GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

After the first half, what would you do with Chris Kelly this summer?

+3
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What to do with Kelly?

After the first half, what would you do with Chris Kelly this summer? Vote_lcap257%After the first half, what would you do with Chris Kelly this summer? Vote_rcap2 57% [ 4 ]
After the first half, what would you do with Chris Kelly this summer? Vote_lcap243%After the first half, what would you do with Chris Kelly this summer? Vote_rcap2 43% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

After the season he's had, it's hard to imagine letting a player this valuable go - however, his value will likely never be higher.

What do you do if you're the head honcho (GM)?

And when I say his value is never higher, I still only mean a 2nd round pick or a solid role playing D-man. Nothing spectacular, so don't get any ideas or Kelly + Lee for Kovalchuk or anything.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you try trading Kelly at the deadline and put Z. Smith in his place.

- Unknown Author

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I'd like to keep him as the 3rd line center (hopefully Regin becomes 2nd center and Fish moves to wing). It would be a shame to let a leader and valuable asset such as Kelly go due to the bloated salary of Cheechoo.

However, only if it's a MAJOR trade and the trade partner demands Kelly to be included in the deal (a la murray demanding Michalek), then I'd do it. That would signify a done deal for a major component....otherwise he's too valuable for PK duties and secondary offence.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thing is, as well as he's playing now, his career-to-date says that this is a blip, an anomaly. Next year he's likely to, again, win 40% of his face offs, get you 12 goals and play great defensively. Zach Smith won't be as good defensively, but he can still be an effective PKer, and for one third the cap-hit.

I's love to keep Kelly and Neil on this team at around $3M for both of them. Since I can't do that, one of them should be replaced. Move Kelly at the deadline and bring Smith back up. In a couple of years we may be having a similar discussion about Neil.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

He is a major part, in terms of leadership also. we won't get any upgrade for trading him, and we won't get anything better than a 3rd rounder, especially when you see a guy like Ryan Oreilly drafted in the 2nd round.
We will buy cheechoo out before we trade kelly.

I would send Cheechoo down to the minors, and bring him up on re-entry. I'd be willing to pay half of his contract next year if it means we let someone more deserving play. For $1.5 million and one-year Cheechoo isn't that much of a gamble. At $3 million he is up there with Redden...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:I would send Cheechoo down to the minors, and bring him up on re-entry. I'd be willing to pay half of his contract next year if it means we let someone more deserving play. For $1.5 million and one-year Cheechoo isn't that much of a gamble. At $3 million he is up there with Redden...

Or buy him out in the summer and take the 1 million cap hit for 2 years. Either way.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I still think Cheechoo can be part of a deal to bring Souray in from Edmonton. He's the kind of money contract you need to make a trade work without giving up a piece of your winning combination.

Cheechoo + Kelly + Lee + Picard/Campoli + 3rd for Souray + Cogliano

Makes sense both ways I think.

Edmonton gets Souray's money off the books, they get one more year of Cheechoo to buy out/play, Kelly gives them something they desperately need on a team with an embarassing PK, Lee + the other d-man make them younger on the back end, and a pick is a pick.

Money works out for both teams and everyone's happy as far as I know.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I still think Cheechoo can be part of a deal to bring Souray in from Edmonton. He's the kind of money contract you need to make a trade work without giving up a piece of your winning combination.

Edmonton gets Souray's money off the books, they get one more year of Cheechoo to buy out/play, Kelly gives them something they desperately need on a team with an embarassing PK, Lee + the other d-man make them younger on the back end, and a pick is a pick.

Yeah, I'd do that I think. Kelly's a shame, but what can you do?

marakh wrote:He is a major part, in terms of leadership also. we won't get any upgrade for trading him, and we won't get anything better than a 3rd rounder, especially when you see a guy like Ryan Oreilly drafted in the 2nd round.
We will buy cheechoo out before we trade kelly.

I agree with this 100%

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:I still think Cheechoo can be part of a deal to bring Souray in from Edmonton. He's the kind of money contract you need to make a trade work without giving up a piece of your winning combination.

It's tough, but we're getting a piece in return that's probably more significant to the team, given how many PKers we have.

Who knows, it's probably not enough for Souray.

Yeah, I'd do that I think. Kelly's a shame, but what can you do?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't know why Cogliano is still mentioned in trade rumours. I suppose it is that on a good team he could be a 60 point player, but he's a RFA and Edmonton should keep their young players as long as they can.

Next year they could have Eberle, MPS, Gagner, Brule, Cogliano O'Marra, Pouliot... maybe Omark comes over from the KHL. Could be an entertaining team. Sure, they will lose a lot of games, but the young guys will be given plenty of ice time to develop.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I really don't know why Cogliano is still mentioned in trade rumours. I suppose it is that on a good team he could be a 60 point player, but he's a RFA and Edmonton should keep their young players as long as they can.

Next year they could have Eberle, MPS, Gagner, Brule, Cogliano O'Marra, Pouliot... maybe Omark comes over from the KHL. Could be an entertaining team. Sure, they will lose a lot of games, but the young guys will be given plenty of ice time to develop.

With Eberle and MPS coming up and guys like Penner, Hemsky, Horcoff, O'Sullivan, Gagner and Comrie, where does Cogs fit in?

Sure they might try to move Penner and Horcoff.

If they do move Penner -- yes please.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

They might trade Hemsky. It's a tough decision - he's still fairly young, affordable, signed for a few more years - which makes him all the more attractive to other teams. He'd certainly get a nice return and in a rebuild thats what it is about.

Horcoff is a tough sell. Penner is still a gamble for teams. He's had 2 poor seasons and is improving this year and has that fat contract.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Eberle and MPS are not centers but they are quite fast. Cogs could be their center, he kinda plays the same style.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum