GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

IIHF: Gold Medal Game: Canada vs Russia - 2:15pm EST Sun. May 10th, 2009

+3
Sp00nz
asq2
shabbs
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Neely4Life wrote:This tournament ment jack S*** except for guys like Doughty and Stamkos.

Worst WC in recent year, awful compition, and this is a none factor win or lose in every sense.
It was a huge tournament for guys like Weber and St Louis. Not a lot of people had St Louis on their lists earlier in the season and the battle on D is going to be intense with only 7-8 spots open. They both took themselves off the bubble a little bit and made it far more likely that they'll be on the roster for 2010.

Personally, I would've had Weber on my list regardless (and I suspect Team Canada management felt the same) but St Louis really made me think.

I think St Louis after the season he had in Tampa was on everyone radar. I dont think this tournament changed a thing in terms of The Olympic team, but a guy like Doughty, the way he dominated at times, could very well be taken along as the 7th guy if injuries arise. More than impressed with him.

This was still the worst group of teams in a long time at the WC though, from Hungry to Russia. Coby Armstrong was on Canada FFS.

lmao :^^^^:

St Louis may have been on the radar, but I don't think I saw one single person who even had him as a reserve on their roster... actually maybe McGuire had him on his roster, but thats it.

I dunno, never really came off mine. The media for the most part has a "flavour of the day" attitude.

I think another guy that might have very well played himself into a role on Team Canada or at least into consideration was Fisher who had a good tournament. He will be at the selection camp IMO.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I dunno, never really came off mine. The media for the most part has a "flavour of the day" attitude.

I think another guy that might have very well played himself into a role on Team Canada or at least into consideration was Fisher who had a good tournament. He will be at the selection camp IMO.

Fisher had an amazing tournament he seemed to play harder and get better with every game that line was constantly playing in the oppositions zone i hope fish gets a shot from his play

Fisher has a better chance of playing on that olympic team than Spezza does.

Agreed. Barring a 2 PPG start to the season, Spezza won't be on the 2010 roster. Most people outside of Ottawa would have had a roster without Spezza for well over a year...

As for Fisher: I think he'll be at camp, but just don't think he has the skill level necessary to push Morrow (or a Staal, Thornton, Gagne, Carter, Doan, St Louis, etc. off the roster)
It would be pretty awesome, but its still unlikely.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

but they might look to make a line do what the zajac fisher horcoff line did at the WHC in which case he has a good chance

Morrow-Richards-Doan is the Olympics equivalent to Zajac-Fisher-Horcoff.

Its just not happening...

btw McGuire didn't even have St Louis on his list of 13...

edit: Kouleas did, though.

Last edited by cash on Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

cash wrote:Agreed. Barring a 2 PPG start to the season, Spezza won't be on the 2010 roster. Most people outside of Ottawa would have had a roster without Spezza for well over a year...

As for Fisher: I think he'll be at camp, but just don't think he has the skill level necessary to push Morrow (or a Staal, Thornton, Gagne, Carter, Doan, St Louis, etc. off the roster)

I dont think Doan did himself any favours at this tournament, he was awful. I was going to say earlier Fisher's spot on the team may very well depend on how Morrow recovers from his knee injury.

I think Canada will bring a guy like Fisher, Lucic, Morrow, so on. Someone who can bring some energy and chip in here and there. They made that choice in 2002 when they brought Maltby and Drapper and they made the mistake of not brining those types in 2006.

As for Spezza, I cant even think of a scenario where Spezza would be on the team. Hope he enjoys selection camp because thats about as close as he will get.

At the end of the day the Sens may very well have 2 players on Team Canada, but its not who people would have thought a year ago. I really do think Fisher has an outside shot.

cash wrote:Morrow-Richards-Doan is the Olympics equivalent to Zajac-Fisher-Horcoff.

Its just not happening...

Again, I think Doan might have very well played himself off that team.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

doan had one of the worst tournaments that he personally could have

Neely4Life wrote:
cash wrote:Agreed. Barring a 2 PPG start to the season, Spezza won't be on the 2010 roster. Most people outside of Ottawa would have had a roster without Spezza for well over a year...

I dont think Doan did himself any favours at this tournament, he was awful. I was going to say earlier Fisher's spot on the team may very well depend on how Morrow recovers from his knee injury.

I think Canada will bring a guy like Fisher, Lucic, Morrow, so on. Someone who can bring some energy and chip in here and there. They made that choice in 2002 when they brought Maltby and Drapper and they made the mistake of not brining those types in 2006.

As for Spezza, I cant even think of a scenario where Spezza would be on the team. Hope he enjoys selection camp because thats about as close as he will get.

At the end of the day the Sens may very well have 2 players on Team Canada, but its not who people would have thought a year ago. I really do think Fisher has an outside shot.

Yeah I'd agree with all of that, although I think Doan was playing with mismatched linemates: St Louis-Stamkos and Heatley-Spezza aren't players that fit well with Doan...Morrow-Richards would.

No, but it seems he has lost a step or two. I wouldnt call Doan a lock for the Olympics anymore than I would call Fisher one... I think its going to be close for Fish.

I wouldn't call Doan a lock either, but I still have him ahead of Fisher (and believe me, I noticed how good Fisher was and how bad Doan was....)

I dont think I would at this point. I dont think Doan has the ability to get up and down the ice with the guys Canada is going to ice. I think Fisher might have bumped Doan down that ladder, but again, thats just IMO.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i think it is a close call and it depends how the camp and the beginning of next season goes...i dont think it would change much either way they go

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum