GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How much will Brian Elliot ask for this summer?

+11
davetherave
SensGirl11
wprager
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
Phoenix30
BigRig
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's an RFA, I don't believe any team has an option to present an offer sheet (ha ha). The Sens will qualify him, but what do you think he gets paid per year? And for how long a term?

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:He's an RFA, I don't believe any team has an option to present an offer sheet (ha ha). The Sens will qualify him, but what do you think he gets paid per year? And for how long a term?

At this point, I'd say it's very much up in the air. There's a couple of 'what ifs'...

a) what if he stands in his head and this team not only makes the playoffs, but go far?

b) what if he does okay but we're still out of the playoffs

c) what if he starts getting blown out

Being a betting man, I would see a 2 year @ 1.0M per type deal. Maybe some incentives in there cause we know what happens when Ottawa gives their young goalies a lot of guaranteed money....RAY!!!!!

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

It really depends on how he does and I think this is one of the reasons why Murray called him up. I am think in around the 1 to 1.5m for a couple of years which would give Murray the flexibility to get another star goalie if Elliott falters down the stretch and into next season. If he does well next season then his payday will come.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

1... beeleeon... dollarssss.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't want to hit 1.5 on an unproven last choice in the draft guy. I'm of the opinion that you have to earn being here in Ottawa. Play lights out for at least 2 years, then I would think about giving you 2 million, but as of right now, you're just another goalie with potential. I'm done paying for potential personally, you want to play, then you play for 942K, 1 million would be my plateau.

What can he say? No?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I don't want to hit 1.5 on an unproven last choice in the draft guy. I'm of the opinion that you have to earn being here in Ottawa. Play lights out for at least 2 years, then I would think about giving you 2 million, but as of right now, you're just another goalie with potential. I'm done paying for potential personally, you want to play, then you play for 942K, 1 million would be my plateau.

What can he say? No?

Of course he can say no. That's one benefit of being an RFA. See Meszaros, Andrej.

Anyway, it's too early to talk about this. If Elliott is a rock for the next 3 months, then he's obviously going to sign for more than if he sinks and gets returned to the minors.

Best case scenario? He signs for 2-3 year deal for something like $1.5 mil. Worse case scenario (cap-wise)? He signs for a 2-3 year deal for something like $2.5 mil. Any combination of years / money in those ranges won't surprise me.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Of course he can say no. That's one benefit of being an RFA. See Meszaros, Andrej.

Anyway, it's too early to talk about this. If Elliott is a rock for the next 3 months, then he's obviously going to sign for more than if he sinks and gets returned to the minors.

Best case scenario? He signs for 2-3 year deal for something like $1.5 mil. Worse case scenario (cap-wise)? He signs for a 2-3 year deal for something like $2.5 mil. Any combination of years / money in those ranges won't surprise me.

I'm not sure how it works for guys coming off their 1st entry level contract with less than a season played. I would hope there's some kind of reprieve from paying them more than a mil in seasons 4, 5 and 6.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know about the amount, but make sure you sign him as long as Alfie is still on this team. If he becomes the next Mason his payraise will be ugly in two years, with a salary cap going down.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'm not sure how it works for guys coming off their 1st entry level contract with less than a season played. I would hope there's some kind of reprieve from paying them more than a mil in seasons 4, 5 and 6.

The only one I can think off the top of my head is Staal. I think he is coming off his 1st entry level contract and he signed for 4m. So I don't think there are limits after the 1st one is done. Elliotts contract will be based on how he plays. 1 to 1.5 is a realistic number over a couple of years if he plays well enough to out play Auld but not Luongo good. Its tough to compare him to anyone. Is Elliott worth a Fleury, Leighton, Leclaire contract?

I think you sign him for the same $$$ as Auld. 2 years and $1M. Send Piere McFag to the negotiating table to cut him down.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:Is Elliott worth a Fleury, Leighton, Leclaire contract?

No chance. I think we're looking at 1.2 million X 2 years, there would be one year left before he hits UFA status and we can evaluate him at that point.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

less than Auld....

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Here's my predictions for RFA Brian Elliott (23)
Maximum - $2.2 x 2 yrs (Mike Smith, 26).
Medium - $1.75 x 2 yrs (Dan Ellis, 28).
Minimum - $.775 x 2 yrs (Jaroslav Halak, 23)
--------------------
Average - $1.575

It's reasonable to think he could get anywhere between the low and high, based on his level of play.

I think the Senators have recognized their mistakes in awarding high priced contracts to players based on recent play (Gerber, Emery, Fisher). Cannot see them overpaying for a long period, even if it means Elliott turns into the next Kiprusoff/Nabokov in 2 years and is a UFA.

I'd offer him about $995K for two years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If he doesn't play 10 games, does his RFA status still kick in?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If he doesn't play 10 games, does his RFA status still kick in?

Yep. Doesn't matter if he plays 0 NHL games, for that matter. The key factors in determining RFA / UFA status are the age of the player, the number of years he's played professional hockey, and the number of years that have elapsed since he was drafted.

The Ellis and Smith deals mentioned above sounds about right. Everything will depend on how what Elliott does with these final 3 months of the season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum