GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM!

+16
top shelf15
Sp00nz
TeamRenzo
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Jordo
beedub
Mojo
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
dennycrane
asq2
Sens4thecup
Urkie
PTFlea
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 24]

31Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:Urkie, the problem with playing Lee outside of the top-4 is that he has no chance of physically competing and maintaining against the aggressive, rough 3rd and 4th lines in the NHL. He gets manhandled and is utterly useless when put in those situations.

He'll have to learn though. If he ever wants to become a top 4 defensemen then he'll have to be able to do it all. Make him work at it and try to overcome it. That's the only way he'll ever develop.

32Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:07 pm

I honestly dont know what you can do with Lee. He is 100% a liability and makes the other teams 3rd and 4th lines legit threats to score, and he is totally outskilled on the 1st or 2nd pairings.

Again, Lee just isnt good enough to be an NHL player.

33Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:I honestly dont know what you can do with Lee. He is 100% a liability and makes the other teams 3rd and 4th lines legit threats to score, and he is totally outskilled on the 1st or 2nd pairings.

Again, Lee just isnt good enough to be an NHL player.

We'll see how Lee does from here to the rest of the season. If we don't see any kind of improvement then I guess Bell or unfortunately Picard might be a better option to put on the third pairing next season.

34Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Bell def is a better option, but I'm sure there is some sort of plan Murray has for his D. Lee, as bad as he is, is not as bad as Picard. He might be the dumbest player in the league, well him and Schubert.

35Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Bell def is a better option, but I'm sure there is some sort of plan Murray has for his D. Lee, as bad as he is, is not as bad as Picard. He might be the dumbest player in the league, well him and Schubert.

If Comrie can be re-signed then it makes Vermette kind of expendable.

The Oilers have been looking for somebody who can win faceoffs and kill penalties all season and now they've lost Visnovsky for the rest of the season so maybe they'd have some interest in Kuba.

I wonder if they'd give up Grebeshkov for Kuba and Vermette? Or I guess Smid and a 1st rounder.

36Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hey gang...good to see you are participating! Thanks.

I was at the Bell Canada SkateAThon for 'Champions For Children' today at SBP...met Antoine Vermette and Anton Volchenkov.

Wonderful to get out on NHL ice.

Had a chat with Antoine and Anton...two sincere young men who gave generously and enthusiastically of their time today.

Coach Clouston also showed up.

I want to read and reflect on everyone's ideas...and look forward to this discussion. :D :D :D

37Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Vermette by all accounts is one of the nicest, down to earth guys in the league. I have a feeling though, at the end of the day he may very well end up in Columbus... hope not though

38Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Urkie wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Bell def is a better option, but I'm sure there is some sort of plan Murray has for his D. Lee, as bad as he is, is not as bad as Picard. He might be the dumbest player in the league, well him and Schubert.

If Comrie can be re-signed then it makes Vermette kind of expendable.

The Oilers have been looking for somebody who can win faceoffs and kill penalties all season and now they've lost Visnovsky for the rest of the season so maybe they'd have some interest in Kuba.

I wonder if they'd give up Grebeshkov for Kuba and Vermette? Or I guess Smid and a 1st rounder.
Smid and a 1st would be a little bit more than the asking price for Kuba alone...

39Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Vermette by all accounts is one of the nicest, down to earth guys in the league. I have a feeling though, at the end of the day he may very well end up in Columbus... hope not though

N4L, I was curious that you haven't responded to Dale Tallon's offer for Vermette:

Option A: first rounder (probably 24th overall)

Option B: second rounder (48th overall) and D-Man Brent Sopel

Sopel is signed for next 2 seasons, 4.25MM total. 32 yrs old, 6'1'" 205 lbs., 9 yrs in the NHL. The Hawks are simply overstocked on D. Sopel has been out with a wrist injury, but may come back by playoff time. His scouting report as follows:

ASSETS: Owns a booming point shot and solid offensive instincts. Is a great student of the game and willing to play any style necessary.
FLAWS: Must make better use of his 6-1, 205-pound frame. Can at times make a mental blunder in the defensive zone. Is somewhat injury prone.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Top four defenseman.

Full story:
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?308

He looks like a definite upgrade over Kuba; for less money than Kuba, Phillips and Jason Smith. Plus the Sens get a pretty decent pick.

Are you ready to deal?

:pirat:

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

40Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:Smid and a 1st would be a little bit more than the asking price for Kuba alone...

I was just trying to be realistic. The Oilers may have to add a little more to the deal obviously.

Maybe Vermette wouldn't even be included at all and it would be Kuba for Smid and a 2nd rounder.

41Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:09 pm

That is a possible deal for sure, and dont forget, Murray has Smid in Anahiem.

Vermette is worth a 1st rounder at the deadline, no doubt in my mind there.

42Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm

davetherave wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Vermette by all accounts is one of the nicest, down to earth guys in the league. I have a feeling though, at the end of the day he may very well end up in Columbus... hope not though

N4L, I was curious that you haven't responded to Dale Tallon's offer for Vermette:

Option A: first rounder (probably 24th overall)

Option B: second rounder (48th overall) and D-Man Brent Sopel

Sopel is signed for next 2 seasons, 4.25MM total. 32 yrs old, 6'1'" 205 lbs., 9 yrs in the NHL. The Hawks are simply overstocked on D. Sopel has been out with a wrist injury, but may come back by playoff time. His scouting report as follows:

ASSETS: Owns a booming point shot and solid offensive instincts. Is a great student of the game and willing to play any style necessary.
FLAWS: Must make better use of his 6-1, 205-pound frame. Can at times make a mental blunder in the defensive zone. Is somewhat injury prone.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Top four defenseman.

Full story:
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?308

He looks like a definite upgrade over Kuba; for less money than Kuba, Phillips and Jason Smith. Plus the Sens get a pretty decent pick.

Are you ready to deal?

:pirat:

I would take the st rounder for Vermette, Sopel is a spare part on any team.

If it was Barker and a 2nd for Vermette, maybe then... but I would prob take that first rounder.

EDIT: Ive convinced myself he ends up in Columbus, smart money is right there IMO. Hawson has come out and said they are basically looking for a center who can score and play in all situations... ummm, that would be Vermette.

43Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:We really needed somebody like Campoli though. A defensemen who can actually skate the puck up the ice and join the rush from time to time. He's like Corvo only he has more upside and is younger. The best part is that he's really cheap.

As for Kuba, I'm sure he'll waive his NTC if Murray asks him too. I can't imagine him passing up the opportunity to play with a contender.

I was saying the same thing this morning. He's a lot like Corvo.

44Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:14 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Since this is fantasy:

My first order of business is to begin contract negotiations with Mike Comrie. Now that I've signed him for 4 yr./13.6 million, representing a 600K pay cut per year, I can move out some superfluous centers.

Filip Kuba is traded since I just got his replacement. I am smart in sending Kuba and my second round pick to a team I don't think will make the playoffs in exchange for their 1st and a 4th. This could garner a 12th overall pick to go with my 6th overall pick.

I have called Mike Fisher, asking him to waive his NMC. He said no. I called him back five minutes later. I'll take a 1st round pick for Fisher from Dallas. If not, Kelly gets moved out to clear space.

Antoine Vermette is not available. He also plays center or I fire the coach.

I do call Doug Wilson about Chris Neil. I also call Ken Holland in order to play the two GM's off of each other. I have no interest in trading Neil for the 58th pick overall. I offer Neil 4 mil over 3 years. He is nothing more than a 4th liner, but he satisfies the Don Cherry fanbase and sells some jerseys. I also get a kickback from local dentists. If he doesn't sign, I don't care because I get a good prospect.

Also gone is Jarkko Ruutu. He is a pest, and I'm the exterminator. I'll take a 3rd round pick.

Brian Burke? I'll tell him what him what a great idea it is to sign the Sedins for 7 million per year. I may keep a straight face through Burke's third appetizer.

Martin Gerber is placed on re-entry waivers the Friday before the deadline.

Christoph Schubert is sent to Phoenix for a 2010 5th round pick.

I offer Spezza around to test the market. I then dump him at the draft, along with the #6 and #12 I have miraculously acquired for a top 2 pick.

Last edited by dennycrane on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

45Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I personally would like to see Karlsson come over next year and play in the CHL so he can become accustomed to the Canadian Game. Similar to how Suter handled Backlund after the WJC. I think Karlsson could learn alot by playing a year in the CHL.

46Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 pm

dennycrane wrote:Since this is fantasy:

My first order of business is to begin contract negotiations with Mike Comrie. Now that I've signed him for 4 yr./13.6 million, representing a 600K pay cut per year, I can move out some superfluous centers.

Filip Kuba is traded since I just got his replacement. I am smart in sending Kuba and my second round pick to a team I don't think will make the playoffs in exchange for their 1st and a 4th. This could garner a 12th overall pick to go with my 6th overall pick.

I have called Mike Fisher, asking him to waive his NMC. He said no. I called him back five minutes later. I'll take a 1st round pick for Fisher from Dallas. If not, Kelly gets moved out to clear space.

Antoine Vermette is not available. He also plays center or I fire the coach.

I do call Doug Wilson about Chris Neil. I also call Ken Holland in order to play the two GM's off of each other. I have no interest in trading Neil for the 58th pick overall. I offer Neil 4 mil over 3 years. He is nothing more than a 4th liner, but he satisfies the Don Cherry fanbase and sells some jerseys. I also get a kickback from local dentists. If he doesn't sign, I don't care because I get a good prospect.

Also gone is Jarkko Ruutu. He is a pest, and I'm the exterminator. I'll take a 3rd round pick.

Brian Burke? I'll tell him what him what a great idea it is to sign the Sedins for 7 million per year. I may keep a straight face through Burke's third appetizer.

Martin Gerber is placed on re-entry waivers the Friday before the deadline.

Christoph Schubert is sent to Phoenix for a 2010 5th round pick.

I offer Spezza around to test the market. I then dump him at the draft, along with the #6 and #12 I have miraculously acquired for a top 2 pick.
Are you seriously proposing Spezza and two first round picks for one first round pick? You're fired.
A few more things:
- Paying Comrie more than 3 million and signing him for more than 3 years would be a massive blunder. He takes a serious paycut this year, regardless of where he signs.
-My first order of business is to trade Kuba. No ifs, ands, or buts... Forget patience, forget waiting to drive the price up; he's gone tomorrow.
-You better believe Mike Fisher is worth more than just a 1st. People all over this city undervalue him in the most ridiculous way. Literally 30 NHL teams would take him at that cap number. He stays here - Same goes for Kelly and Vermette.
-Neil & Ruutu....I think they're worth more, but w/e I'll take what I can get.
-Forget the Sedins; I'm talking to Burke about Spezza: Spezza, Campoli, OTT 2010 1st to Toronto for Kaberle, Shenn, TOR 1st in '09 and '10, Dominic Moore (extension pre-negotiated)
No Shenn? No deal. Have fun with the Sedins.

47Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^Burke would not accept that.

Take out TOR's first in 2010, change ours from 2010 to 2009 and it gets closer.

48Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:I personally would like to see Karlsson come over next year and play in the CHL so he can become accustomed to the Canadian Game. Similar to how Suter handled Backlund after the WJC. I think Karlsson could learn alot by playing a year in the CHL.

I think he's much better off in the SEL. In Sweden, they don't really have an off-season break, the team stays together to train IIRC.

I'd much rather have him get accustomed to playing against men.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum