GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockeybums is reporting Malik has been signed???

+6
shabbs
Phoenix30
PTFlea
rooneypoo
PKC
jamvan
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

Dawg's Wife wrote:
PKC wrote:I just don't see why we'd sign this kid to a 1-way contract to have him play in the minors. Seems a bit excessive to pay him 550,000 down in Bingo, no?

Winchester was one of the most sought after unsigned players in the NCAA last year. Ottawa went after him and in the end it took a one way deal to get him to commit.

I trust Murray on this one, his and his network of scouts has shown in the past they can find some real gems as over age players emerging from the NCAA
I'm actually really excited about the prospect of Winchester. The kid clearly has a head for hockey and the game as a whole and has been decribed as a young Rod Brindamour' . It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him at least start the year here.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

A young Brind'amour? That does sound promising? Is he the top 6 forward we've been looking for?

PKC wrote:A young Brind'amour? That does sound promising? Is he the top 6 forward we've been looking for?

Let me put it this way. If several years ago Bryan Murray came to you and said, I have a chance to get Dustin Penner or Chris Kunitz, both of whom will be top 6 forwards on our team, but I'll have to give them a one way contract...

would you have done it?

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Dawg's Wife wrote:
PKC wrote:A young Brind'amour? That does sound promising? Is he the top 6 forward we've been looking for?

Let me put it this way. If several years ago Bryan Murray came to you and said, I have a chance to get Dustin Penner or Chris Kunitz, both of whom will be top 6 forwards on our team, but I'll have to give them a one way contract...

would you have done it?
Awesome point DW!

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

He's definitely going to be given that shot. They currently have him penciled in to play with Fisher and probably Vermette.

The lines are "tentatively" are as follows:

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Fisher-Winchester
Foligno-Kelly-Neil
Ruttu-McCammond-Donovan/Schubert

They want to guarantee the big 3 don't get burnt out. Expect their ice-time to get cut by about 3-5 minutes on average.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:They want to guarantee the big 3 don't get burnt out. Expect their ice-time to get cut by about 3-5 minutes on average.
Now referred to as getting Paddocked.

Wink

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:

My husband asked me to comment. One way deals do not mean that they can't move between the minor league team and the NHL club. In fact Winchesters deal simply means that he is paid the same salary regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or Bingo. Now whether he has to clear waivers to go down to Bingo depends on age, years service...etc.

He doesn't know if he has to clear waivers to go down, he suspects that he doesn't similar to Foligno and Bass last year, however he's not 100% certain.

I've looked into this question before. Given the age at which he signed his new deal (24), his total NHL seasons (1), and his total NHL games played, I'm quite certain that he would be exempt from all regular and re-entry waivers.

My reasons for so believing are based on my reading of pp.66-67 of the CBA, article 13.4:

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

If anyone has a different interpretation of those passages, please let me know.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

[quote="jamvan"]
PKC wrote:
He's definitely going to be given that shot. They currently have him penciled in to play with Fisher and probably Vermette.

The lines are "tentatively" are as follows:

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Fisher-Winchester
Foligno-Kelly-Neil
Ruttu-McCammond-Donovan/Schubert

They want to guarantee the big 3 don't get burnt out. Expect their ice-time to get cut by about 3-5 minutes on average.

That's actually a pretty sweet third line: defensively strong, hard-hitting, and could chip in something like 40-45 goals over the course of the season. Pretty mean-@ss fourth-line, too -- although it does raise questions about what happens here if Nycholat takes the 6th D spot and Schubert gets moved to the wing. That might push one of Winchester or Foligno out.

Thanks for the links, Rooney. I remember reading that Sens.com article, but I forgot it was mentioned in it.
PKC wrote:I understand that. But why would we sign him to so much money just to play him in the minors?
He obviously isn't going to play in the minors if he's actually on a 1-way

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum