GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

+8
asq2
SensFan71
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
beedub
shabbs
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

WINGS VS HAWKS SCP WEST FINAL '09: WHO WINS? HOW MANY GAMES?

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap260%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 60% [ 6 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_lcap220%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:As for your predictions record...well, don't want to embarass yourself anymore than you already have, eh...
Glass house man, glass house... heh heh.

Glass house? My predictions in the playoff brackets have me in the top three, bro.

Besides, 'my' team's still playing...where are yours...all of them, I mean, eh...
Wink
Not for long...

Wink

Boy, Shabbs, you ARE getting desperate... Wink must be the shock from seeing all your picks go up in smoke, eh...
I'll have to check back on my picks to see how they were...

EDIT: Eek. My 2nd round predictions were horrible.. I went 0-4.

Crying

Last edited by shabbs on Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I chose the Hawks as a matter of preference. In a perfect world, both Anaheim and Detroit would have been bounced in round 1, but I had to suffer through seeing the two teams I dislike the most until now. Go away, Detroit.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Separating myth from reality in this series for 'pundits' and fans is going to be interesting.

First off, who expected the Blackhawks to be here?

How about...NOBODY...except people who KNOW this team.

So...whatever the Hawks achieve...is a net bonus. They have made themselves, their organization, the Black Hawks legends, and their stalwart, loyal, long suffering fans, proud.

A great ride...and not over yet.

OK...about the series.

Many, many factors to consider...but this has the potential to go seven, and go either way. I've watched both of these teams assiduously throughout the year, and there is no doubt in my mind about that.

May the best team win.

And what truly great teams they are...

Both teams have reached into their rich legacies to create a Championship culture that inspires the players.

They know, once a Stanley Cup Champion, always a Champion. The spirit of Champions keeps you hungry...and humble.

The members of this year's teams look back at the achievements of those who have come before them...and they know that to be a Blackhawk or a Red Wing, is more than special.

As the cliche goes, but oh so true--they play for the symbol on the front of the jersey, not the name and number on the back.

I believe, as many do, that Detroit has the finest system-oriented team in the NHL. They ARE the benchmark for organizational excellence, and the integration of their talent into a superbly efficient hockey machine is unparalleled.

The Blackhawks, thanks to the vision and diligence of Dale Tallon--and the support and efforts of the entire Hawks executive--have looked at Detroit (and Anaheim, by the way) as that benchmark and said: "What do we need to do--and need to be--to beat the best of the best?"

The answer is a team as skilled as Detroit, and as physical as Anaheim.

And let's be honest...the Wings only just pulled it out in the battle against the Ducks.

If one looks objectively at each team, the matchups at each position, and the key factors, lead to a logical conclusion that this will be an excellent and very competitive series.

The Master Meets The Student? An interesting metaphor, and not inappropriate.

The Old Guard Vs The New Wave? Could be.

The Wings have experience and discipline on their side...the Hawks have the strength and boldness of youth.

Each team has its weaknesses, and the ability to exploit and capitalize on those weaknesses will determine the outcome.

Even the most diehard, blood red Wings fan will admit that. They are talking about the Hawks on their message boards right now...and they know Chicago is an underdog that must be taken seriously.

The usual bluster notwithstanding...and it will come from both camps. After all, these teams go back to 1926 together.

Probably the greatest rivalry in the NHL...ever.

And there are interesting parallels between this series...and the Wings-Hawks Cup Final in '61...

Intangibles? You got 'em.

Wings fans like to talk about how Detroit has the ability to 'raise its game'.

And we have seen that the Chicago Blackhawks--in their end of season push, home and home victories over the Wings, and dramatic, gruelling series against Calgary and Vancouver, arguably the toughest opposition in the West--have also found the way to raise their game.

Scotty Bowman is another element that favours the Blackhawks. Scotty knows more about winning Stanley Cups than any coach in NHL history. He sees the game in a way that is extraordinary.

He knows the Wings. He helped build them.

And now he's helping to build the Blackhawks.

If the Hawks can steal the Wings' lunch at the Joe on Sunday... cool) it all gets VERY interesting.

Here Come The Hawks.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Great teams like the Wings, Penguins, Habs and now potentially the Hawks helped build Bowman into the mythical figure he is.

I like the Hawks, but I'm more inclined to give credit the players, the coach and the management team that really built this team.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Great teams like the Wings, Penguins, Habs and now potentially the Hawks helped build Bowman into the mythical figure he is.

I like the Hawks, but I'm more inclined to give credit the players, the coach and the management team that really built this team.

Agree with you on that point...110%.

Tallon is the architect, but as he would be the first to say, his executive group--and the quality/character of the players--have been central to this process.

The point I was making about Bowman is that the fact he has helped build both teams makes for some interesting discussion...about what, if any strategic edge, his knowledge base might give the Hawks...or, for that matter, if that helps the Wings...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Great teams like the Wings, Penguins, Habs and now potentially the Hawks helped build Bowman into the mythical figure he is.

Agree with you on that point...110%.

Tallon is the architect, but as he would be the first to say, his executive group--and the quality/character of the players--have been central to this process.

The point I was making about Bowman is that the fact he has helped build both teams makes for some interesting discussion...about what, if any strategic edge, his knowledge base might give the Hawks...or, for that matter, if that helps the Wings...

Fair enough. Whatever it takes not to have a repeat of Big Nose Chelios not wanting to pass the Cup around so it can be all about him again. What a tool.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hilarious...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Hilarious...

I think Hank farted. :00:

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

A little known fact....

The first testicular guard "Cup" was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974.

It took 100 years for men to realize that the brain is also important.

:^^^^:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just to add to my prediction, I think Detroit will win in the end, but I will be rooting for the Hawks.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Chicago Sun-Times' Len Ziehm does his breakdown of the Hawks-Wings matchup:

How the Blackhawks, Red Wings match up
Len Ziehm breaks down the Blackhawks-Red Wings series

May 15, 2009
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1575332,CST-SPT-hmatch15.article

Forwards
The Wings are explosive with Marian Hossa, Henrik Zetterberg (above), Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen all big-time offensive threats.
EDGE: Wings.

Defensemen
Detroit has the best of the lot in Nicklas Lidstrom (right) but the Hawks' blue-liners have improved steadily and have been playing their best hockey in the playoffs. EDGE: Hawks

Goaltender
The Hawks' Nikolai Khabibulin is clearly better than Chris Osgood, Detroit's main goalie.
EDGE: Hawks

Power play
The Wings are the best team in the NHL with the man advantage. The Hawks have been effective in the postseason but are inconsistent.
EDGE: Wings.

Penalty killing
Detroit ranked 25th in the 30-team NHL during the regular season, while the Hawks tied for 17th. EDGE: Hawks.

Coaching
Detroit's Mike Babc0ck has won a Stanley Cup. The Hawks' Joel Quenneville hasn't gotten beyond a conference final. EDGE: Wings.

Prediction
The Hawks won the last two regular-season meetings and had two more days of rest heading into this series. Hawks in six.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

And this snappy comeback today from Steve Schrader at The Detroit Free Press:

BLACKHAWKS ARE NEXT: BEWARE THE SCOTTY

Ken Daniels didn't sign off from FSD's final Red Wings telecast this season without leaving a word of advice for the Western Conference finals matchup with the Chicago Blackhawks.

"I think with Scotty Bowman coming to town, the Red Wings should put him in a suite and paint it right before he gets here," Daniels said. "Fresh paint, Scotty."

Yeah, in addition to the young, fast Blackhawks, that's another thing the Wings have to worry about: old, tricky Scotty.

What's he going to pull? Make them play at Wrigley again? Or what deep, dark secrets does he know about any Wings weaknesses?

But other than that, it's great, isn't it, the rebirth of an old rivalry and the Wings' first Original Six playoff series since 1995, when they beat the Blackhawks in the conference finals?

Both sides now

Speaking of old rivals, the Wings' Chris Chelios was in that '95 series, except he played for the bad guys, his hometown Blackhawks.

How old does that make Cheli, anyway? SI.com asked one of his buddies and fellow Chicagoans, actor John Cusack, for a story on Cheli's Malibu Mob.

"Chris Chelios is the oldest man in the world," Cusack said. "He's actually 792 years old. He's Methuselah Chelios. When the Blackhawks traded him away, I just followed him to Detroit and I think he's going to play here forever."

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Hawks in 7, make it a thriller series, but I don't think I have been right yet on the number of games yet, so don't take my word for anything. Laughing3

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Why we LOVE hockey fans...

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Hawks_12

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Why we LOVE hockey fans...

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Page 2 Hawks_12

if's the Friday the 13th convention crossed with the Stanley Cup playoffs, if the games are at Crystal Lake, count me out Ahhhhh!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Boo hoo hoo, Detroit in 6 I think.

I hope I'm wrong...

I WANT A PITTS/HAWKS FINAL!!!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm all over the place with this series. I think the Hawks can beat them, but I think the Wings' experience will be the deciding factor.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Go Wings!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum