GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM!

+16
top shelf15
Sp00nz
TeamRenzo
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Jordo
beedub
Mojo
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
dennycrane
asq2
Sens4thecup
Urkie
PTFlea
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 24]

1Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:33 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Well, as the saying goes, "They are who we thought they were".

When Cory Clouston took over behind the bench, the Senators were 13 points out of a playoff spot. Today, the gap sits at 15 points. After a brief flurry and an unprecedented five game winning streak, the Sens have dropped three in a row to offer up a 5-3-2 record in their last ten. Respectable, but hardly what they need to overcome the hole they dug this season.

Ottawa GM Bryan Murray's performance naturally comes under scrutiny. Going from a Stanley Cup finalist to bottom five in less than two years, Murray's handling of the Senators has created a storm of polarized opinions. These range from calls to have him fired to elaborate pleas to let him 'put his stamp on the team'.

This morning though, Eugene Melnyk has--in fans' wildest dreams, of course--decided to turn the future of the Senators over to YOU.

YOU are the GM. YOU have Mr Melnyk's chequebook and an interim contract through the Summer Entry draft and UFA season.

What will YOU do?

Don't forget, you're dealing with the best hockey men in the business. They know the Sens are hurting--and they're not going to give anything away. Nor are they going to bite on deals that work for you, unless those deals work for them.

And--Uncle Gene will be looking over your shoulder. So will Bryan Murray, who has been asked to 'step aside and assume an advisory role'--while remaining in the background, ready to jump back in should you falter.

You will be expected to present a no-nonsense, hard-nosed picture of the situation.

You have to keep in mind that the fans need to be convinced the team you propose will fill the seats at SBP.

Looking at the current roster, you need to make tough decisions on who gets re-signed, who walks, who's waived, and who gets traded; who gets called up for this year and next.

You're competing in the marketplace for available talent with 29 other GMs.

If your deals are well thought out, it's a virtual jackpot: a multi-million dollar long term contract for you, your own parking spot at SBP, a permanent invitation to Uncle Gene's horse farm in Ocala and your own seat at Bert's Bar in Barbados. Get it wrong, and you join former Sens execs under the wheels of the bus.

If you'd like to make a deal, be prepared to do your homework.

So, on this thread, I'd like to invite everybody to 'Be the Sens GM'.

All deals will be considered, and all thoroughly analysed and criticised by all of us--all in the spirit of good fun and sportsmanship of course. 8)

It should be interesting to look at the deals our forum members propose, and see how close to reality they are--as the trading and draft seasons develop.

Have fun!

2Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:00 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wow, the virtual phone is ringing already.

It's Dale Tallon from Chicago, offering the Hawks' first rounder for Vermette.

On the other line, San Jose's Doug Wilson is dangling a second rounder for Chris Neil.

And wait...Doug Risebrough from Minnesota wants to talk about Mike Comrie. So does Jim Rutherford...the Canes are getting close to that playoff spot. But then you've got the Sabres' Darcy Regier on hold too.

The Stars' Les Jackson wants to make a deal. Mike Fisher's name has come up.

Brian Burke wants to know if you want to meet him for brunch. Drinks on him.

Looks like a busy Sunday.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

3Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll take part in this Dave.

First priority is to move the UFAs for the best possible packages.

- Kuba to the highest bidder. Looking for a 20th overall-ish 1st rounder, or a 2nd rounder and a useful prospect.

-One last chance. I offer Neil a 3 year, 4.5 million dollar package. If he balks, then it's Neil to the highest bidder. Looking for a 2nd rounder (ha ha), but will settle for a prospect with good upside. Might build the trade around a mid-to-high level goalie prospect coming our way.

-Vermette I would not trade to be honest. I like the way he's meshed with Dany Heatley and I think there's room for him on this team. He's one guy whos intangibles are actually really important. If he is moved, the starting price is a 1st rounder (teams should have tried harder to get him when they had the chance). Ideally, if he's moved it's part of a package for a number 1 D-man to come back. Someone potentially making 6+ million with 3 years left or so. This deal could happen in the summer, but ideally I get to keep Vermette.

-Mike Comrie is a dumb situation. If I acquired him last week like Murray did, then I would have him under contract by Monday. And if not, I absolutely would flip him. No questions asked. I like him a lot as a player, but he's gonna need to sign very soon.

-I would entertain offers for any of the D-man with the exception of Volchenkov. If Brian Lee is going, then I want it to be as part of a package for a real number one D-man. Picard's an odd one, I wouldn't have acquired him in the first place, but if I did, then now would NOT be the time to move him (unless it's part of a package). Bell has no value.

-I would listen to offers for Jason Smith, but ideally, I wouldn't make this move. He offers a lot more that just hard-nosed play and is entering his final year next year. I can afford him moving forward. But...if someone offers me a 2nd rounder, I'm in.

-You guys all know that come Hell or high water, I'd trade Chris Kelly. Even if I'm taking back a POS prospect, I'm clearing that $$. No questions asked. If I can't, I'll package him with Vermette to make him more attractive, but we don't start next season with Chris Kelly on the Sens.

Off limits:

Now that I've traded Neil, Kuba, Kelly, Schubert (ha ha) and hopefully a couple of other minor pieces, these are the guys I'm looking to be a part of the team next year and beyond:

Mike Fisher
Foligno
Shannon
Campoli (I suppose)
Volchenkov
The Big 3
Vermette
Winchester
Ruutu (have to keep him with Neil going)
Regin
Z.Smith

Anyone else not named Karlsson, Wiercioch is available at the right price. If the team's cap doesn't allow for a stud number one D-man, then you have no choice but to trade one of Fisher or Vermette, but hopefully I can juggle things properly until Phillips comes off the books, Smith as well, Fisher's NMC becomes a limited NTC (I'd like to win a Cup with Fisher though).

Nothing happens without a new D. So...that's what I would try to do.

4Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:58 pm

504Heater wrote:I'llPicard's an odd one, I wouldn't have acquired him in the first place, but if I did, then now would NOT be the time to move him (unless it's part of a package).
With every passing day that trade gets more and more painful. The fact that we gave up TB's first to get this idiot is the worst. When it comes down to it, we may have given up MSP or Duchene so we could get Diddle Picard 🇳🇴
If Kuba doesn't waive, hindsight will make that trade the worst since the Havlat trade. Don't get me wrong, I praised it at the time, but goddam that sucks now!!

5Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:With every passing day that trade gets more and more painful. The fact that we gave up TB's first to get this idiot is the worst. When it comes down to it, we may have given up MSP or Duchene so we could get Diddle Picard 🇳🇴
If Kuba doesn't waive, hindsight will make that trade the worst since the Havlat trade. Don't get me wrong, I praised it at the time, but goddam that sucks now!!

I'll still like it if Campoli turns out to be good. Picard probably has some value - and I'll have to kick Kuba's arse if he doesn't waive.

We'll still come out far ahead IMO, but it was very odd. I've said it once and I'll say it again: You get what you pay for.

6Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:10 pm

I can tell from watching him in the last game that Campoli is going to get on my (and probably all of your) nerves. He'll do some solid things for us in the point-production department, but on our side of the puck, we'll be glad we've got Smith and co...

If Kuba doesn't waive, I'm going to buy a ticket to every remaining home game and pelt him with random objects. It'll start with popcorn, then I'll throw a twix bar, then a pretzel with mustard, and I'll finish the season with a dead fish.

7Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:I can tell from watching him in the last game that Campoli is going to get on my (and probably all of your) nerves. He'll do some solid things for us in the point-production department, but on our side of the puck, we'll be glad we've got Smith and co...

If Kuba doesn't waive, I'm going to buy a ticket to every remaining home game and pelt him with random objects. It'll start with popcorn, then I'll throw a twix bar, then a pretzel with mustard, and I'll finish the season with a dead fish.

We really needed somebody like Campoli though. A defensemen who can actually skate the puck up the ice and join the rush from time to time. He's like Corvo only he has more upside and is younger. The best part is that he's really cheap.

As for Kuba, I'm sure he'll waive his NTC if Murray asks him too. I can't imagine him passing up the opportunity to play with a contender.

8Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Just a thought....send Kelly or Vermette to Montreal for PK Suppan (sp?) and a pick? Again, just a thought.

9Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:29 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Sens4thecup wrote:Just a thought....send Kelly or Vermette to Montreal for PK Suppan (sp?) and a pick? Again, just a thought.

I don't think Montreal's interested in dealing Subban.

It would definitely have to be Vermette that would be dealt.

But we might be overcrowding our blue-line of the future.

The Karlssons, Wiercioch, Lee, Volchenkov, Picard, Subban and potentially Cowen or Hedman?

Who up-front is going to take advantage of that kind of fire-power?

10Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:34 pm

You forgot Capolli too, now.

11Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:35 pm

I seriously doubt Lee will be here past March 4th. I also seriously doubt that Gainey will deal a highly-touted prospect to a division rival.

Yeah, Urkie, I hear you. I'm not saying its a bad thing, having Campoli here, but I guarantee he'll do a lot of annoying things...

12Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Not more anoying than Phillips or Redden, simply impossible. Or Lee.

13Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Not more anoying than Phillips or Redden, simply impossible. Or Lee.

You mentioned that you saw problems with Lee a week ago or so. Well, Lee has started to frustrate me the last few games. He's stopped skating and is starting to make poor decisions on the breakout. Those are supposed to be he's strengths and without them he is pretty much useless.

If a team asked for him in a trade (if the return was good) then I would probably deal him. We have a lot of defensemen in the fold now and could afford to do so now. Picard is another guy that could be an add in.

14Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Urkie wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Not more anoying than Phillips or Redden, simply impossible. Or Lee.

You mentioned that you saw problems with Lee a week ago or so. Well, Lee has started to frustrate me the last few games. He's stopped skating and is starting to make poor decisions on the breakout. Those are supposed to be he's strengths and without them he is pretty much useless.

If a team asked for him in a trade (if the return was good) then I would probably deal him. We have a lot of defensemen in the fold now and could afford to do so now. Picard is another guy that could be an add in.

Once E. Karlsson gets here Lee will be so useless he might as well be playing tennis.

I cant stand Lee, and like I said, he isnt good enough at what he does well to not do the other things needed to be successful. Lee is a 1st round bomb, not that it is his fault, he should have never been drafted 9th overall, so expectations on him were impossible to live up to for the most part. Blame the Sens.

Lee just isnt even close to good enough and Bell should def be getting that playing time, but I think they may be showcasing Lee right now. Picard is just awful as well.

15Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Empty Re: Sens Reality Check: YOU are the GM! Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Once E. Karlsson gets here Lee will be so useless he might as well be playing tennis.

I cant stand Lee, and like I said, he isnt good enough at what he does well to not do the other things needed to be successful. Lee is a 1st round bomb, not that it is his fault, he should have never been drafted 9th overall, so expectations on him were impossible to live up to for the most part. Blame the Sens.

Lee just isnt even close to good enough and Bell should def be getting that playing time, but I think they may be showcasing Lee right now. Picard is just awful as well.

I tend to agree. Lee has started to show that he has some serious holes in his game. Picard and Bell have some holes in their games as well though. Now with Campoli it makes 2 out of those 3 guys kind of expendable in the right kind of deal. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is packaged in a deal at the trade deadline.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 24]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum