GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just when things were looking bleak to the east

+9
LeCaptain
SensFan71
beedub
shabbs
PTFlea
wprager
Cronie
caissie_1
Jordo
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

How about we wait for Jbo to get the 7 MIllion before comparing him to 7 Million players?
For the record, I would take Jbo anyday of the week (twice on sundays, as usual) over Campbell. Ya know, that dude in Chicago who was supposed to "lift" the Sabres, since 7 Million players are supposed to lift the team, right?

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:How about we wait for Jbo to get the 7 MIllion before comparing him to 7 Million players?
For the record, I would take Jbo anyday of the week (twice on sundays, as usual) over Campbell. Ya know, that dude in Chicago who was supposed to "lift" the Sabres, since 7 Million players are supposed to lift the team, right?

Excuse me, but Campbell HAS lifted the Blackhawks...and you might want to watch a few games.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

The 'Hawks have certainly been lifted this season, but my personal, less informed opinion is that it hasn't really been Campbell's doing.

I haven't been impressed when I watch him, and a lot of Hawk fans over at HF haven't been either.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:The 'Hawks have certainly been lifted this season, but my personal, less informed opinion is that it hasn't really been Campbell's doing.

I haven't been impressed when I watch him, and a lot of Hawk fans over at HF haven't been either.

Don`t get me started on a Campbell debate LOL.

How many Hawks games have you watched?
:KJK:

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:The 'Hawks have certainly been lifted this season, but my personal, less informed opinion is that it hasn't really been Campbell's doing.

Fewer than you have.

But, I've watched quite a bit of Campbell.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm not going to pretend my opinion is as informed as yours. But I feel that the rise of the 'Hawks has more to do with Toews, Versteeg, Keith, Kane, Havlat, Seabrook, etc. etc. etc. before coming to Campbell as a factor.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:No one wants to look at Acouin this summer? Is he over the hill? I haven't noticed him that much in Calgary to be perfectly honest. Seems like a Murray type of guy though.

Yes, IMHO. And to be honest, I never thought that hill was particularly high. Shrug

Laughing3 Fair enough.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
marakh wrote:How about we wait for Jbo to get the 7 MIllion before comparing him to 7 Million players?

Excuse me, but Campbell HAS lifted the Blackhawks...and you might want to watch a few games.

Give Jbo the supporting cast that Chicago has, then we can compare.
I actually watch the games and dont really care about the Stats, and that's why I couldn't care less if Bouwmeester hasn't cracked 50 points.
I still think Jbo is one of the best puck possession Dman and skating in the league.

How about those horrible giveaways by Campbell last season in the playoffs when he was with the Sharks? I've watched all the Flames/Sharks games and most of the Sharks/Stars, he wasn't really looking like a N1 Dman for me.
Or may be to the Sens fans, that Alfie OT goal in Game 5, who was on the ice against him again?
Campbell at more than 7 Million is too much IMO. Id rather have Duncan Keith.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Fewer than you have.

But, I've watched quite a bit of Campbell.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm not going to pretend my opinion is as informed as yours. But I feel that the rise of the 'Hawks has more to do with Toews, Versteeg, Keith, Kane, Havlat, Seabrook, etc. etc. etc. before coming to Campbell as a factor.

ASQ, not trying to lord anything over you BTW cool) ...and as you know I watch every Hawks game...saw them play in Montreal...and am even going to Helsinki to see them in October. Somewhat obsessive, yes I know...LOL

And you are absolutely correct when you say the Blackhawks' success is not due to any ONE player--but to the chemistry and work ethic, not to mention the talent, of the TEAM.

But to be honest, a LOT of so-called 'Hawks fans' have been whining all year about Campbell.

These so-called 'fans' love the sound of their own whining, unlike the true Hawks fans, who applaud and appreciate--while being informed and properly critical--the renaissance of this great franchise, and the emergence of this exciting young team.

These so-called 'fans' complain every time the Hawks have a brain fart, and have already traded every player who has committed one sin or another in their eyes...

Fortunately, these so-called 'fans' don't run the team.

Fact is, Tallon brought Bryan Campbell in for a very specific reason. The Blackhawks are a speed oriented team, and he felt Campbell--who on his best nights has to be one of the slickest, fastest players, let alone defensemen, in the NHL--would give the team an extra offensive dimension.

It was necessary, in Tallon's view, to add that dimension as he had the 'defensive' defenseman roles covered with Keith, Seabrook, Barker et al.

Tallon knew he would have to 'overpay'.

Campbell has delivered exactly what Tallon wanted, and more. He has the most assists of any Hawk defenseman in over ten years.

Yes, he has some defensive coverage liabilities--and some of them have been glaring at times--but that's a risk with this kind of player. Joel Quenneville--certainly no slouch as a defenseman in his time--has worked with Campbell on those shortcomings, and finding the right defensive partner for him.

With Niklas Hjalmarsson, that pairing seems to have been found.

Incidentally, the Blackhawks have continued to improve their team defense, and as they approach the playoffs, have allowed just 8 goals while going 4-0-1 in April.

Finally, when you bring in a high ticket UFA, it works only if that player does add an extra dimension, and if they are a 'fit'.

Could the Wings win without Marian Hossa, for whom they paid $7.45MM? Sure they could. But is Hossa that 'extra element' who can give them an additional competitive edge? Of course. Is he the reason they succeed? No, it's again, a function of the team's excellence--as you know.

Campbell has earned his pay cheque with the Blackhawks so far...but the real test will come in the playoffs.

I prefer to defer judgement on him until we see the results of the second season.

And that, dear friend, is my two cents.

cool)

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^Can't argue with that. :pirat:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:^Can't argue with that.

ASQ...thanks...ALWAYS enjoy our discussions...

Have a great night...more fantastic hockey coming tomorrow!

:D: :D: :D:

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The thing about the Wings and Hossa that makes the situation slightly different, though, is that

A) The key players for the Wings, such as Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Zetterberg, are already locked away

B) Hossa is only on a one-year deal.

The length of Campbell's contract, more than anything, is what frightens me. We'll see if it affects Chicago's ability to re-sign some other very important players who are about due for a pay increase.

Last edited by asq2 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:^Can't argue with that.

ASQ...thanks...ALWAYS enjoy our discussions...

Have a great night...more fantastic hockey coming tomorrow!

:D: :D: :D:

And I as well. Smile

It's certainly nice having someone who follows Western Conference hockey extensively.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:The thing about the Wings, and Hossa that makes the situation slightly different, though, is that

A) The key players for the Wings, such as Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Zetterberg, are already locked away

B) Hossa is only on a one-year deal.

The length of Campbell's contract, more than anything, is what frightens me. We'll see if it affects Chicago's ability to re-sign some other very important players who are about due for a pay increase.

It would be naive, however, to suggest that the Hawks are alone in this sort of danger.

Dan Boyle, a tremendous addition for the Sharks, may also become a burden for the Sharks when he begins to slow and younger stars need to be re-signed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good chat last night. Really enjoyed it. Had to crash, but it was quite interesting.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Good chat last night. Really enjoyed it. Had to crash, but it was quite interesting.

Likewise :D:

IMHO we really need a dedicated thread to talk about "UFA's: who 'overpaid' and who's not?"

Hmmmm....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:Good chat last night. Really enjoyed it. Had to crash, but it was quite interesting.

IMHO we really need a dedicated thread to talk about "UFA's: who 'overpaid' and who's not?"

Hmmmm....

Go ahead and I'll sticky it for you. Smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Hmmmm....

Go ahead and I'll sticky it for you. Smile

Working on that, and a UFA/RFA goalie thread...coming shortly
cool)

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I wonder where Khabibulin will end up next year. I have a hard time believing he may end up in Russia next year. That would suck

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum