GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clouston Extended for 2 years!!

+12
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
top shelf15
PKC
davetherave
LethalLehner
caissie_1
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
jamvan
Cronie
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:11 pm

If it doesnt, we are up the creek for 6 years.

47Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:26 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:If it doesnt, we are up the creek for 6 years.

Not necessarily. A NTC isn't as daunting as a NMC. That's the other side of the coin, if there's indecision, just leave Spezza as is - and if something happens that you're not pleased, moving him can be arranged.

48Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:28 pm

You also limit your options to where he can go with an already bad contract. If he gets moved its before July 1 this year. Not really a question about that I think.

49Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think Spezza for Phaneuf and maybe Jokinen is more likely. Something like that.

Jokinen is horrible. He gave the puck up at center ice at least 3 times yesterday and didn't even bother skating back. Pass!

Phaneuf is equally horrible right now, but I'd take him and hope to goodness that he rebounds (which I think he will).

I'd take both and if it ever did happen and highly unlikely it would. I suspect both would be roasted in Ottawa for their mistakes. Phaneuf is only 23 and is still learning. Joiken even though has been in the league 10 years those years have been primarily on loosing teams. A full season in Calgary is really going to do him wonders.

50Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I seriously don't think Spezza is as tradeable as you guys think. Especially with his NTC still effective in the team he will go to.

51Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
I'd take both and if it ever did happen and highly unlikely it would. I suspect both would be roasted in Ottawa for their mistakes. Phaneuf is only 23 and is still learning. Joiken even though has been in the league 10 years those years have been primarily on loosing teams. A full season in Calgary is really going to do him wonders.

What Jokinen did in the heat of a divisional race (and home ice) last night was just...putrid. Gives it up, then completely slows up and watches as the Canucks come back and score.

It was a play where I was thinking, did I just see that? And lo and behold...it's in the back of the net.

He's got a reputation of being a complete arse-hole in locker rooms - maybe this is why.

52Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've heard the same 'colorful' descriptions of Jokinen myself as well.
and I saw that play you're speaking of Heater. That's something we've seen Spezza do many times before...

53Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:I've heard the same 'colorful' descriptions of Jokinen myself as well.
and I saw that play you're speaking of Heater. That's something we've seen Spezza do many times before...

Gee...Spezza's not the greatest defensively, but at least he tries to struggle back to try to break up the play. Jokinen just drifted towards the Canucks offensive zone.

54Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

What Jokinen did in the heat of a divisional race (and home ice) last night was just...putrid. Gives it up, then completely slows up and watches as the Canucks come back and score.

It was a play where I was thinking, did I just see that? And lo and behold...it's in the back of the net.

He's got a reputation of being a complete arse-hole in locker rooms - maybe this is why.

I havent seen the play but I know they like him in Calgary at the moment.

55Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:30 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

:BB:

It's all falling into place.

56Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:35 pm

504Heater wrote:
Cronie wrote:I've heard the same 'colorful' descriptions of Jokinen myself as well.

Gee...Spezza's not the greatest defensively, but at least he tries to struggle back to try to break up the play. Jokinen just drifted towards the Canucks offensive zone.
Spezza drifts back into the play more than any one player in the entire NHL.

57Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Spezza drifts back into the play more than any one player in the entire NHL.

Yeah, I get the whole Spezza thing, this was much, much worse.

58Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:

I might be in the minority here, but i thought Spezza's defensive play improved this season. He still has a way to go before he's Alfie, but its a step in the right direction for him.

59Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Sp00nz wrote:
cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:

I might be in the minority here, but i thought Spezza's defensive play improved this season. He still has a way to go before he's Alfie, but its a step in the right direction for him.
It has... and given that he's been PPG under Clouston and finally caught up to Heatley in points, I'm still hopeful for his future with this team... but I've never seen someone give up on a play so frequently in my life.
You watch Alfie lose the puck, he's chasing it a quarter of a second later...
You watch Spezza lose the puck and he's standing still for a second and a half...

The only thing Spezza has to do is get his feet moving. If he would work on his acceleration and stop giving up on broken plays, then he would be far more effective all over the ice. And FOR GODD's SAKE: Stops and Starts!!! Its not that tough to do... I've watched 14.5 million dollars circle so many times, I've got Vertigo...

I'm also convinced that his conditioning is weak and needs serious improvements (good luck with that over a summer of marriage and honeymooning...). He looks to be out of breath far too often. He may not ever be physical but he can at least be fit.

All that being said, he's shown too much potential to be a great all around player that I just can't get behind moving him. I've never been more convinced that it would be the wrong thing to do. He's too young and we've endured too much crap with him... He will sort it out next year. Copy it, paste it, save it in the archives... I'm sure of it.

60Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Murray and Clouston were doing a live show on The Team this afternoon, answering calls from fans.

Clouston was his usual positive but managed self. "I can't wait to get the next season started. We've got a lot of things to improve upon," he said.

61Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:12 pm

He deserves it. He's shown enough to warrant a chance to continue his good work. I'll admit, I didn't see this coming the day he was promoted. Good on him.

Can we get rid of Greg Carvel please?

62Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Why the hate for Carvel?

63Clouston Extended for 2 years!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Clouston Extended for 2 years!! Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It's a love fest at Local Heroes in Stittsville as the fans are praising Cory live on the air on The Team...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum