GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, SUNDAY MAY 24, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--DETROIT AT CHICAGO, 300PM ET/2PM CHICAGO

+2
shabbs
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: SCP '09, SUNDAY MAY 24, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--DETROIT AT CHICAGO, 300PM ET/2PM CHICAGO DetDetroit at GAME DAY: SCP '09, SUNDAY MAY 24, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--DETROIT AT CHICAGO, 300PM ET/2PM CHICAGO ChiChicago

GAME FOUR, 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WEST SEMIFINAL
RED WINGS LEAD SERIES 2-1

3:00 PM ET, May 24, 2009
United Center, Chicago, Illinois

CBC/NBC/RDS

Red Wings-Blackhawks Preview

CHICAGO (AP/ESPN) -- A jarring hit from Detroit's Niklas Kronwall, one that flattened Chicago's Martin Havlat, has put a new spin on the Western Conference finals.

It most likely knocked Havlat, the Blackhawks' points leader, out for Sunday's Game 4 and spiked emotions between the old Original Six rivals.

"Marty didn't have the puck," Chicago defenseman Brian Campbell said Saturday. "If he hit Marty and hit him clean, that's fine. That happens. ... It's just how he hits. You can see his forearms coming up and his hands are coming up and he's lunging forward and jumping into the guy."

Kronwall received a five-minute interference penalty and was ejected from Friday night's Game 3 in which the Blackhawks pulled out a 4-3 overtime victory.

Campbell was asked if Kronwall should watch out Sunday for any retaliation.

"I don't know what will happen to him, but I'm sure there won't be one check not finished on him," Campbell said.

Not only will the Blackhawks likely go without Havlat -- who had 77 points this season and has 15 more in the playoffs -- they'll probably start backup goalie Cristobal Huet in place of Nikolai Khabibulin.

Khabibulin played the first two periods Friday before leaving with an injury. Huet replaced him and was able to stop a Red Wings' surge that had produced three quick second-period goals and wiped out Chicago's 3-0 lead.

Huet held the Red Wings scoreless in the third, and Patrick Sharp's goal less than two minutes into overtime gave the Blackhawks the win and cut Detroit's series lead to 2-1.

Detroit coach Mike Babc0ck said Kris Draper, hurt for most of the playoffs, would be out again Sunday. And star center Pavel Datsyuk, who missed Game 3 with a sore foot, would probably be a game-time decision again.

Havlat was looking down for the puck near the boards in the first period Friday when Kronwall hit him at full speed, smashing him to the ice in a heap. A dazed Havlat stayed down for several minutes before he was helped off the ice. He didn't return.

"The way I felt things happened, the puck went off the wall and he went to pick it up. I stepped in and he never saw me come. He never touched the puck, but I felt like the puck was right there," Kronwall said Saturday.

Told that some of the Blackhawks, especially Campbell, thought it was a dirty play, Kronwall said, "I think I would have felt the same way if someone did that to one of my teammates. It's unfortunate he got hurt and that's how it is."

Asked if he hit Havlat in the head, Kronwall said: "Maybe that's why he got knocked out. I don't know."

Chicago coach Joel Quenneville didn't directly address reports that Havlat may have lost consciousness when he first crumbled to the ice. He said doctors are monitoring his condition.

"We're not going to discuss the injury," Quenneville said. "His health is going to be the first criteria before he's even going to be considered to be playing."

Babc0ck reiterated Saturday his stance from a night earlier: Kronwall's hit was not a cheap shot. It was a legitimate check and should have not resulted in the five-minute penalty and game misconduct.

"Coaches have bad games. Players have bad games. The league doesn't let referees have bad games. So has there ever been a bad call? Accountability," Babc0ck said.

"To me, that wasn't a head shot. So I don't think you should be hunting anyone's head," he added. "I think that's real important. But I also think it's a contact sport. And the puck was coming around the wall. He saw it coming. He turned, chose not to play it with his stick, was letting it come through his feet. Kronwall stepped up on it. That's hockey."

Huet got a four-year, $22.5 million deal as a free agent last summer. The Blackhawks eventually put Khabibulin on waivers, but when no deal could be made to move him, he stuck around. They split time during the regular season, but Khabibulin won the starter's job for the playoffs. Huet's appearance Friday was his first in the postseason this year.

"Coming in the third in a 3-3 tie wasn't something I'd ever experienced and not something I'd recommend," Huet said Saturday, adding that he's expecting to start Sunday, even though no announcement was made.

"Now it's a little different," he added. "I'm going to have to prepare tonight knowing I'm going to play (Sunday) -- I guess."

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From the Detroit Free Press yesteday:

View from Detroit: Wings to try to French fry Huet

Michael Rosenberg/Detroit Free Press, 6:25 PM CDT, May 23, 2009

Blackhawks goalie Nikolai Khabibulin is out with a "lower-body injury," the kind of hockey non-term that leads to some great interaction between reporters and team officials. ("Can he walk? Can he hop? Does it hurt when he uses the toilet?") All we know for sure is that while Nikolai nurses his Khabibulin (that's Russian for "lower-body injury") the Red Wings will try to beat his replacement, Cristobal Huet.

This, of course, will require some major adjustments by the Wings. Right?

"Not really," said Wings captain Nick Lidstrom, and I tried to correct him, but he was too busy acting like he knows more about hockey than I do. "They're both butterfly goalies. They're both kind of big. You have to beat them with the same approach."

Officially, Khabibulin might play. But he skipped Saturday's practice and Huet said he assumes he will get his first playoff start.

Huet is the lone Frenchmen in the NHL, and as Wings coach Mike Wang pointed out Friday and Saturday, the Blackhawks signed him last summer to be the starter. They tried to trade Khabibulin. Instead, they got stuck with two high-priced goalies, and Khabibulin earned the job.

Then, last week, Khabibulin injured his lower body in a gardening accident. (I actually just made up that part about a gardening accident, in the hopes that some Blackhawks employee will tell me it WASN'T a gardening accident, and I can report that as breaking news.) Khabibulin tried to make a go of it in Game 3, but after three pucks ended up on the wrong side of his lower body, he was pulled in favor of Huet.

So now Huet got a chance to replace the Bulin Wall. (By the way, I am now using Section Six, Paragraph IV or the Columnist's Ego Act to decree that from now on, Huet should be known as the "Huet Blanket." Isn't that a great nickname for a goalie? Of course, this would require him to change the pronunciation of his last name, from hew-AY to hew-ET. But according to Section Seven, Paragraph XII of the Columnist's Ego Act, that is not my problem.)

This is all precisely as Huet imagined when he signed with the Blackhawks. Right?

"Usually you don't skip the first and second round," he pointed out with a smile.

Um, yeah. There is that.

Huet stopped six shots in almost 22 minutes of play and was quick to point out Saturday that "I wasn't really tested. My biggest challenge is going to be tomorrow."

And what if he meets that challenge? What if he makes a big save and the raucous United Center crowd chants his name?

"I don't care," he said, and before the words left his mouth, he realized there were at least 9,000 better ways to say that he will stay focused. "I mean, it's not that I don't care, because the crowd is always a big influence for us. But you can't look at that. You have to stay focused."

Much better, Cristobal. In truth, Huet has been welcomed back precisely because he does care -- even after signing to be the starter and losing his job, he kept working and didn't complain.

The Blackhawks won't say how long it will take Khabibulin's lower body to heal. In the meantime, the Wings will try to turn Huet into French toast. And this time, he has a full day to mentally prepare.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The view from ESPN's Chicago correspondent:

Getting to Osgood
It appeared the Hawks flustered Chris Osgood in Game 3. Do the same in Game 4.

May 23, 2009, 10:08 PM/Al Cimaglia, ESPN

According to comments from head coach Joel Quenneville, Nikolai Khabibulin was feeling better and he might be able to play tomorrow as the Blackhawks try to hold serve at home and tie the Western Conference Finals.

Forward
Martin Havlat was also doing better according to Quenneville and the medical staff will continue with their evaluations. A decision will be made tomorrow on whether he can play as well. Hawk fans should feel fortunate if one of those two can make it back into the lineup without missing a game.

If the Hawks can somehow find a way to win without either Havlat or Nikolai Khabibulin, they will gain valuable postseason experience. Playing a pivotal Game 5 in Detroit on Wednesday night would be a priceless experience for this young group. Beyond the experience factor, a win on Sunday and the Hawks will have a legitimate chance of winning the series.

It will be an uphill battle to beat the Wings without both Havlat and Khabibulin, but stranger things have happened this season. At this point nothing can be doubted, and maybe the Hawks are starting to wear on the Red Wings.

The Wings made a point of coming out and being a physical force on Friday night and that really isn't their strong suit. If nothing else it seems the Blackhawks have caused the Red Wings to change their tactics. The Wings have the possible loss of
Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper to deal with in Game 4 also.

If the Hawks are going to be successful
Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd and others have to take the puck to the Wings' net on regular basis. Detroit netminder Chris Osgood didn't have a great game and appeared more uncomfortable and agitated on Friday night than at any other time in the series.

For the first time the Blackhawks goalie was the best netminder on the ice. The Hawks will need to make life difficult for Osgood and hope that he keeps leaving rebounds -- provided they convert those opportunities.

If
Cristobal Huet sees action, he will be tested and must be up to the physical pressure the Wings will be applying. Huet has had trouble with pucks around his crease and he will have to be sharp because the Wings love to crash the net.

I think Khabibulin may have a better chance of playing than Havlat on Sunday. If Marty can't perform Chicago will need to simplify their power play. Quenneville will also have to find another player who can be as defensively responsible as Havlat to fill in with forwards
Dave Bolland and Andrew Ladd.

Once again the Chicago bench boss may have to juggle his lineup until he finds the most effective combinations. Another fast start won't hurt the Hawks but more important is a consistent effort in every period.

Injuries are part of hockey in general and can be a deciding factor in the playoffs especially. The Hawks will have to build off their energy from Friday night and find a way to win, no matter who is the lineup.

Money Matters

Brian Campbell has faced his share of criticism this season. Some of it deserved, some of it enhanced because of the fat contract Campbell signed this past July. I like to analyze salary cap ramifications and Campbell's $57 million contract could bear tough consequences for the Blackhawks down the road. For now one fact is apparent: Campbell has been the best Chicago defenseman throughout the post season.

It isn't Brian's fault his contract is inflated compared to others with similar ability.

He shouldn't be lambasted for accepting the money, although I could easily make a case that a more realistic salary for Campbell would be about $2.5 million less each year.

Although the atmosphere now surrounding the Blackhawks organization is vibrant and optimistic it was the exact opposite not very long ago. Campbell was at the top of a short list of highly sought after unrestricted free agents last July 1. Dale Tallon and his superiors wanted Campbell for many reasons and they weren't going to be denied.

Because of supply and demand factors and that the Hawks still had to pay a bad team premium to attract fee agents, Campbell received his lucrative eight-year deal. The previous big-name player acquired in a sign-and-trade deal and paid over market value was Havlat. At that time the Blackhawks' environment reeked of pessimism and apathy, so again it took a monetary incentive for a player to choose to play here.

The next case of a current Blackhawk player being in the right place at the right time to benefit with a long-term, high-value contract is goalie Cristobal Huet.

Once again the case could be made Huet is paid well over his market value, especially considering he inked a four-year deal.

I am not sure why fans get more frustrated when considering a given players performance if he has signed a fat contract. Maybe fans get more perturbed because they feel somehow they are ultimately the ones who will pay for the multi-million dollar deals. In some ways that is correct.

The ticket prices at the United Center did go up, but once again the environment changed. Does anyone believe that prices were going to stay the same after the increase in last year's attendance and the renewed interest in the Blackhawks?

Once again it becomes a case of supply and demand plus tickets price were over due to be increased in Chicago. Hawks ticket prices were most likely on the way up regardless of the Campbell and Huet signings.

Now both Campbell and Huet are front and center and could be key players in this year's possible playoff upset of the Red Wings.

Campbell has been the Blackhawks' most consistent defender throughout the postseason. In the current series Campbell has played between 25 and 27 minutes of ice time. It is not the top pair defenders (
Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook) who have been called on most often by Joel Quenneville in recent games.
I don't know how to quantify what a 10-point, plus-3 playoff rating is worth but in total Campbell's stats are better than any other Hawk blueliner.

Cristobal Huet has had a fine year.

Was his performance throughout the regular season better than Khabibulin? No, but that doesn't mean he did not have a solid campaign. I'm not implying his 20-15-4 record justifies a four-year, $22.5 million contract but that should be of little concern for Hawk loyalists today.

What's important now is that Huet accepted his role as a postseason back-up and never became a distraction to the club. He did not put himself above the team and by all accounts stayed diligent and continued to work hard in practice.

I was told by someone connected with the club following Friday's win that there never was any question about Huet being ready to step in if needed in the playoffs. Huet has always had a professional work ethic and stayed committed to his job.

Some will say it is easy to work hard in practice when you make an extraordinary sum of money. In the same regard it could be just as easy to not stay focused when you have a secure financial future guaranteed. Both Campbell and Huet have dealt with criticism and have stayed intent on the task at hand.

For now that should be good enough for Blackhawk fans especially if those two continue to be top performers in this series.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If both Havlat and Bulin are out... the Hawks are going to have to dig deep to get a win.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The intro to The Fratellis' 'Chelsea Dagger' has been adopted as the Blackhawks' goal scoring song...

The Hawks will be aiming to hear that tune played as many times as possible this afternoon...and the crowd at the United Center will be ready to sing along.

Maybe the biggest challenge of their careers today for these Blackhawks.

And there isn't a Hawks fan anywhere who isn't on the edge of their seat already...even though the puck doesn't drop for another four hours.

:##:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Game time news:

Nick Lidstrom did not take part in the warm-up.

It is said Datsyuk and Draper will not play.

Cristo Huet starts in goal.

Marty Havlat will play.

The Warriors of the Blackhawk Tribe must call on the Spirit of Chief Black Hawk, for whom they are named.

May the courage and cunning of Black Sparrow Hawk, Sauk Makataimeshekiakiak, Chief of the Sauk tribe, be with them.

GAME DAY: SCP '09, SUNDAY MAY 24, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--DETROIT AT CHICAGO, 300PM ET/2PM CHICAGO Chief_11

LET'S GO BLACKHAWKS.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

It will be interesting to see how Huet plays...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

A VERY disappointing period for the Hawks. The Wings have played a textbook road game, and the Blackhawks have dug themselves into a BIG hole. Bad puck management by them, lack of focus and lack of energy.

Huet is coming in after a long absence, so he needs better support from his D. He made some strong saves but Chicago has given Detroit too many quality chances.

The Warriors of The Blackhawk Tribe can't screw around. They are going have to suck it up and get their $hit together...fast.

Wow, not looking too good for the Hawks right now. Huet looks like he hasn't played much in 6 weeks or so. Oh wait.....nm.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Pretty simple really.

Not taking anything away from the Red Wings...the Blackhawks have played a truly ATROCIOUS game today.

They had the best possible chance to beat the Wings--with Lidstrom out--and so far, they have simply blown it.

You can't blame Huet for this one. The Hawks have generated nothing offensively, and given the Wings all the time and space they need.

Impossible to explain...totally baffling. And the fans are in shock, as you would expect.

Still one period left...but it will take a superhuman effort to turn this one around.

Oh no, seabrook hobbling off the ice ....

Nah he ok, i see him skating around again ...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Former Hawk d-man and current Hawks TV analyst Steve Konroyd led an on-line discussion--in which I participated--on Comcast Chicago today. His take on this game was pretty blunt:

"There was a two minute span at the end of the 1st period and beginning of the 2nd period that really sank us. We lost our composure. We have been calm and cool throughout the postseason, but today we lost our cool."

An almost surrealistically bad performance by Chicago.

And two game misconducts...one to Eager, one to Versteeg. The shame of it all is that this could be the last game for them at the UC this year.

The fans committed 100% to these guys...after they have played the Champions so close in what had been a great series so far.

But the Hawks did not 'Commit to the Indian' today.

This was the kind of game that prompted Denis Savard last year to rip the Hawks a new one...it was the kind of game that cost the Hawks a playoff spot last year.

No excuses for this one.

You win as a team...you lose as a team.

They lost as a team today.

OK. Wrap it up. Throw it out.

Isn't it over yet. But the mountain is pretty damn steep.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun May 24, 2009 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Man, why did I decide to watch NBC's coverage?

"This is one of those learning lessons for the 'Hawks."
-Pierre McGuire

Facepalm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

6-1 Detroit? Holy crap! I have not seen any highlights yet. Wow. How bad was it?

Stick a fork in them Hawks Warriors... they're done.

Dayum...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum