GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET

+7
asq2
SensFan71
Hockeyhero22000
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET ChiChicago at GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET DetDetroit

GAME TWO, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WEST SEMIFINALS
RED WINGS LEAD SERIES 1-0

7:30 PM ET, May 19, 2009
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan

TSN/RDS/Versus

DETROIT (AP/ESPN CHICAGO) -- Patrick Kane glanced at the scoresheet and noticed he was one of three Chicago Blackhawks held without a shot by the Detroit Red Wings after Game 1 of the Western Conference finals.

"This isn't good," Kane recalled saying.

No, that isn't what you're looking for if you play, coach or root for the Blackhawks.

The defending Stanley Cup champion Red Wings have been winning without getting goals from usually reliable scorers
Pavel Datsyuk, Marian Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom.

Kane, though, acknowledged Chicago can't be successful if he's held without a point as he was in Detroit's 5-2 win Sunday.

"That's why I was brought in here as a draft pick," Kane, the first overall selection in 2007, said Monday. "I'm not out there to be blocking shots and fighting guys."

The reigning NHL Rookie of the Year scored eight goals over the first two rounds against Calgary and Vancouver, but quickly found out his crafty moves and soft hands can be negated by Detroit.

Kane was held without a shot after getting blanked in the column just three times during the regular season, including once last month against the Red Wings.

When Kane has the puck, he has to deal with six-time Norris Trophy winning defenseman Nick Lidstrom in his face and a slew of backchecking forwards.

"Every time I got the puck, it seemed like two or three guys were collapsing on me," Kane said.

Jonathan Toews knows the feeling.

The Blackhawks' other young star also discovered playing the Flames or Canucks isn't quite like facing Detroit as he was held to three shots and no points in the series opener.

"It's a different game now," said Toews, who contributed a combined 10 points in the first two rounds. "Everything is a little tighter.

"We didn't play well enough against their best players. But we can play looser because it's not going to get worse than that."

Actually, it might.

When Detroit wants to shut down a star or two, it usually can.

During the Stanley Cup finals last year, Pittsburgh's
Sidney Crosby was held without a point in the first two games of the series and scored in just one of the six games while teammate Evgeni Malkin went four games without a point and scored only in the finale.

Detroit's
Henrik Zetterberg was named MVP of the playoffs in part for his play at the defensive end against the Penguins.

His best play might've been when he clamped down on Crosby's stick near the net, denying him during a Pittsburgh 5-on-3 power play to seal one of Detroit's victories.

"Scoring goals is probably is a little bit more fun," Zetterberg said. "But the chance to play against good players and keep them from scoring is fun, too."

Zetterberg insisted he didn't know Kane had as many shots as the fans in the stands Sunday, but said the fact was misleading.

"I thought he was dangerous a few times," Zetterberg said. "When you give him time and space, he will create something out of nothing. I don't think he played as bad as everyone says."

The Red Wings are saying much of the same about Datsyuk, Hossa and Holmstrom.
Datsyuk, an MVP finalist, hasn't scored in the last 10 games of the playoffs. Hossa, who had a team-high 40 goals in the regular season, has scored in just two of 12 games this postseason. Holmstrom hasn't contributed a point in the eight games since he had two goals and two assists in the first-round sweep against Columbus.

"As long as we're winning," Detroit coach Mike Wang said, "I'm not concerned."

Detroit has rarely had to worry about its top stars carrying the team because of its depth as Chicago coach Joel Quenneville has seen up close four times in the playoffs since 1997.

The Red Wings have eliminated Quenneville-coached teams in each of their last four championship seasons, sending him home three times when he led St. Louis and last year as he led Colorado.

Quenneville said the salary cap created after the lockout did nothing to diminish Detroit's ability to get scoring from all four lines.

"There hasn't been any drop-off over the different teams they've had," Quenneville said. "Not too many teams in the league have as many guys that can make plays.

"That's a compliment to the organization. But at the same time I'm not dishing out compliments here, we want to beat them."

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET Wings_10

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone explain what the *hell* is happening at the CBC? Why weren't either of the first two games of the Conference Finals on CBC? My 3 month freebie for TSN-HD ran out on the 15th. Luckily NBC had the first Detroit game. But last night I had to put up with the warm and fuzzies (not in a good way) of SD hockey.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This should be an interesting series if the Hawks can get up off the mat and play like they've shown they can. Even if the next game doesn't go there way I have a feeling that some home cooking will be just what these Hawks need to get right back in it.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hmm, ya, Les Blackhawks do seem to have that extra 'spring' in their skates because of the ambiance in Chicago...and the support of their home crowd...

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET Blackh15

But we shall see... cool)

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Except that can only help both teams right? Seriously though what I was alluding to in my home cooking reference was the ability to line match, having last change etc... The Wings took advantage of some favourable line matching that they may not get away with in Chi town.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Yes, the Wings do have a certain advantage at home...not least of which is the talented Miss Karen Newman singing the National Anthem.

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET Karen_11

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tonight is a test of determination...to see if these Hawks follow in the tradition of their antecedents...and if the hunger to win demonstrated by the legends is passed on them.

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET Winnin10

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dave, where is Shania? I was in the checkout line recently, and the recently nominated most beautiful Canadian was gracing the front page of some magazine. The caption read that she feels most beautiful when getting out of the shower. Don't know about you, but I don't think we should just take her word for it.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think the Hawks will need more than Shania to save them Wink

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Havlat misses practice, seen walking with a limp:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4175604&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

He will play, though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hawks better be quick dtudies:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Chicago/2009/05/19/9498186-sun.html

By RANDY SPORTAK, SUN MEDIA

DETROIT -- Had Jonathan Toews stayed at North Dakota, he'd have just completed his senior year.
Patrick Kane, had he gone that route, would be celebrating he has just one more year of college left.
Still, you don't have to wear a letterman's jacket to receive some lessons.
Not when you're in the Western Conference final against the Detroit Red Wings.
When the dust settled on the series opener, Toews, Kane and the
rest of the Chicago Blackhawks knew they were taken to school by the
veteran Red Wings.
Tonight's second game of the best-of-seven affair is a chance
for the Hawks to show how quickly they can complete their studies.
Lesson One was puck possession. The Wings have beat all kinds
of teams by pouncing on turnovers and turning them into scoring
chances.
The official gamesheet said the Blackhawks had only one
giveaway, but it was a big topic of discussion throughout the dressing
room yesterday.
"It's never fun to give up possession against a team like that
because they're going to make such smart plays and aren't going to give
the puck back to you," Toews said.
"You need to be hungry to keep that puck and not give it up."
Lesson Two was about being battle-ready. Yesterday's practice for the Blackhawks was at a very high tempo.
"Our practice (Saturday in Chicago), there was a lot of sloppy passing and the pace was pretty slow," Kane said.
"I don't know if that had to do with the days off or whatever,
but today we were flying out there, the pace was pretty good. We kinda
treated it like it was a game, and that was important.
"Hopefully it'll help us next game."
Maybe the biggest lesson at this time of year, however, is the importance of the game between the ears.
As much as the Blackhawks can dissect their opening game
performance and lament turnovers, missed chances and the like, the fact
is they reached the Western Conference final on merit.
They can't forget what brought them this far, or be
intimidated by the more experienced Red Wings -- something head coach
Joel Quenneville was also trying to instruct.
"They know the meaning of where we're at right now, and I
think we've got to acquire that appetite and taste immediately," he
said.
"But I don't think we should be in awe or put them on a
different pedestal. I think we've proven at the end of the year we can
beat them.
"We know how we have to go about it. We've got to do things right."
The Red Wings are sure bracing for a hungrier Blackhawks team tonight at the Joe Louis Arena.
"They're going to come out with another strong push (tonight) again," said Wings captain Nicklas Lidstom.
"They feel it's only one game and have a chance to get back in the series.
"We expect them to come out with a good effort again."

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Tonight is a test of determination...to see if these Hawks follow in the tradition of their antecedents...and if the hunger to win demonstrated by the legends is passed on them.

According to Mike Brophy the "clock has struck midnight on the Cinderella Hawks...". What a fool. This is not a Cinderella team. They're just plain good.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

From IceChips:

Several players did not take the ice Monday for Blackhawks practice.
Matt Walker continues to recover from a dislocated finger while Sammy
Pahlsson is suffering the after effects of mononucleosis. Forward
Martin Havlat and defenceman Duncan Keith also sat out. Head coach Joel
Quenneville expects them all to play in Game 2 Tuesday. - Chicago Sun Times

How effective can a checker with mono be?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:Tonight is a test of determination...to see if these Hawks follow in the tradition of their antecedents...and if the hunger to win demonstrated by the legends is passed on them.

According to Mike Brophy the "clock has struck midnight on the Cinderella Hawks...". What a fool. This is not a Cinderella team. They're just plain good.

Yep, Brophy is going way out on a limb, there. I still think the Hawks lose this series, though.

Couldn't find a crystal hockey skate, so this will have to do:
GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY MAY 19, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 730PM ET 422

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:From IceChips:

Several players did not take the ice Monday for Blackhawks practice.
Matt Walker continues to recover from a dislocated finger while Sammy
Pahlsson is suffering the after effects of mononucleosis. Forward
Martin Havlat and defenceman Duncan Keith also sat out. Head coach Joel
Quenneville expects them all to play in Game 2 Tuesday. - Chicago Sun Times

How effective can a checker with mono be?

Effective enough to help shut down and beat the Canucks and Flames, evidently. But then, Sami Pahlsson isn't doing anything Steve Mason didn't do...which is turn in a thoroughly professional performance.

Let's be real here, folks.

There's no doubt the Blackhawks will have to play the best hockey of their lives--and better than they have imagined themselves being capable of--if they want to have a chance to win against the World Champion Red Wings.

Finally, this is NOT--I repeat NOT--a 'Cinderella' team. 3rd best record in the Western Conference. 6th of 30 teams in the league.

The Blackhawks have come this far because they are as good as Mike Wang says they are...which is VERY good indeed.

So put away the glass slippers...save 'em for another club and another year.

Time to rock n' roll...and let the ice chips fall where they may.

:D:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum