saturday at the United Center.

Quenneville wouldn't confirm it, but Cristobal Huet apparently will be in goal today.

He was solid in relief Friday, stopping all six shots he faced in the third period and overtime.

Huet maybe spoke out of turn when he alluded to ''knowing that I'm going to play tomorrow -- I guess.''

The relief stint was Huet's first appearance of the playoffs, but he started only one fewer game (40) than Khabibulin during the regular season, and their statistics were comparable. Huet was 20-15-4 with a 2.53 goals-against average and .909 save percentage. Khabibulin was 25-8-7, 2.33 and .919.

''We felt all season that we had two No. 1 goaltenders,'' forward Patrick Sharp said. ''No matter who's in, we seem to get effort from them. The moves that [general manager Dale Tallon] made in the summer are paying off now.''

''Cris came in so calm in the nets. The team feeds off that,'' defenseman Brian Campbell said. ''He's worked extra hard, and he's a great person. He deserves everything he gets. We probably wouldn't have been in fourth place in the Western Conference if we hadn't had both those guys.''

No doubt it'll be much easier for the Hawks to replace Khabibulin than it will be to replace Havlat. He was knocked out by Kronwall after assisting on the Hawks' second goal -- his 15th point in 15 postseason games.

The Hawks wouldn't confirm that Havlat had a concussion, and Quenneville insisted ''there's a chance he could play tomorrow.''

Injuries to the head can be tricky, though, and the Hawks will be cautious with Havlat.

''We're not going to discuss his injury, but if he's ready to play and passes all tests, he'll play,'' Quenneville said. ''Our medical staff is attuned to his health, and his health is the first criterion before we even consider whether he should be playing. There are guidelines that are out there that will always be taken into account before it's decided whether he can play or not.''

If Havlat is out, Quenneville will have some line-juggling to do. Fraser was the fourth-line center in 81 of the 82 regular-season games but has played only once in the postseason, when Patrick Kane was nursing the flu in Calgary. If Fraser plays, left wing Ben Eager likely will move from the fourth line to the second and be paired with Dave Bolland and Andrew Ladd. That likely would lead to Adam Burish switching from center to left wing on the fourth line.

A Fraser-for-Havlat switch wouldn't help the Hawks offensively, but Fraser brings something to the table, too. The Fraser-Burish-Eager line provided good defense, solid checking and enthusiasm all season.

''[Fraser] can kill penalties as well as block shots,'' Quenneville said. ''He pays attention to details defensively, and he's a competitive guy. You've got to commend him for how he's practiced and kept himself game-ready. He can't wait to get in the lineup.''

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The transcript of Joel Quenneville's press conference Saturday:

Blackhawks Coach Quenneville/Saturday May 23, 2009

Q. What is the update on Khabi and Havlat?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Khabi is doing better today. We’ll see how he presents tomorrow. But good progress.

And Marty, as well. I thought Marty really looked good today. Hopefully he progresses today in the same fashion for tomorrow and a chance he could play tomorrow.

Q. What did you think on the hit on Havlat?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: It’s a dangerous hit. Same stance as I had last night. You know, he didn’t touch the puck. The guy left his feet. You know, it was a tough hit.

Q. Will Khabibulin possibly start tomorrow?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: We’ll see. We’ll make that determination tomorrow.

Q. No news obviously on a suspension for Kronwall. Is that disappointing to you guys?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: League’s got their job to do. We respect their decisions in all those type of matters.

Q. Have you talked to anyone from the league about it?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Kris King is the supervisor of our series. He’s been around, will be around. We let him do his job. We have constantly been in dialogue throughout the series. We’ve had him for three rounds. He’s done a nice job.

Q. The Havlat hit, there were some reports that he had lost consciousness. If he did, does that mean a concussion, make it less likely he’ll play tomorrow?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Well, whatever - our medical staff is pretty in tune to his health. His health’s gonna be the first criteria before he’s even going to be considered to be playing. There are guidelines out there in all situations. So that will always be taken into account before any decision’s made if he can play or not.
We’re not going to discuss the injury. But, you know, if he’s ready to play and he passes all tests, he’ll play.

Q. What did you think of the line of Pahlsson, Versteeg, and Sharp last night?
JOEL QUENNEVILLE: I thought they did a nice job. They made some nice plays. Different look. Just moving Byf around, flip?flop wingers on that line. I thought both lines did a nice job in that regard.

But I think Steeger is handy at making nice place, Sharpy is a nice finisher. Sammy made a great pass, I don’t know if you could say it was a nice pass or not, but it was a great play.

I think they all bring something a little bit different to the line. I think our versatility with all the lines this year has been effective. I think we’ll see going into tomorrow, a good chance they’ll stay together at the start.

Q. If Havlat is not in, is it Colin Fraser?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Fras will be the next candidate to join the lineup up front, yeah.

Q. As these series progressed in the first two rounds, now this one, it seems like the tone has become more physical and there’s a dislike building. Do you see the same thing happening in this series?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: I think as the games progress, the meaning, the importance is magnified. Like you say, animosity is built up. Guys are trying to hurt guys in the right ways. But I still think we’re always respectful for their power play, playing hard within the whistles. Knowing there’s the discipline factor is a key element going forward to have success.

You know, we want to be physical. I think that’s how we got through our first two rounds. I think that’s part of our make up of our team that, you know, we can be hard to play against. And against this team, it’s something we’ve got to continue to try to do.

Q. Before you settled in with Khabi as your starter, you said you had two No. 1 goalies most of the season. Seems to come in handy at the best of times. Say something about how Huet put out the fire.

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: He did a great job. We talked about how well and how hard he practiced through this long stint for him. And, you know, I think his diligence in how hard he practiced paid off. Being thrown into a fire in a huge game, 3?3 in the third of Game 3. So he did his job. He looked very comfortable in there. I think he gave our whole team I guess some patience with our game, settled us down coming off a tough second period.

You know, I think that confidence is gonna be good for us going forward. Nice having the decision that we will have to face as we go along here. Hopefully Khabi is part of the mix.

Q. Obviously Colin and Marty are very different types of forwards. Can you talk a little bit about what Colin can do for you in the series, how it changes what your flexibility and the things you can do.

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Well, we’ll see. We’re still optimistic that Khabi could play. But Fras has been in that role, I think, all year long. That line has been one of the top, we’ll say, role lines all year long, energy lines, checking lines, enthusiasm line.

But he can kill penalties for us as well, block shots, pays attention to details defensively. But he’s a competitive guy that, you know, you got to commend him by how he’s practiced and kept himself game-ready, can’t wait to get in the lineup.
Q. Not talking specifically about that hit last night, but do you have any stance on the general theme of blows to the head or intent to injure?

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Well, seems to be more of an awareness over last year or two, whether it’s the severity, frequency or the hits and the consequences of the players who were banged up. It’s a tough issue. I know that we want intensity, we want physical play. We like to see big hits in games. At the same time, you know, injuries sometime take that away, the type of hits you look at.

So I think it’s on that line there, you’re looking at it, what’s a good and a tough hit. But I think as fans and as people that watch a game, I think hitting is a great part of our game, and I think how you go about it, I think there’s something that there’s been a lot of discussion about.

I think this will probably go along in those lines of, you know, how you want to go forward with it. But, I mean, I like physical play and I like big hits. So it’s one of those things.

Blows to the head is probably more the issue we’re talking about here.

Q. Corey Crawford said he’s never gotten dressed faster in his life. Textbook case of always having to be on alert.

JOEL QUENNEVILLE: Our goalies, they’ve been around throughout most of the playoffs. Waiting for a chance for this to happen. I know they’ve had some practice time with us throughout the playoffs here. But being actually in the game where you could have actually been a part of it is a big thrill.

I've got to commend those two guys through this whole process as well. Eventually you get a chance to play. Who knows. But he’s been a good kid. I thought he looked good in practice today, as well. You know, he’s played some NHL games. I think we've got some depth there, as well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Havlat and Bulin out for Game 4?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4201646

This could spell trouble for The Warriors...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More coverage here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279704

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Sunday Edition of the Chicago Tribune offers a perspective on what the Blackhawks' renaissance means to the city--and the star power it attracts-- while touching on related subjects, such as Comcast's potential impact on NHL TV viewership in the US.

From feature columnist Bob Verdi:

Blackhawks playing past Memorial Day? Believe it
Fantastic finish in Game 3 fits theme of Hawks' magical season

Chicago Tribune/Bob Verdi's Sunday Column, May 24, 2009

Never mind that it is May, a month with which the Blackhawks of recent vintage are not familiar. Now here comes Memorial Day, when Chicago's boys of winter generally would be found working on their tans, handicaps or boats.

Instead, it's still about beards, because just when waves of experts pronounced the Western Conference finals series over before it was over, this tournament might just be acquiring an attitude. If the Hawks and Detroit Red Wings remove their gloves for Sunday's Game 4 at the United Center, it won't be for handshakes, after all.

Next thing you know ... wait, that already happened Friday night. Rocky Wirtz, the city's next mayor if he can take the pay cut and the aggravation, dropped a ceremonial puck as 22,678 provided a screaming-room-only ovation.

Bobby Hull and Michael Jordan, the latter in a No. 23 Hawks sweater, were shown later, yet even they didn't move the needle like Rocky. Wasn't it his dad, Dollar Bill, who said owners aren't supposed to be liked? How times have changed.

"A year ago, maybe not," theorized Patrick Sharp, who scored early in overtime to bring the Hawks a 4-3 victory. What he meant was, a year ago, maybe the Hawks botch this assignment completely after blowing a 3-0 lead.

Maybe, upon losing Martin Havlat to an upper-body injury during an oddly-officiated first period, then goalie Nikolai Khabibulin with a lower-body injury prior to the third period, the Hawks wouldn't have the stomach or guts -- sorry, middle-body -- to resurrect the cause a year ago.

"Pretty imperative," understated Sharp, categorizing Friday night's conquest of the defending champions, whose greatest defender, Nicklas Lidstrom, was stickless at the moment. Stuff happens, even to the Red Wings.

Hockey is about mistakes, and how teams deal with them. It is free-lance and free-flowing, unlike others. In baseball, the defense has the ball. In the NFL, the ball is live for maybe 12 minutes. In basketball, there is a clock within a clock. Hockey is the fastest game of all, except when slowing the pace is required. Beset by penalties early, the Red Wings proved even they can't kill time as comprehensively as Nancy Pelosi.

Now, Sunday is Game 4 of the Stanley Cup semifinals, and the Hawks will not be on the beach but on NBC.

"What's going on in Chicago is fantastic," said Dick Ebersol, sports chairman of a network that had a profitable fling during Jordan's reign. "The Winter Classic at Wrigley Field was the highest-rated regular season game in 34 years. Game 1 of this series was the highest-rated game on U.S. TV, not counting finals or the winter classics, in five years. There is an uptick in hockey, especially in Chicago."

NBC's contract is up at year's end, but in a feeble economy, Ebersol hopes the network and league can continue to partner by sharing risk and reward. Ever the contrarian, he touts Versus as the solution, not the problem. From America's most powerful TV executive, this is not the stuff of fluff.

"Versus treats hockey the right way, not second fiddle as it was on ESPN," said Ebersol. "Versus is in 20 million fewer homes, but the holes are tightening. And don't forget, Versus is owned by Comcast. I like that strength. I also liked Bill Wirtz. The new people in Chicago have done a great job, but Bill was a character, and he cared about the sport."

Friday night, counting the house high above the frenzied UC, Dollar Bill had to be ecstatic. His son brought fans to their feet, then Sharp sent them home with hope three loud hours later. Playoff hockey in May with June right around the corner.

The Hawks want to be the Red Wings, who do this every year.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hey DTR, have you ever considered that posting the entire contents of all these articles without proper permission or even a link back to the source is copyright infringement? I'm only mentioning this as it may have an impact on the owners of the gmhockey.com web site if these sites start to notice all of their content being posted here as opposed to just snippets with appropriate references etc...

Not sure if it is copyright infringement or if they've given you permission... just curious if the thought had crossed your mind.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Hey DTR, have you ever considered that posting the entire contents of all these articles without proper permission or even a link back to the source is copyright infringement? I'm only mentioning this as it may have an impact on the owners of the gmhockey.com web site if these sites start to notice all of their content being posted here as opposed to just snippets with appropriate references etc...

Not sure if it is copyright infringement or if they've given you permission... just curious if the thought had crossed your mind.

As this is not a paid site, and the sources are properly credited, re-posting is considered 'fair use'. Hope that answers your question.
Smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 DetDetroit 6, SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 ChiChicago 1

GAME FOUR, 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WEST SEMI-FINALS

123T
DET2316
CHI0101
Final

3:00 PM ET, May 24, 2009, United Center, Chicago, Illinois

Hawks lose discipline, focus as shorthanded Wings roll Chicago to brink

CHICAGO (AP/ESPN)-- Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg scored two goals each Sunday, and the Detroit Red Wings overcame the absences of Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk to rout the Chicago Blackhawks 6-1 and take a 3-1 lead in the Western Conference finals.

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Stanley_cup09

The defending Stanley Cup champions can clinch a return trip to the finals with a victory Wednesday at home.
The Red Wings played without six-time Norris Trophy winner Lidstrom, who was scratched due to a lower body injury. MVP finalist Datsyuk missed his second straight game with a sore foot.

Johan Franzen and Valtteri Filppula also scored for Detroit, and Chris Osgood made 18 saves in two periods. The Red Wings had three power-play goals and one short-handed tally.

Fast Facts

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Chi SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 6 Det
• Marian Hossa tied Slava Kozlov and Nicklas Lidstrom for eighth among active players with seven career multi-goal playoff games.
• The Red Wings have scored at least six goals three times this postseason -- all of which have come on the road. They are tied with the Penguins for the most games with at least six goals in this year's playoffs.
• The Red Wings extended their NHL record by allowing a power-play goal for the 13th straight game.
• Chicago's Jonathan Toews scored the lone goal. Five of his seven playoff goals have come on the power play.
• Teams trailing in a series 3-1 come back to win 9.1 percent of the time (21 of 231). Chicago has never come back from a 3-1 series deficit in its history.
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Chicago goalie
Cristobal Huet, making his first start of these playoffs in place of injured Nikolai Khabibulin, gave up four goals and was pulled in the second. Rookie Corey Crawford took over for the last 15:55 of the period, but Huet returned in the third and gave up Zetterberg's second power-play goal that made it 6-1.

Jonathan Toews had Chicago's lone goal on a second-period power play.
Hossa scored a short-handed goal on a 2-on-1 break in the first and Franzen sent the Red Wings ahead 2-0 with only 20.7 seconds left in the period with a hard and high shot from the right side.

Filppula scored on a power play a little more than a minute into the second period for a 3-0 lead. Detroit went on the power play after Chicago's
Matt Walker was assessed a roughing penalty following a scrum at the end of the first.
After Toews scored to cut it to 3-1, Hossa skated in 12 seconds later and beat Huet for his second goal, prompting coach Joel Quenneville to make the switch to Crawford.

Huet returned to start the third and
Ty Conklin got some work taking over for Osgood.

Hossa's scoring had been missing so far in the postseason. After scoring 40 goals during the regular season, he'd managed just four in the playoffs through Detroit's 14 postseason games before Sunday.

Zetterberg made it 5-1 when he scored on the power play against Crawford when the Red Wings had a two-man advantage in the second.

Franzen's 10th of the playoffs, just before the first ended, was a real momentum builder for Detroit. As
Brian Campbell was skating in front of him to defend, Franzen unleashed the shot that got through Campbell and eluded Huet.

The goal came less than a minute after Osgood made a great save on a driving Toews, who had picked up a loose puck and took it to the net.

Hossa put the Red Wings up early after four Blackhawks, including Campbell, got caught deep in the Detroit zone. Hossa started a 2-on-1, short-handed break to the other end, made a nice crossing pass to Filppula, whose perfectly timed return pass to Hossa allowed him to beat Huet.

Huet's first appearance of the playoffs came Friday night in Game 3 when he replaced an injured Khabibulin (lower body) to start the third period of Chicago's 4-3 overtime win.

Game notes
Niklas Kronwall, whose hard hit on Chicago RW Martin Havlat forced him out in the first period of Friday night's game was booed every time he touched the puck. D Chris Chelios, the Chicago native who spent nine seasons with the Blackhawks before being traded to Detroit 10 years ago, made his first appearance of the series. He was also booed, but not as loudly as Kronwall. Havlat, whose status was unclear Saturday when he didn't practice, got a rousing ovation when introduced.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

As I've said before, Filppula is going to be a star in this league. :KKK:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:Hey DTR, have you ever considered that posting the entire contents of all these articles without proper permission or even a link back to the source is copyright infringement? I'm only mentioning this as it may have an impact on the owners of the gmhockey.com web site if these sites start to notice all of their content being posted here as opposed to just snippets with appropriate references etc...

As this is not a paid site, and the sources are properly credited, re-posting is considered 'fair use'. Hope that answers your question.
Smile
I'm pretty sure "fair use" only covers portions of materials, not the entire article being re-posted. And whether or not this is a paid site has no impact. But, whatever.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:

Smile

The Supreme Court addressed this question in CCH Canadian Ltd. v. Law Society of Upper Canada (2004).

From Wikipedia:

It ... establishes six principal criteria for evaluating fair dealing.

1. The Purpose of the Dealing Is it for research, private study, criticism, review or news reporting? It expresses that "these allowable purposes should not be given a restrictive interpretation or this could result in the undue restriction of users' rights."
  2. The Character of the Dealing How were the works dealt with? Was there a single copy or were multiple copies made? Were these copies distributed widely or to a limited group of people? Was the copy destroyed after its purpose was accomplished? What are the normal practices of the industry?
  3. The Amount of the Dealing How much of the work was used? What was the importance of the infringed work? Quoting trivial amounts may alone sufficiently establish fair dealing. In some cases even quoting the entire work may be fair dealing.
  4. Alternatives to the Dealing Was a "non-copyrighted equivalent of the work" available to the user? Could the work have been properly criticized without being copied?
  5. The Nature of the Work Copying from a work that has never been published could be more fair than from a published work "in that its reproduction with acknowledgement could lead to a wider public dissemination of the work - one of the goals of copyright law. If, however, the work in question was confidential, this may tip the scales towards finding that the dealing was unfair."
  6. Effect of the Dealing on the Work Is it likely to affect the market of the original work? "Although the effect of the dealing on the market of the copyright owner is an important factor, it is neither the only factor nor the most important factor that a court must consider in deciding if the dealing is fair." A statement that a dealing infringes may not be sufficient, but evidence will often be required.

I would argue that #1 and #3 together are sufficient to allow the use of the quotes are they are being done.

But I'm not a lawyer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum