GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Clouston Factor

+16
TheAvatar
wprager
beerandsens
smash88
shabbs
Cronie
Acrobat
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
SeawaySensFan
PKC
Jordo
caissie_1
PTFlea
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

61The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Jordo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I could definitely see it to be honest. If the sens start playing really well, they should... he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

62The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree thus far Jordo. I guess I was curious to hear what others thought.

Clouston's first order of business, for me, is to instill some confidence in these guys to break away from what appears to be Hartsburg's binding system that left them confused and smothered, and institute a 2 man forecheck and what seems to be a run and gun system they had 2 seasons ago that paid off quite well; although I don't think our D is anywhere NEAR the level is could be or SHOULD be to institute that kind of system full-time.

63The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

Our D is no where near that level in terms of passing that is why Clouston has them standing up at the blue lines and pinching in to keep pucks in the zone. A PMD would be nice but clouston's little strategy seems to been working around that so far

64The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:55 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I think it is a little to early for me to provide my opinion. I guess I am a little jaded from the rollercoaster season thus far. Just when we think that they are turning a corner they let another stinker game hit us in the face. I will hold judgement until the end of February. At that point we should be able to determine if this change in momentum is here to stay or if it is just another fluke that will send another coach packing.

65The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:09 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Clouston Effect
Senators extend winning streak to three

Allen Panzeri, The Ottawa Citizen, Thursday, February 12, 2009

PHILADELPHIA-Here's hoping that Craig Hartsburg is still on vacation with his wife, Peggy, in some tropical location where broadcasts of NHL games aren't available.
Otherwise Hartsburg must be wondering: Why didn't those guys do that when I was their coach?

For the first time this season, the Ottawa Senators have won three games in a row. Thursday night's 5-2 victory against the Philadelphia Flyers followed wins in a home-and-home series against the Buffalo Sabres.

The beneficiary of this resurgence is Cory Clouston, who is looking more and more like the coach who will be behind the bench with the National Hockey League team next October.

Why Senators players are listening to Clouston when they wouldn't listen to Hartsburg is one of those mysteries that gets played out almost every time there's a coaching change. Who knows what dynamics are in play?

Still, Clouston seems to have the players' ear, which can only be a good thing for Ottawa hockey fans and for general manager Bryan Murray, who needed a three-game winning streak almost more than the team.

The Senators were full marks for Thursday night's victory.

Dany Heatley scored two goals for the Senators, while Jason Spezza, Nick Foligno, and Antoine Vermette had one each.

Brian Elliott, in his sixth consecutive start in net, picked up his seventh win. He faced 36 shots.

"Our goalie was the best player on the ice," Clouston said.

"Our energy level dropped off in the third (period) and they came at us hard. They showed why they're a top-end team. We bent, but we didn't break.

"We made some mental mistakes, we had some moments when we weren't on the same page, but the guys worked hard and were able to make the best of their chances."

Darroll Powe and Mike Richards scored for the Flyers (28-16-9), who didn't get a very good game from goaltender Antero Niittymaki. He faced only 23 shots from the Senators.

Heatley's second goal was initially credited to Daniel Alfredsson, but upon review, it was determined that Heatley's shot had been the one to enter the net.

He needed a good night after a lousy week in which he landed in the newspaper headlines almost every day.

"We feel good about ourselves, obviously," Heatley said. "We beat two pretty good teams. It's nice. We're starting to play the hockey we're capable of."

Heatley said the transformation in the Senators was due to a different style. Clouston has the team skating.

"I just think this is a style that's a little more suited to this team," Heatley said.
"We've got some guys who can skate, guys who can score some goals, and we're taking advantage of that, getting some chances on offence and going to the net. That makes a difference."

The game didn't start well for the Senators.

Almost immediately, they picked up where they left off against the Sabres on Wednesday night, when they took 13 minor penalties and one 10-minute misconduct, taking a couple more needless penalties.

They couldn't blame the referees for these. Filip Kuba and Brendan Bell were assessed holding penalties after they got outmanoeuvred by Philadelphia skaters.
Fortunately, the damage was mitigated when Flyers forward Scott Hartnell took a penalty for interference just seconds before Kuba's penalty ended.

Both teams had a couple of decent chances in the period, but neither could cash in until Heatley got some help from Niittymaki.

Heatley's shot from the left circle bounced off the right post and into the crease, and then off Niittymaki's left pad and into the net for the Senators left-winger's 23rd goal of the season.

It was one of those breaks the likes of which the Senators haven't been receiving very many this season.

To the chagrin of the crowd, the Senators added two more goals in the second period, and Elliott played flawlessly.

At a couple of points, Elliott was under siege from the Flyers, who had 13 shots in the period. During one particularly rough patch, Clouston was forced to call a 30-second timeout just to give his players some breathing room.

"We were scrambling pretty hard," Clouston said.

Spezza made it 2-0 at 8:40 with a power-play goal, one similar to the one he scored in Buffalo on Wednesday.

From the bottom of the right faceoff circle, Bell made a pass through the crease and Spezza put it in at the left post. This time, though, it hit his stick instead of bouncing in off his skate, as it had in Buffalo.

Foligno's goal, with 13.8 seconds left, followed a nice pass from Ryan Shannon, but then Foligno made it work. He faked Niittymaki out of position and, from the right circle, beat him with a backhand shot.

When he got back to the bench, the first thing he did was look at the score clock to see the replay.

After Powe got the Flyers on the scoreboard at 8:00 of the third period, Heatley added his second of the night and 24th of the season at 10:15.

Richards again closed the gap to two goals at 10:54, but Vermette restored the three-goal lead for the Senators with an unassisted score at 15:20.

Notes: Christoph Schubert and Alexandre Picard were healthy scratches again. ... Elliott is expected to start against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday night. The Senators are 20-25-8 with this win.

66The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Metal = WIN

67The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:51 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:Does anyone think Clouston will be behind the Sens bench to start the 2009-2010 season?

Clouston will lose the 'interim' tag, and probably score himself a two year deal. I like how the players both listen to him and communicate with him.

He is so subtle in his coaching. Notice against Buffalo, Heatley only played 12 minutes. Clouston very quickly after the game took the heat on it, but the bottom line, Heatley was playing like Dung, and got his ice time cut.

Don't tell me that it was because we were constantly killing penalties. Heatley can kill penalties when he feels like it.

68The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Interesting point Bee. Did anyone see this snipit in today's Sun?

AROUND THE BOARDS: Senators coach Cory Clouston said he has to do a better job managing the bench after RW Dany Heatley played only 12:44 with 16 shifts vs. the Sabres Wednesday. "It's not enough. It's my fault. We've got to get him more ice time and I've got to find ways to get him out there more," said Clouston. "It wasn't an indication of his play, it was because we had (12) penalty kills. Sometimes the ways games develop it becomes a little bit out of your control. But, he needs to get more ice time. He's one of our elite players and he needs to get out there more to be effective." ...

69The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:41 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bruce "The Super Fan" Garrioch was defending Heatley and insisting that it was just a circumstance of the Fraser debacle. I think he pissed Eastwood off.

70The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA HOCKEY SHAPED NHL'S NEWEST COACH
The winning tradition of the U of A's Bears hockey teams are mentioned in a quick profile of Cory Clouston. Clouston a former Bears player is now head coach of the Ottawa Senators. His U of A ways are making a difference with the once floundering Sens. Legendary Bears coach Clare Drake is gets credit for setting the standard for hockey and coaching at the U of A.
Link: http://www.criticalmention.com/report/6850x57307.htm

71The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:00 pm

I like what's going on with Clouston and how he has the team playing hard and playing with confidence. But lets not kid ourselves, just as much credit should be going to Elliott! Having a guy back there that stops the puck with consistancy and at key times is allowing Clouston to play the system he wants to put in. There is not the fear of 1 mistake and it is in the net.

Love what Clouston is doing, but Elliott gets just as much credit for this team playing like it is.

72The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Elliott has been in 13 games with a 7-3-2 record overall (there must have been a no-decision there). He was 4-2-1 under Hartsburg and 3-1-1 since Clouston took over. The winning percentage is .643 under Hartsburg and .700 under Clouston.

Way too early after 4 games, but .700 gets us into the playoffs. Split the difference and a .670 record gets us 91 points. The way some teams are going the cutoff may not be 94 this year. It's going to be freaking close.

73The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Strike the last post, some bad math there.

74The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Strike the last post, some bad math there.

Bad math notwithstanding, I get what you're saying and I agree.

I'd like to have the 94-point cutoff standings in front of me to analyze further.

75The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:33 pm

I dont think the Sens will carry on this pace, but if they work hard, Im cool with it.

76The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Neely4Life wrote:I dont think the Sens will carry on this pace, but if they work hard and lose, Im cool with it.

Fixed Wink

77The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:45 pm

hemlock wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I dont think the Sens will carry on this pace, but if they work hard and lose, Im cool with it.

Fixed Wink

haha, beauty.

78The Clouston Factor - Page 5 Empty Re: The Clouston Factor Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:I like what's going on with Clouston and how he has the team playing hard and playing with confidence. But lets not kid ourselves, just as much credit should be going to Elliott! Having a guy back there that stops the puck with consistancy and at key times is allowing Clouston to play the system he wants to put in. There is not the fear of 1 mistake and it is in the net.

Love what Clouston is doing, but Elliott gets just as much credit for this team playing like it is.

Holy Dung...we agree.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum